Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

If overhead bins didn't exist, would you still travel via airplane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE

In a response I made in a UA thread made me think about behavior. If overhead bins were removed, would you adapt, or find other ways of traveling?

I would adapt without issue, but I'm curious of what others think.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:21 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
The question strikes me as more than a little absurd. Checked bags still exist, do you think someone would rather spend a few weeks/months on a boat crossing an ocean than fly without an overhead-bin sized carry-on?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
The question strikes me as more than a little absurd. Checked bags still exist, do you think someone would rather spend a few weeks/months on a boat crossing an ocean than fly without an overhead-bin sized carry-on?
I'm liking the idea of forced checked bags, period, beyond your normal personal carry on that fits below the seat in front of you. Eliminates the who boards first issue, and eliminates the bins that open with a little turbulence.
lhrsfo, muji and am1108 like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Commercial aviation did just fine for many years with no OH bins. Just an open rack for coats and hats. Carry-on had to fit under the seat in front of you.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
In a response I made in a UA thread made me think about behavior. If overhead bins were removed, would you adapt, or find other ways of traveling?

I would adapt without issue, but I'm curious of what others think.
Wouldn't be an issue for me. I much prefer to check a bag and have to carry only a small bag through the airport and onto the plane.
lamphs and lhrsfo like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:53 am
Original Poster

We (myself included) act like we cannot live without not just our computer bag at hand, but our roller board full of clothes. Some how I think we would survive just fine.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:03 am

The novel Papillon suggests an alternative method of carrying things other than bags.
84fiero likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: none
Already the newest forms of air transport (i.e., spaceships) have eliminated overhead bins.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
It wasn't that long ago -- not the coat/hat era by any means, just a few years -- that I was on a plane with no overhead bins. That's because it was a B1900. We survived.

I think it's ridiculous how much stuff people bring on a plane. Southwest has no checked bag fees, yet people bring everything they own with them on the plane anyway. Checked bag fees are clearly irrelevant. They're afraid of the 1 in 1000 chance the airline will lose their cheap Wal-Mart clothes, they want to run out of the airport as fast as possible, and they don't care that they are making the boarding process take TWICE as long.
Old Hickory and Annalisa12 like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
Commercial aviation did just fine for many years with no OH bins.
What were the average load factors? How many passengers (and bags) on an average flight?

How would today's airport infrastructure handle that number of bags and today's number of passenger who would have to check and claim them? I don't think that this would improve the overall travel experience.
GUWonder and smc333 like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The 707 seated 140-219 passengers depending on configuration.

Interestingly, without meaningful carry-on one can board the aircraft in 15-20 minutes. So, have to figure in much better gate utilization too.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:40 pm

I'd adapt by stuffing things into a bag at my feet and into a Scottevest jacket. I'd still do everything possible never to be separated from my belongings.

Seth
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
It wasn't that long ago -- not the coat/hat era by any means, just a few years -- that I was on a plane with no overhead bins. That's because it was a B1900. We survived.

I think it's ridiculous how much stuff people bring on a plane. Southwest has no checked bag fees, yet people bring everything they own with them on the plane anyway. Checked bag fees are clearly irrelevant. They're afraid of the 1 in 1000 chance the airline will lose their cheap Wal-Mart clothes, they want to run out of the airport as fast as possible, and they don't care that they are making the boarding process take TWICE as long.
I think people with Rimowa's, or Briggs and Riley's, surely not filled with Wal Mart clothes, are just as insistent on OHBs. Though this isn't on WN so much. I rarely see a guy in a business suit at the baggage reclaim. Just saying it ain't only the kettles that are egregious bin exploiters.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sethweinstein
I'd adapt by stuffing things into a bag at my feet and into a Scottevest jacket. I'd still do everything possible never to be separated from my belongings.

Seth
Out of the 1,000's of flights I have taken with checked bags, two are it for my bag not making it. I often travel with not only a roller board, but a checked bag full of gear for my job. After realizing nothing ever happens to my checked bag with $30K value in gear, I'm pretty sure my clothes and toiletries will do just fine.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Interestingly, without meaningful carry-on one can board the aircraft in 15-20 minutes. So, have to figure in much better gate utilization too.
Which is what happens in many/most places in the world. USA is the notable exception on time it takes to board an aircraft
lamphs and muji like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.