FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Do you mind if I borrow your pen? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1929209-do-you-mind-if-i-borrow-your-pen.html)

jinkssick Sep 6, 2018 3:18 am

Do you mind if I borrow your pen?

Okay, I am sure this has been brought up on here before and I know many people will give me a lot of stick but here goes.

On a domestic economy flight in the US we were asked to fill it an arrivals form, cannot remember the exact flight but it was a 3 hour flight. Me and my wife had a pen in a bag (as we all do) but the plane was so full our bags were taken from overhead and placed a few seats ahead to accommodate people with larger bags.

I asked the gentleman next to me ''Do you mind if I borrow your pen please?". He abruptly said "Yes I do" in a harsh tone. I literally chuckled out loud as I couldnt believe someone would not do a simple favour to borrow a pen. Its not like I would not return it as he was window seat and I suppose my sentence shouldnt have started with "Do you mind...". But I just looked at my wife in disbelief and loud enough for him to hear said ''Who wouldnt let someone a pen!".

I know we as humans are not all the same, I get that, but I have gone out of my way to store heavy luggage for pregnant, elderly, disabled. Lent pens, paper, newspapers during my travels, its no skin off my nose just that scenario ended up being my most awkward moment for remaining journey and felt like I was sat next to someone with measles/cholera.

Maybe someone here will label me as acting 'entitled' but I can assure I maybe many things but not that. :)

UAPremExecflyer Sep 6, 2018 5:23 am

There are no "arrivals" form(s) to fill out on a domestic US flight.
Your post doesn't make a lot of sense.
Are you sure you're not confusing it with an international one - when you need to complete a customs declaration?

deniah Sep 6, 2018 5:35 am

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer (Post 30173294)
Are you sure you're not confusing it with an international one - when you need to complete a customs declaration?

that aside, his point is still valid.

to tack on that, some carriers are omitting pens from their J amenity kits. the 0.10c or whatever unit cost it is for a pen, i'd imagine is far more useful to most people than the 0.15c miniature tube of hand cream and lip balm (or maybe theyre even free as part of co-marketing exercise)

pa3lsvt Sep 6, 2018 6:07 am

Some people are just selfish, but I can see reasonable reasons behind the refusal.

I personally wash my hands at the first chance I get after getting off an airplane because the surfaces are so contaminated by dirt, grime, DNA, and micro-organisms. Airplanes, and the people on them, are generally gross.

I don't want a stranger handling my pen - I don't know where your hands have been! It isn't your seat neighbor's responsibility to have a pen for you. Even though it would have been nice of him to loan the pen, he is within his rights to be selfish and I'm sure you found plenty of pens in the CBP area at your arrival airport and went about your day with minimal delay anyway.

jackb1 Sep 6, 2018 6:20 am

Sounds strange he wouldn't lend someone a pen, although the staff on the plane would presumably have one.

Still, there are certain way to go about things - this wasn't one of them!

jburns513 Sep 6, 2018 6:25 am

Please consider that he may have only been carrying a “nice” and valuable pen. In my pocket I usually have a Mont Blanc pen I have used for 29 years. Once at a trade show I lent it to another agents’ customer, who walked off with it after writing her order. After my associate’s urgent cellphone call I got it back, but I don’t hand it out anymore.

Badenoch Sep 6, 2018 6:59 am

Do enough international flying and you get tired of Kettles who don't remember they are forms be to filled out and pester you for a pen. On an LHR-YYZ flight I loaned a pen to a fellow passenger only to have it passed down the middle row of a widebody for their entire group to use and then had to get up to to retrieve it from the final user who dropped it in her purse. I will still lend a pen to another passenger but can certainly see why someone would decide to refuse all requests.

You were way out of line with the remark to your wife. It's his property. He has every right not to lend it to you. You are fortunate he didn't say something equally ignorant in return. I would have.

Badenoch Sep 6, 2018 7:02 am

Originally Posted by jackb1 (Post 30173454)
Sounds strange he wouldn't lend someone a pen, although the staff on the plane would presumably have one.

