Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this itinerary even possible?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Is this itinerary even possible?

Delta sold this itinerary to me for $400, which is a great deal unless I am going to miss these connections. Note the short layovers in both Detroit and Seattle.

I have 24 hours to cancel so need to figure out what to do. If I call Delta will they change my itinerary to something more realistic?

Outbound:
1. NYC-Detroit
51m layover
2. Detroit-LA
1hr 36m layover
3. LA-Maui

Inbound:
1. Maui-Seattle
36m layover
2. Seattle-Detroit
41m layover
3. Detroit-NYC

Last edited by eastonguitarist; Mar 27, 2018 at 9:28 pm
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:11 pm

I think they are all doable. The only one that would really scare me is the 36 minute one in LA. If you are in and out in the same terminal it would be no problem. But if you need to take the bus between T2 and T3... Also, keep in mind that these scheduled layovers don't account for the schedule padding that typically has flights arriving 15-20 minutes early.

41 Minutes in Detroit is no problem at all - I think 95% of my connections there are less than 45 minutes.

I have had 38 minute scheduled connections in Seattle this year alone. Once I was lucky enough to get a Porsche transfer, and the other 3 times I hoofed it and made it in plenty of time - even when I had to get between the South Satellite and either A or B.

I wouldn't worry about it. I really believe that they wouldn't sell it if they didn't think they could do it. Also, they do generally take care of their Medallion members in the event of a misconnect, even proactively protecting me on another flight if it looked close a few times. And if there's a schedule change between now and then which pushes one of the connections below the published MCT, you can change it for free to just about any reasonable alternative

Just my 2 cents
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. The 36 minute layover in is actually in Seattle. Does that change you opinion?

Outbound:
1. NYC-Detroit
51m layover
2. Detroit-LA
1hr 36m layover
3. LA-Maui

Inbound:
1. Maui-Seattle
36m layover
2. Seattle-Detroit
41m layover
3. Detroit-NYC
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:43 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Delta Forum
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:45 pm

Again, you will very likely be early in Seattle, so if you don't dawdle and aren't in a window seat in row 97 on your inbound flight, I think you would be fine. I would be ok with it.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
They're not going to change it to something else without repricing it.

36 minutes in SEA is tight, but doable. DL's minimum connection time at SEA is 30 minutes, which reflects their confidence that the itinerary they sold you is fine. Worst case, if your flight is delayed and you miss your connection to DTW, ask them to rebook you SEA-JFK direct.

Booking tight connections really comes down to the consequences if you miss the connection. If it's just going to be a minor inconvenience of getting back home later, that's one thing compared to, say, missing a critical business meeting.

If travel is more than 3-4 months away, you're almost certainly going to see a schedule change. If a schedule change makes any connection fall below the minimum, or changes your departure or arrival times by more than 60 minutes, you'll be entitled to a free change to pretty much whatever flights you want.

Last edited by javabytes; Mar 27, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Again, you will very likely be early in Seattle, so if you don't dawdle and aren't in a window seat in row 97 on your inbound flight, I think you would be fine. I would be ok with it.
Demand Delta have a Porsche waiting at the ramp to speed you to your next flight.

Problem solved.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by TheHorta

Demand Delta have a Porsche waiting at the ramp to speed you to your next flight.

Problem solved.
There must be a secret menu option on the Diamond line that nobody ever told me the number for.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:17 am

What's wrong with a single connection in LAX or SEA? How much more it is? You are probably on vacations and it's not worth saving a couple hundred dollars and add stress, travel time and increased risk of disconnect. Enjoy Maui!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
There must be a secret menu option on the Diamond line that nobody ever told me the number for.
I think the drivers at Seattle have been pretty idle lately — a coworker had a Porsche transfer for a five-hour connection recently and when I went into the SkyClub on my return they heard I was Diamond and offered me a ride on the tarmac and photos by the planes.

that was my second or third time through SEA and I would not be concerned about a short connection there. Operations seem smooth and it is extremely easy to get around either by walking or by taking the every-few-minutes tram.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.