Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How well do chain stores in airports do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How well do chain stores in airports do?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
a European perspective

Over here in Europe, many grocery store chains (e.g. SPAR, Billa) have stores in the arrivals level of airports and everyone of them are packed:
- passengers buying food to carry on board;
- employees shopping;
- Airbnb clients (that's me!)
IMO, they face fewer restrictions on operating hours than their downtown locations. Prices are comparable. I have personally witnessed this in TXL & VIE. An exciting development!
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:40 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Airport stores are often the most profitable stores in a chain, despite incredible rent and paying the royalty to the airport. Look at WH Smith as an example - its recent results showed that its airport division was far more profitable than any other.
+1

I've only frequented WH Smiths at airports and practically no place else, as they are the only store that happen to carry all sorts of things one may forgot to bring, despite being so much pricier than the high street.

Additionally, I've found it to be the case that WH Smiths have been opening up stores at Indonesian airports like Jakarta and Bali, but not in the city itself, which says a thing or two about their strategy (with reputation/brand name among foreign travellers).
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The Brooks Brothers at RDU just closed after being open for seven years. In all my time using RDU I bought only a single pair of socks there (for $18...ugh).
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Back in the day I used to buy a fair amount of clothing at LHR T4, when it was BA's terminal, and also T5. They had some brands there that I don't have at home, and I was often flying through at clearance sale times (yes, airport shops have clearance sales!). I bought Bally shoes, quite a few things from Reiss and Escada, some Paul Smith, some Harrod's, etc. The prices were quite reasonable for those brands, considering the duty-free aspect as well as the sales.
rsqrott likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:21 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Back in the day I used to buy a fair amount of clothing at LHR T4, when it was BA's terminal, and also T5. They had some brands there that I don't have at home, and I was often flying through at clearance sale times (yes, airport shops have clearance sales!). I bought Bally shoes, quite a few things from Reiss and Escada, some Paul Smith, some Harrod's, etc. The prices were quite reasonable for those brands, considering the duty-free aspect as well as the sales.
I guess I am one of those people who keeps the clothing stores open at the airports, at least at Heathrow . I often buy clothing at airports possibly out of boredom of waiting.

Also reminds me of one time when the soles came of my sneakers, and I had to purchase a pair from Bally
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Over here in Europe, many grocery store chains (e.g. SPAR, Billa) have stores in the arrivals level of airports and everyone of them are packed:
- passengers buying food to carry on board;
- employees shopping;
- Airbnb clients (that's me!)
IMO, they face fewer restrictions on operating hours than their downtown locations. Prices are comparable. I have personally witnessed this in TXL & VIE. An exciting development!
I agree- easier to get exactly the food you want. I haven't been to Zurich since I retired 4 years ago but they also had a grocery store at ZRH.

I don't think I've ever bought clothes, watches, jewelry, etc. at airports. Will buy alcohol if the price is right, food and things to read, but that's about it. If I have access to a good airline lounge I don't buy food or alcohol outside the lounge, either!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.