Still, there are certain way to go about things - this wasn't one of them!

Don't be too presumptuous about the staff. You may well get the same response from an FA. I've seen them turn down requests to "borrow a pen" from people too dumb to bring their own.

Taco Tuesday Sep 6, 2018 7:15 am

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt (Post 30173411)
Some people are just selfish, but I can see reasonable reasons behind the refusal.

I personally wash my hands at the first chance I get after getting off an airplane because the surfaces are so contaminated by dirt, grime, DNA, and micro-organisms. Airplanes, and the people on them, are generally gross.

I don't want a stranger handling my pen - I don't know where your hands have been! It isn't your seat neighbor's responsibility to have a pen for you. Even though it would have been nice of him to loan the pen, he is within his rights to be selfish and I'm sure you found plenty of pens in the CBP area at your arrival airport and went about your day with minimal delay anyway.

Huh. Here are the scenarios I see, since we are generally gross...

Me: May I borrow your pen? You: Um, er, where have your hands been? Me: Well, I just got done in the Loo – didn’t have time to wash my hands. I grabbed a liverwurst sandwich from the cart and had to keep pushing the meat back in because it was falling out from between the bread. But I wiped them on my pants. Why? You: Eeeeew. No, you can’t borrow my pen.

Me: May I borrow your pen? You: Um, er, where have your hands been? Me: Nowhere, in fact I just rubbed some of that Purel on them, so they are clean as a whistle. You: Sure, here you go. Me: No way – I don’t know where YOUR hands have been…

:-)

jinkssick Sep 6, 2018 7:33 am

Originally Posted by jburns513 (Post 30173486)
...have used for 29 years...

That would make sense but this was a BIC in question. Still it was weird but people are different, I get that. Would be funny if he ever needed a pen urgently and everyone in vicinity blurts out 'no'.

venomtrilogy Sep 6, 2018 8:48 am

Originally Posted by jackb1 (Post 30173454)

Pfft. Good luck with this. I have been on international flights in the last year in which FAs added "We do not have pens available for you" during announcements about immigration forms.

fotographer Sep 6, 2018 9:21 am

I always carry at least 6 pens in my bag, (crosswords) you can borrow on and keep it if you like
(but be aware they are hotel pens)

Allan38103 Sep 6, 2018 9:27 am

This not a serious issue that needs to be discussed ad nauseum on FT. Either let someone borrow your stuff, or don't. Your choice. Either way, get on with your life

CPRich Sep 6, 2018 9:44 am

Originally Posted by jinkssick (Post 30173055)
I just looked at my wife in disbelief and loud enough for him to hear said ''Who wouldnt let someone a pen

You're correct that this was inappropriate.

Originally Posted by Allan38103 (Post 30174161)
This not a serious issue that needs to be discussed ad nauseum on FT.

I didn't realize that 6 hours and 11 replies was now ad nauseum.

Perhaps we should stick to important, enlightening posts such as "Reading this thread is better than gossip! " 90 posts and 5 years into a thread about taking a blanket)

Badenoch Sep 6, 2018 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Allan38103 (Post 30174161)
This not a serious issue that needs to be discussed ad nauseum on FT. Either let someone borrow your stuff, or don't. Your choice. Either way, get on with your life

If that's the new benchmark for FT discussion then it will soon be a very quiet and lonely place. :p

wrp96 Sep 6, 2018 9:53 am

Okay, I am sure this has been brought up on here before and I know many people will give me a lot of stick but here goes.

On a domestic economy flight in the US we were asked to fill it an arrivals form, cannot remember the exact flight but it was a 3 hour flight. Me and my wife had a pen in a bag (as we all do) but the plane was so full our bags were taken from overhead and placed a few seats ahead to accommodate people with larger bags.

I asked the gentleman next to me ''Do you mind if I borrow your pen please?". He abruptly said "Yes I do" in a harsh tone. I literally chuckled out loud as I couldnt believe someone would not do a simple favour to borrow a pen. Its not like I would not return it as he was window seat and I suppose my sentence shouldnt have started with "Do you mind...". But I just looked at my wife in disbelief and loud enough for him to hear said ''Who wouldnt let someone a pen!".

