Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Spirit Airlines: DOT rules/options for full refund if flight is cancelled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

f your flight is cancelled and you choose to cancel your trip as a result, you are entitled to a refund for the unused transportation – even for non-refundable tickets. You are also entitled to a refund for any bag fee that you paid, and any extras you may have purchased, such as a seat assignment.

---------
this seems too good to be true. i fly on spirit and they have no backup planes for you to fly but it appears that if they cancel your flight youd get your money back. yet on their site it's 90 to cancel/modify

so who is right, spirit or DOT?

living in PA obviously we have issues with snow and i was just curious if they cancel due to snow if i can just get my money back rather than wait for the next day..or 2..or 3 flight.

my gf had her flight canceled and she had to get home so was on a 12 hour flight with 3 planes the next day but if you havent left home there are times youd just want to stay home rather than travel with the delay and it would be nice to get your money back.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
With cancellations, your rights derive solely from the airlines' contracts of carriage, plus relevant principles of general contract law. And because no federal regulations apply, those rights are not uniform but instead vary from airline to airline
Most airlines will refund a ticket that was cancelled without a reasonable replacements. You're not going to get a refund if they put you on the next flight in 45 minutes, but probably will if there's nothing for days.

But the reason you save (in theory. Maybe) with Spirit is that they are cheap, inflexible, and make their money nickel and diming you every chance they get.

You may get a refund from Spirit, but if I had the rank the likelihood by airline, Spirit would be at the bottom.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is a lot of really poor information and bad advice in this thread. By the terms of Spirit's own contract, in the event of a cancellation or a delay of 2+ hours, the passenger is entitled to a refund to his original form of payment. Period. Not sure where the others' information comes from, but this is directly from the contract.

You must, however, request that your ticket be cancelled and that a refund be issued.

While it is always possible that the carrier might not do this, it would be a very easy chargeback.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
There is a lot of really poor information and bad advice in this thread. By the terms of Spirit's own contract, in the event of a cancellation or a delay of 2+ hours, the passenger is entitled to a refund to his original form of payment. Period. Not sure where the others' information comes from, but this is directly from the contract.

You must, however, request that your ticket be cancelled and that a refund be issued.

While it is always possible that the carrier might not do this, it would be a very easy chargeback.
i dug up the document indeed! very good to know. i just assumed DOT rules applied to everyone otherwise why have them.

now can anyone tell me why my nov 21 flight has dropped 120 bucks since i booked over a week ago???? why isnt it shooting UP UP UP

Involuntary In the event that Spirit is unable to provide a previously confirmed seat and is unable to reroute the guest via Spirit, Spirit will refund as indicated below: 10.2.1. If no portion of the reservation has been used, the refund will be equal to the fare paid by the guest. 10.2.2. If a portion of the reservation has been used, the refund will be equal to the amount of the unused portion. 10.2.3. Guests involved in a Spirit Airlines cancellation or delay in excess of two (2) hours will have three (3) options available to them: 1) re-accommodation, 2) a credit for future travel, or 3) a refund
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Often1
There is a lot of really poor information and bad advice in this thread.
Please point to the poor information, as mine was the only post before yours.

You believe they will refund a 45 minute delay? You think Spirit will cheerfully fork over your money at the slightest hint? Have you flown them and dealt with irrops?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Note: Hi Luckydriver, welcome to Flyertalk.
I'm going to relocate your thread to the forum that will have the most knowledgeable members regarding Spirit Airlines. Please follow the thread as it moves. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.