Wiki Posts
Search

Why no/few barbershops in airports?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Why no/few barbershops in airports?

If retailers do very well in airports, why aren't there more service businesses in airports, such as barbershops?

I would imagine that a disproportionate number of airline passengers are businesspeople- and (this should not be taken as sexist, racist or any kind of -ist) disproportionately men heading to business meetings.

Wouldn't a Great Clips or other quick-service barber in an airport do well for this demographic, as long as you don't have to wait for a haircut? "Drat, I have that big meeting with a new client in Seattle, but I've been working so much and have an 8am flight, so I just can't make it to the barber in time."

US passenger trains often had barbers on them until the mid-1960s, evidencing that businesspeople on trips do need this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
If retailers do very well in airports, why aren't there more service businesses in airports, such as barbershops?

I would imagine that a disproportionate number of airline passengers are businesspeople- and (this should not be taken as sexist, racist or any kind of -ist) disproportionately men heading to business meetings.

Wouldn't a Great Clips or other quick-service barber in an airport do well for this demographic, as long as you don't have to wait for a haircut? "Drat, I have that big meeting with a new client in Seattle, but I've been working so much and have an 8am flight, so I just can't make it to the barber in time."

US passenger trains often had barbers on them until the mid-1960s, evidencing that businesspeople on trips do need this.
I would guess it depends on the airport. Where a large portion of their traffic (in the case of a barbershop) is leisure, probably not. But business travellers, yes.

I suspect that a gym with shower facilities would also do well. Sleep pods too for those on longer layovers that don't want to leave airside. Not sure about shoe shines...
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
My local airport ADB has a barbers and I have often thought it was a good idea but never used it...
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I suspect it's beacause most people go to the same place every time to get their hair cut, with a person, or team, they have been using for years. Trusting a random person to cur you hair is a bit different than trusting a random person to sell you a shirt.
GadgetFreak, EricH, mmff and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by CPRich
I suspect it's beacause most people go to the same place every time to get their hair cut, with a person, or team, they have been using for years. Trusting a random person to cur you hair is a bit different than trusting a random person to sell you a shirt.
+1.

Barbers in airports seem like a solution that could be better solved by living a less hectic life...
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
We had a great barber in our little regional airport for years. He had photos on the wall of famous "heads" he had cut, including a few movie stars and recording artists. When he got older and retired, they never replaced him. I suspect the airport authority wanted too much rent for the space. I kind of miss him. I only had him cut my hair a couple of times but he was fun, with his stories.

I suspect the amount of traffic simply wouldn't be profitable in this day and age what with the high rent at airports. Most people would just walk by, in a hurry to get to their gate.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
We had a great barber in our little regional airport for years. He had photos on the wall of famous "heads" he had cut, including a few movie stars and recording artists. When he got older and retired, they never replaced him. I suspect the airport authority wanted too much rent for the space. I kind of miss him. I only had him cut my hair a couple of times but he was fun, with his stories.

I suspect the amount of traffic simply wouldn't be profitable in this day and age what with the high rent at airports. Most people would just walk by, in a hurry to get to their gate.
I get my hair cut by a guy in on Madison Avenue in midtown Manhattan. I'm guessing his rent is, well more. But I think you're right about most people not taking the time to stop. I also wonder about barber tools. The person that cuts my hair for instance uses scissors.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
... I also wonder about barber tools. The person that cuts my hair for instance uses scissors.
Ours was pre-screening but I take the point.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I also wonder about barber tools. The person that cuts my hair for instance uses scissors.
I would think at least some eateries in some airports have sharp knives in the kitchens,

And the shops have to have something to cut open the boxes their merchandise is shipped in.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa

I would think at least some eateries in some airports have sharp knives in the kitchens,

And the shops have to have something to cut open the boxes their merchandise is shipped in.
I was at a Subway post security in some airport that I can't remember right now, and the knife that they used to cut the sandwiches was chained to the counter. I would imagine that most of the prep work that would require knives in the back would be done offsite. And every time I have seen a shop worker unloading merchandise it was from a "tote" - so no sharp objects necessary. I would be shocked if anyone were allowed to have a box knife back there, but I would be equally shocked if there weren't a whole bunch of "UA" (unauthorized) ones floating around post-security.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I would always have time to kill in the old Southwest terminal in DTW. I would get my hair cut there pretty often. And shoe shines. But that was when airports had most of the shops and services in the main ticketing concourse before security.

Now, I don’t have hair.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Nothing worse than all the loose hair falling down the back of your neck then having to fly 10 hours.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Nothing worse than all the loose hair falling down the back of your neck then having to fly 10 hours.

Yeah, this

I have to take a shower after a haircut, I have a flat top and the amount of tiny hair pieces is amazing. I would be itching like i had a disease if i had to fly like that.
OskiBear and trooper like this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I was at a Subway post security in some airport that I can't remember right now, and the knife that they used to cut the sandwiches was chained to the counter. I would imagine that most of the prep work that would require knives in the back would be done offsite. And every time I have seen a shop worker unloading merchandise it was from a "tote" - so no sharp objects necessary. I would be shocked if anyone were allowed to have a box knife back there, but I would be equally shocked if there weren't a whole bunch of "UA" (unauthorized) ones floating around post-security.
At least at DEN, we have to account for our knives at each shift change. That includes our pizza cutter and 1 pair of scissors. The TSA does a spot inspection every so often to ensure our count. There are big fines if one comes up missing. We have 2 knives that are broken and we have to get the TSA's permission when we want to replace it.
smc333 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I never used him but my local airport, DAY, for many years had a barber, airside. He seemed to have steady work from what I saw. I can't recall when he closed up shop - maybe 5 or 6 years ago. I think it was an older guy who ran it by himself and I assume when he retired that was just the end of it. Someone mentioned that back before it was "ticketed pax only past security" he had some regular customers from the surrounding community who came to his shop. I would guess that he probably had a regular clientele from among some of the airport employees as well.
ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.