I know we as humans are not all the same, I get that, but I have gone out of my way to store heavy luggage for pregnant, elderly, disabled. Lent pens, paper, newspapers during my travels, its no skin off my nose just that scenario ended up being my most awkward moment for remaining journey and felt like I was sat next to someone with measles/cholera.

Maybe someone here will label me as acting 'entitled' but I can assure I maybe many things but not that. :)

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer (Post 30173294)

Just a guess, but perhaps Hawaii where you have to (or at least you used to) fill out an agriculture form?

samwise6222 Sep 6, 2018 10:31 am

I usually travel with four other guys, and I usually carry about a dozen pen in my purse.

caburrito Sep 6, 2018 11:06 am

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 30174271)
Just a guess, but perhaps Hawaii where you have to (or at least you used to) fill out an agriculture form?

You still do.

DutchessPDX Sep 6, 2018 11:38 am

If I pull out my Montblanc or other expensive fountain pen, sorry you aren't borrowing it. Call me rude, I'll survive.

Gig103 Sep 6, 2018 12:00 pm

The passenger doesn't want to lend you his pen so you came to tattle on him?

Originally Posted by DutchessPDX (Post 30174694)
If I pull out my Montblanc or other expensive fountain pen, sorry you aren't borrowing it. Call me rude, I'll survive.

Edit: I might notice and compliment you on it, so watch out! :) No issues traveling with an fountain pen (expansion or leaking)? I have cheap ones (vintage Schaeffers and a Pilot) but travel with a ballpoint.

TGarza Sep 6, 2018 12:31 pm

I will not lend out my space pen but I will loan out a cheap pen since I have loaned and lost one space pen.

Flight attendants have always offered pens for any form to fill out during the flight for customs.

Redhead Sep 6, 2018 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by jburns513 (Post 30173486)
Please consider that he may have only been carrying a “nice” and valuable pen. In my pocket I usually have a Mont Blanc pen I have used for 29 years. Once at a trade show I lent it to another agents’ customer, who walked off with it after writing her order. After my associate’s urgent cellphone call I got it back, but I don’t hand it out anymore.

I usually have a fountain pen. Since if it is not used correctly, someone can easily damage the nib, I prefer not to lend it.

Proudelitist Sep 6, 2018 12:58 pm

I am on the pen owner's side. He has no obligation to give you his things, and you placing your bags away is not his problem or concern. You knew you had a pen somewhere, just go get it. People are allowed to say no to your requests.

And arrivals form on a domestic flight?

DutchessPDX Sep 6, 2018 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 30174784)

Edit: I might notice and compliment you on it, so watch out! :) No issues traveling with an fountain pen (expansion or leaking)? I have cheap ones (vintage Schaeffers and a Pilot) but travel with a ballpoint.

I've never had one leak, but I'm always cautious when I open one!

catcher1 Sep 6, 2018 3:17 pm

Surprisingly, nobody has accused the OP of panhandling.

msp3 Sep 6, 2018 4:00 pm

I sincerely hope that the next time OP gets a new phone, some bum comes by and asks if he can make a phone call, then proceeds to drop the phone and shatter the screen and walks away.

Or better yet the next time he gets a new car, some ...... relative comes by and asks for a test drive but proceeds to crash it and refuses to pay up. When pushed, the answer should be: ''Who wouldn't let someone borrow their car!" among your extended family.

FlyerTalker70 Sep 6, 2018 4:44 pm

Why don't the FAs just hand out pens? Flying into HND from HKG a couple months ago I noticed the FAs had a bundle of pens they carried with landing forms they handed out to passengers. Those pens also had the nice ANA branding on them so I asked for one even though I knew full well I had a working poem in my bag! Seems like a marketing opportunity missed!

