Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(USA) Domestic Airline Pricing Class Action Lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
(USA) Domestic Airline Pricing Class Action Lawsuit

I promise I tried searching but couldn't find an existing thread.

I got an email referencing a partial settlement from what looks like an antitrust suit against the US major airlines for basically working together to artificially increase fares. It references a website (www.DomesticAirClass.com) which I haven't yet visited, but from the couple news articles and a TPG post it seems legitimate.

Anyone else receive this or have any insight/thoughts around it? If I've just missed some other massive thread discussing it, I'm happy to have someone redirect me there!
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:42 pm

Its a scam

it is a scam! Why? How? Scammers likes to phish for informations and of course they draft emails looks legitimate. Please be careful. Call the airlines and clarify if settlements are true or not! Dont make any sense! Do not fall for this trap especially $$ involve or mention. Think logic, if its to do with large sum settlement btwn 2 big companies why do they sent out emails?? Dont u find this weird? A proper letters mailed or some black and white should do! I never believe anything i see even banks sent out emails because in todays world , scammers are cunning! Turn one eye bline and move on. Dont bother all these craps. Good luck!
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriot Plat.Premier
We also got the same email - but have not clicked on the link. HOWEVER - the one response you got is from someone who has just joined the forum and only this post. While I do not post very often, I do read the forums.... so I do not have many posts either. I would like to hear from other regular posters.

Thanks
gooselee likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The class action itself is legit. Whether passengers will ever get anything remains to be seen.

I expect the lawyers will get a lot and we will get a coupon for $5 off our next domestic trip of $500 or more, but only if we call a special phone number between 4AM and 6AM on a Tuesday.
gooselee, MrsWLV, kyanar and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pinniped
The class action itself is legit. Whether passengers will ever get anything remains to be seen.

I expect the lawyers will get a lot and we will get a coupon for $5 off our next domestic trip of $500 or more, but only if we call a special phone number between 4AM and 6AM on a Tuesday.
And the ticket needs to be on the exact same flight in the exact same booking code and in the same seat as the one you originally took.
rbwpi, gooselee and kyanar like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Thanks all. I knew the lawsuit was an actual thing, and I figured like all the rest of these types of suits, actual consumers would get next nothing which is usable (hello, Schlesinger vs. Ticketmaster?). I was just wondering if anyone here had done more homework than I had or if there was an existing FTer discussion.

I get notified of class action suits via emails all the time. A shockingly high number of them are legitimate. Does anyone know if the website I posted in my OP is the actual legitimate one (vs. a scammer or a site set up by another law firm hoping for passthrough)? I'd like to at least go read all the documents and stuff out of curiosity if nothing else.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:50 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

"Given the number of Settlement Class Members, it may not be economically practical to make a direct cash distribution to Class Members until additional settlements or judgments are achieved. It is possible that after deductions for any attorneys’ fees, litigation expenses, settlement administration expenses, and class representative incentive awards approved by the Court, the remaining amount will be distributed to charities, governmental entities, or other beneficiaries approved by the Court."

Translation: Don't waste your time. The acual supposedly injured party will very likely get literally nothing.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Iza Sani
it is a scam!
No, it is not!

Domesticairclass.com
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...onesia-awards/

Similar discussion ongoing at Email from Domestic Airline Settlement Administrator? My rough math say 2 cents per flight (though certainly not all will file a claim, so it will be higher. But unlikely to be economically worth your time, IMHO)
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Iza Sani
it is a scam! Why? How? Scammers likes to phish for informations and of course they draft emails looks legitimate. Please be careful. Call the airlines and clarify if settlements are true or not! Dont make any sense! Do not fall for this trap especially $$ involve or mention. Think logic, if its to do with large sum settlement btwn 2 big companies why do they sent out emails?? Dont u find this weird? A proper letters mailed or some black and white should do! I never believe anything i see even banks sent out emails because in todays world , scammers are cunning! Turn one eye bline and move on. Dont bother all these craps. Good luck!
There are many scams, this is not one of them. Here's another for TransPac flights:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300669524.html

"...However, based on the claims that have already been filed, it is estimated that the average payment could be in the range of $8.50 per eligible ticket claimed."
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
One suggestion in the thread on the AA forum is that class members should file objections with the court to the settlement offer on the basis that the settlement administrator is significantly enriched to the detriment of the actually aggrieved parties.

I can't, because United hasn't settled yet, otherwise I would.

The Transpacific one is interesting though, as from the website's definition of affected individuals I literally cannot tell if I'm technically a class member as they have two conflicting answers where they relate to round trips. What I do know is that as a shareholder in Air New Zealand I'm definitely affected!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:22 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by cbn42
"Given the number of Settlement Class Members, it may not be economically practical to make a direct cash distribution to Class Members until additional settlements or judgments are achieved. It is possible that after deductions for any attorneys’ fees, litigation expenses, settlement administration expenses, and class representative incentive awards approved by the Court, the remaining amount will be distributed to charities, governmental entities, or other beneficiaries approved by the Court."

Translation: Don't waste your time. The acual supposedly injured party will very likely get literally nothing.
I got a check in the mail last week for $0.01 as part of some Chase settlement. Joke's on all of us I suppose since it took 49 additional cents to mail.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:23 am
Suspended

Class action - Domestic Airline Settlement Administrator, is this real?

I have just received an email that refers to a website www.domesticairclass.com which seems to be some class action suit against US domestic airlines that colluded to fix prices. Is this spam or a real thing? The website lists no law firms that I can find, or any direct contact details.

Dear Class Member:
Our records show you may have purchased a domestic airline ticket from American, Delta, Southwest, United, Continental Airlines, or US Airways between July 1, 2011 and June 14, 2018. Southwest and American Airlines (the “Settling Defendants”) have agreed to settle nationwide litigation by passengers who claim the four largest U.S. carriers along with Continental Airlines and US Airways conspired to increase fares on domestic flights. The Settling Defendants deny that they did anything wrong, have asserted defenses to the claims, and have settled to avoid the burden and expense of litigation.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Yes, it's legit. Wife and I received the same emails and sounds like many people are as well. I registered so as to receive updates, just out of curiosity, as I don't expect individuals to get anything directly from it.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/20...ction-lawsuit/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/will-ai...ction-lawsuit/

Last edited by 84fiero; Nov 23, 2018 at 8:04 am Reason: Fix URL
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:36 am
Suspended

Thanks for the info. As suspected, not worth my time, and in the bin it goes!
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nonetheless and as a reminder on the broader issue, do not click on the link. Rather, go to the website.

You have no assurance that the email spoofs a legitimate endeavor and directs you to a site which traps your data or infects your device.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.