Wiki Posts
Search

Travel to conflict zones

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Travel to conflict zones

For some strange reason I am attracted to conflict zones. Maybe I need help. Watching Sicario movie made me want to spend a whole Sunday in Juarez while spending the weekend in El Paso between business trips. This urge was intensified when my colleagues from US head office advised me not to cross the border. Turned out Juarez was completely normal and not action packed as travel guides promised.

Also visited Israel (inc PNA areas, East Jerusalem, Jewish settlements), Cyprus (both sides), Belfast (Falls Road & Shankhill Road). Crossed border from Pakistan to India by bus.

Now I need to get to Cuba and Koreas before peace breaks out.

Any other ideas?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
How about south side Chicago? Herman Gardens Detroit? Seems like South America should be fertile hunting ground.... Acapulco, Mexico, San Salvador, El Salvador, San Pedro Sula, Honduras, Caracas, Venezuela. Of course it depends what kinds of violence and turmoil you are looking for. Parts of Africa might satisfy your yearning, Somalia, South Sudan and Central Africa Republic.Can't say I see the attraction myself, but hey ho.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
You can come to my home =)

What are you looking for when you say you want it to be "action packed"? Like actual shootouts, missile attacks? Or just being in situations where things could go down?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:28 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The places mentioned aren't exactly conflict zones! If you want the feeling of violence without any actual violence, then maybe South Ossetia could be a good option? Kashmir and the border of Azerbaijan with Armenia are both "fun" in that you occasionally get the odd stray bullet if that's what turns you on. I wouldn't recommend travel to any actual conflict zones, personally.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Turkey would also be a potential destination. The e-visa program re-opened just in December. Here's the travel advisory which might align with what you're seeking. I imagine you might be questioned a bit more when you come back to the states =)

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA/AA
The Kurdish villages along the southern border of Turkey should provide some adrenaline for you.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
If you fancy a fly drive trip...a little inspiration:

Last edited by Fraser; Jan 23, 2018 at 7:30 am
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:36 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'm a huge fan of DanielW's trip reports. Check out the first post in this report where he has links to the various destinations for which he wrote trip reports. You'll find some inspiration there.

Three Days In Libya
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:56 pm

Just curious: why do you consider Cuba as a conflict zone?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:01 pm

Marawi

See you there.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver
Having just returned from Cuba not so long ago, I'd hardly call it a conflict zone.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Armenia and then northeast to Nagorno Karabakh.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/armenia
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:53 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Armenia and then northeast to Nagorno Karabakh.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/armenia
Where tourists normally go in Armenia is very peaceful. We were there in 2017. We did not go to the contested border, though.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:35 pm

Yemen is generally regarded as a dangerous "tourist" destination. Occasionally hear about tourists being kidnapped and/or killed.

Also certain parts of the Philippines, those with "fighters" for "Islamic freedom".
frobozzelectric likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:18 am

None of the places mentioned in the OP are conflict zones, that's for sure. You could try places like Darfur, Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan for actual conflict zones. Not necessarily a great idea though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.