Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Requirement for blank passport pages?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Question Requirement for blank passport pages?

Oh crap. Traveling to the UK and 5 EU countries next week. Had been busy moving and didn't look at my passport until now. Have less than 2 blank pages left - 6 slots to be exact. Do I need more pages, i.e. another passport as it's expiring in 2 years, or will I be OK?
Old May 15, 2013, 1:40 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Are you traveling to those nations consecutively? You'll go straight to the UK and THEN the EU nations without going back to the UK again? No back-and-forths? You'll get only 3 stamps, then.

1. UK entry stamp
2. EU Schengen entry stamp
3. EU Schengen exit stamp when you head back to 'murrica

In short, I don't think you need anything. Good luck!
Old May 15, 2013, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RussianTexan
Are you traveling to those nations consecutively? You'll go straight to the UK and THEN the EU nations without going back to the UK again? No back-and-forths? You'll get only 3 stamps, then.

1. UK entry stamp
2. EU Schengen entry stamp
3. EU Schengen exit stamp when you head back to 'murrica

In short, I don't think you need anything. Good luck!
Thanks. You're right - I'll stop in the UK just once. But I recall reading somewhere about a 2 blank page requirement? I'm assuming that the pages for amendments don't count?
Old May 15, 2013, 1:55 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
To expand, you only get stamped at the first country you enter that is part of the EU Schengen area. You can freely travel between Schengen countries and will not receive further stamps.

UK, Ireland, and a lot of Eastern European countries are not part of the Schengen Agreement.
Old May 15, 2013, 4:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The above answer would be correct for USA and some other nationalities, but if your passport is from someplace more unusual that may require visas, you should check the requirements more specifically for your situation.
Old May 15, 2013, 5:49 am

Assuming you don't need visas before travel (and I assume you don't), it will be fine. The UK will stamp any-old-where; some Schengen countries might be a bit more fussy, but there will be plenty of space for them to put a snazzy entry stamp with a little aeroplane on it and then another exit stamp when you leave.
Old May 15, 2013, 6:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Juat to expand on the great advice given above, a least one country requires 2 blank consecutive pages. South Africa comes to mind.
Old May 15, 2013, 6:25 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gamecock
Juat to expand on the great advice given above, a least one country requires 2 blank consecutive pages. South Africa comes to mind.
If you do not require a visa before arrival to South Africa, you only require one blank page.
http://www.southafrica.info/travel/documents/visas.htm

A lot of countries that require an entry visa before arrival require 2 blank pages (and sometimes consecutive), as the visa takes up 1 page and entry/exit stamps part of 1 page.
Old May 15, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: UA, DL
Requirement for blank passport pages?

The UK visa stamp is larger than the EU stamps. You should be fine. You can also ask if they would stamp your entry somewhere else in your passport. I have a large number of AMS entries on one page because I asked nicely, no trouble with it ever. Granted the passport is pretty beat up but really you should be fine.
Old May 15, 2013, 7:04 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by griffbm3
The UK visa stamp is larger than the EU stamps. You should be fine. You can also ask if they would stamp your entry somewhere else in your passport. I have a large number of AMS entries on one page because I asked nicely, no trouble with it ever. Granted the passport is pretty beat up but really you should be fine.
UK Entry stamps are the same size as EU entry stamps. A UK Visa vignette takes up a whole page, but would not be required for a short term tourist from most countries.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Since am on a U.S. passport with no visa requirement, I won't go in person to get a new passport then. Was just worried that some zealous airline employee would deny me boarding the plane!
Old May 15, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Fyi, you could always just have extra pages added to your current passport book for $82 when you get back from your trip.
http://www.travel.state.gov/passport...d/add_850.html
http://www.travel.state.gov/passport...#spec_services
Old May 15, 2013, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Fyi, you could always just have extra pages added to your current passport book for $82 when you get back from your trip.
http://www.travel.state.gov/passport...d/add_850.html
http://www.travel.state.gov/passport...#spec_services
But that wouldn't be cost effective as it's less than two years before my passport expires.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Ha, I was thinking that, too. Seems a waste to spend $82 now when you just have to renew in less than 2 years for $110 (or $140 with passport card).
Old May 16, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
UKBA officials generally take care to use up spare space on a busy page with their stamps, rather than defile a blank page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.