Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

US S.1814, “airline passenger bill of rights”, would require the airline to give cash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US S.1814, “airline passenger bill of rights”, would require the airline to give cash

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:31 am
Original Poster

The Bill or Rights allows the customer to receive cash for vouchers, if requested!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Don't think the constitution was intended to regulate air travel...
DataPlumber and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
S.1418 — 115th Congress (2017-2018)

(a) Short Title.—This Act may be cited as the “Airline Passengers' Bill of Rights”.
It's not law, so the OP may be referring informally to other DOT regs.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by deeruck
S.1418 — 115th Congress (2017-2018)

It's not law, so the OP may be referring informally to other DOT regs.
Interesting that they'd call it the bill of rights...
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
We could encourage the OP to come back and be more descriptive.

S.1418 was referred to committee. It is not law - and is along way from becoming law.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
This is America. Who'd want to vote against a "Bill of Rights"?

There's nothing in this Bill (the way it's written) that allows for cash for vouchers.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:00 am

Why not? Most states have a "Crime Victim's Bill of Rights," others have a "Prisoner's Bill of Rights," there's a federal "GI Bill of Rights," and I could probably come up with a lot more if I felt like putting some thought into it.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As this is much broader than a specific airline or its FFP, we will move this for broader discussion.

Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just to be clear, this proposed legislation was introduced by one Senator in June 2017. There is one entry in the calendar for the legislation. It is the same entry made for every piece of proposed legislation offered by any Senator (and a similar type of entry exists in the House). It will die when the Senate recesses for the Term sometime in December.

"June 2017 - Read twice and referred to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation.
Action By: Senate"

There are thousands of pieces of legislation proposed every year. The vast, vast, vast majority die with the same kind of entry. No co-sponsors, no hearings. But, the sponsor does get to issue a press release.

I'm not sure why OP is posting something today which happened in June 2017.

BTW - The sponsor may call the proposed legislation anything he wants to call it, so long as it is not obscene or disrespectful of another Member. It's not remotely worth worrying about what proposed legislation is called. The debate here about it isn't either.

Last edited by Often1; Sep 20, 2018 at 1:57 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
I can't tell if you're being serious or snarky, but most domestic air travel literally meets the definition of "interstate commerce", which the Constitution very much intended Congress to regulate. I guess flights that operate wholly within one state could be exempted......
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by wetrat0
I can't tell if you're being serious or snarky, but most domestic air travel literally meets the definition of "interstate commerce", which the Constitution very much intended Congress to regulate. I guess flights that operate wholly within one state could be exempted......
Yeah, congress, the constitution itself doesn't say "Compensation vouchers shall be redeemable for cash at the customer's request, here henceforth and into forever."
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Yeah, congress, the constitution itself doesn't say "Compensation vouchers shall be redeemable for cash at the customer's request, here henceforth and into forever."
Since the Constitution gives Congress the right to regulate interstate commerce, it can pass any laws it wants for that purpose.

That's how the Constitution works: it is a framework within which government operates. It does not, in most cases, flesh out all the details. As long as what a governmental agency does fits within that framework, as a law to regulate a specific aspect of interstate commerce clearly does, the fact that a particular detail is not in the Constitution is not a problem. One would not expect to find details there, though in some cases (such as the requirement that the President be at least 35 years old) they are present.

If this discussion continues, I see this thread being sent to OMNI/PR rather quickly - so I will not bother to correct any more misunderstandings of how constitutional government is supposed to work, no matter how absurd they are.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I'll have to read the bill text later but does anyone know offhand how similar the protections mentioned in this bill would be to EU's 261/2004?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wetrat0

No, the state thing got squashed hard by guns. SC has several gun manufacturers and the state legislature tried to say if it is made in SC and sold in SC it isn't part of interstate commerce and full auto is legal and NFA doesn't apply.

That didn't get very far as they said it applies to the company not the item, so if the company sells interstate, then all items it sells fall under interstate commerce.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem
Since the Constitution gives Congress the right to regulate interstate commerce, it can pass any laws it wants for that purpose.

That's how the Constitution works: it is a framework within which government operates. It does not, in most cases, flesh out all the details. As long as what a governmental agency does fits within that framework, as a law to regulate a specific aspect of interstate commerce clearly does, the fact that a particular detail is not in the Constitution is not a problem. One would not expect to find details there, though in some cases (such as the requirement that the President be at least 35 years old) they are present.

If this discussion continues, I see this thread being sent to OMNI/PR rather quickly - so I will not bother to correct any more misunderstandings of how constitutional government is supposed to work, no matter how absurd they are.
I understand how the legal framework functions, but the OP literally said

The Bill or Rights allows the customer to receive cash for vouchers, if requested
implying it was in the bill of rights itself - obviously we now know this doesn't refer to the bill of rights that is a part of the constitution (or amended to it or whatever, while I saw it in the museum in DC I'm not from the US so I've not learn all about it in high school)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.