Safe Travels,

James

Eastbay1K Sep 6, 2018 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by catcher1 (Post 30175673)
Surprisingly, nobody has accused the OP of panhandling.

Nevertheless, someone wanted to charge him with Attempted Penhandling.

Jaimito Cartero Sep 6, 2018 5:00 pm

I’ve loaned lots of pens, as well as asked for pens if mine are in my bag in the bin. Like anything, it’s a request, so if they can’t help out, you find someone else. Not a big deal.

Unless someone threw a drink in my face, or something really egregious, I’m not going to create a thread on FT about it.

Badenoch Sep 6, 2018 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso (Post 30176025)
Why don't the FAs just hand out pens? Flying into HND from HKG a couple months ago I noticed the FAs had a bundle of pens they carried with landing forms they handed out to passengers. Those pens also had the nice ANA branding on them so I asked for one even though I knew full well I had a working poem in my bag! Seems like a marketing opportunity missed!

Safe Travels,

James

More likely a revenue opportunity. $10 per pen for people too dumb not to bring one. Great profit margin. :)

travelinmanS Sep 6, 2018 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by venomtrilogy (Post 30173993)
Pfft. Good luck with this. I have been on international flights in the last year in which FAs added "We do not have pens available for you" during announcements about immigration forms.

Must have been an American carrier. I never have a problem borrowing a pen from the FA’s on any of my flights but I’m usually flying Chinese or other Asian carriers.

Loaning someone a pen is a common courtesy. In this “me me me” age common courtesy isn’t that common anymore.

Low Roller Sep 6, 2018 5:46 pm

I personally only use a Waterman which I always have with me (and am not lending to anyone), but I usually have a few stolen hotel pens in my bag for other passengers who ask to "borrow" one so that I don't have to look like a jerk for refusing. They don't often get returned, but that's fine.

pushmyredbutton Sep 6, 2018 5:51 pm

I travel with a couple of decent pens. It has never occurred to me to deny such a simple request to borrow one because "they should know better".

Traveling can be confusing and stressful for a lot of people, and I don't blame others for either not remembering to bring one, or assuming that it will be given out. Plus, if a flight to Hawaii, I can see many people not even realizing they would need to fill in a form.

Uncle Nonny Sep 6, 2018 6:06 pm

Plenty of pens at the immigration counters I've gone through. It's really not a big deal if you don't have the precious little form filled out before you leave the plane.

gregoryad Sep 6, 2018 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 30176128)

Must have been an American carrier. I never have a problem borrowing a pen from the FA’s on any of my flights but I’m usually flying Chinese or other Asian carriers.

Loaning someone a pen is a common courtesy. In this “me me me” age common courtesy isn’t that common anymore.

I really dislike this me me me age. My last flight to EWR resulted in me having to give directions to someone. I was perfectly fine taking 30 seconds to explain to someone where to go because nobody else stopped to help even though EVERYONE could clearly hear the woman asking people for directions.

txflyer77 Sep 6, 2018 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 30174784)

Keep it upright during ascent and it's usually fine.

FredT5 Sep 6, 2018 7:00 pm

EVERY time I have lent a pen to someone near me the pen has started a trek to their seatmate, then THEIR seatmate...... So if it is your only pen, I can not only commiserate with the OP but agree whole heartedly with him.

AlanInDC Sep 6, 2018 7:15 pm

I don't loan but I am willing to give a pen like the extras I have from hotels and convention exhibit halls and such. I have a Waterman and even an inexpensive pen (like a few dollars) that I have and like very much. I do not loan these.

MSPeconomist Sep 6, 2018 7:28 pm

No one is obligated to carry cheap pens because they don't want to lend their expensive or favorite pens to strangers.

LtKernelPanic Sep 6, 2018 7:37 pm

I've lent out pens before and borrowed them before when I've forgot or found the one in my bag was dried out. A few times when it was my only one I've said "sure, just give it back when you're done since it's my only one." and so far I've gotten it back every time. Now if I had a nice fountain pen or something more than a cheap Bic I may think twice about lending it to a random person.