Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

are there people who actually prefer to sit in the middle seat on 8+ hour flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

are there people who actually prefer to sit in the middle seat on 8+ hour flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
One time I was stuck with the only middle seat on a 767 on Delta in coach. Fortunately it wasn't too long, ATL-MCO.
I have recently been unfortunate enough to be stuck on that very same seat, but on a MIA-DUS. Strangely, when OLCI for this flight opened the seat map was already showing 0 available seats, all of them had been assigned in advance. Never seen something like that. I have never felt so canned in my life!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by WY114
I have recently been unfortunate enough to be stuck on that very same seat, but on a MIA-DUS. Strangely, when OLCI for this flight opened the seat map was already showing 0 available seats, all of them had been assigned in advance. Never seen something like that. I have never felt so canned in my life!
In this situation, I would actually be hoping to get bumped, rather than stuck in a middle.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I once took a middle seat when traveling with my mother since she wanted the window seat. About an hour into a five-hour flight, I just couldn't take it anymore and abandoned her to move to an empty aisle seat a few rows away. Never again.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:24 am

I think most people have sat in the middle because of lack of choice or flying with someone.

But as for actually preferring it, only met one of those one time. She was next to me and absolutely terrified of flying. I and the guy on the aisle asked if she would be better in the window or aisle and she said the middle was best for her. She felt safest. Short flight, thankfully. Poor girl, she really was trying.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Segments
Perhaps a strategic choice? Many couples book aisle/window hoping the middle seat stays empty. Sounds like booking a middle seat in an empty row is the inverse to that approach when traveling alone.

If someone books middle perhaps they hope others will avoid the window/aisle seats in that row leaving them with a set of three seats?
My wife and I use this strategy many times and have never come across a person that won't switch with us. Sometimes we'll offer up the aisle but they'll ask for the window, which we'll give them as beggars can't be choosers =)
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:40 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
My daughter, who's best described as petite, doesn't mind the middle seat. "I SHOULD be the one there--I'm small!" She just started flying frequently for work on WN. I'm sure she's making someone down the boarding line very happy!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by MissJ
I think most people have sat in the middle because of lack of choice or flying with someone.

But as for actually preferring it, only met one of those one time. She was next to me and absolutely terrified of flying. I and the guy on the aisle asked if she would be better in the window or aisle and she said the middle was best for her. She felt safest. Short flight, thankfully. Poor girl, she really was trying.
She chose the flying equivalent to a dog Thundershirt or swaddling a baby. Or in another parlance, you both acted as her emotional support animals, as she needed two for this flight. LOL 😁
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OTD
My daughter, who's best described as petite, doesn't mind the middle seat. "I SHOULD be the one there--I'm small!" She just started flying frequently for work on WN. I'm sure she's making someone down the boarding line very happy!
Because she's small, she also makes those already seated more than happy to have her as the middle seat.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Segments

She chose the flying equivalent to a dog Thundershirt or swaddling a baby. Or in another parlance, you both acted as her emotional support animals, as she needed two for this flight. LOL 😁
She was so sweet, too. She apologized ahead of time and warned us she might grab. Giving us plenty of time to move or say nope if we were really bothered by it. She grabbed our arms many times but I didn't mind as she was doing her best to conquer her fear and see the world. We were flying LHR to AMS and she was just determined to get out there and travel. I hope her fear has subsided over the years. I guess she got lucky, too, as all three of us were very young Americans on a far away flight.
Statman likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by tatterdema
Write? Drives me nuts when people can't use the correct words on these air plain web sights.
Just do not loose you're mind over it.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: IHG PC, Marriott, SWA A-List Preferred with Companion Pass
I prefer a middle seat if the other two seats are empty.
The window seat means your arm is touching the cold wall, the wall is curved and just about touches your hair.
The Aisle seat means you'll get a bruised shoulder or elbow from the drink cart, people backpacks and purses hitting you in the head during boarding, and people running to the bathroom during the flight.
If travelling with my wife, she wants the window seat. I take the aisle seat and lift up the armrest between the aisle and middle seat. I then sit half and half on the two seats to protect myself from bags hitting me during boarding. I sit enough on the aisle seat that other passengers think I am in it. If no one wants the middle seat (flying on Southwest - open seating), then once the flight takes off, I move to the middle seat and leave the aisle seat empty. Aisle seat tray table becomes my drink table, so i don't spill on my laptop or iPad which is on middle seat tray table. Of course, if someone wants the middle seat, then I give them the Aisle instead. Don't want them hitting on my wife the whole flight
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Allan38103
Just do not loose you're mind over it.
Eye sea aisle have two bough too you're and tatterdema's whit.
tatterdema and ajGoes like this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tatterdema
Write? Drives me nuts when people can't use the correct words on these air plain web sights.
Don't you mean that they Kant use the write words on those cites?
tatterdema and ajGoes like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Style
I prefer a middle seat if the other two seats are empty.
The window seat means your arm is touching the cold wall, the wall is curved and just about touches your hair.
The Aisle seat means you'll get a bruised shoulder or elbow from the drink cart, people backpacks and purses hitting you in the head during boarding, and people running to the bathroom during the flight.
If travelling with my wife, she wants the window seat. I take the aisle seat and lift up the armrest between the aisle and middle seat. I then sit half and half on the two seats to protect myself from bags hitting me during boarding. I sit enough on the aisle seat that other passengers think I am in it. If no one wants the middle seat (flying on Southwest - open seating), then once the flight takes off, I move to the middle seat and leave the aisle seat empty. Aisle seat tray table becomes my drink table, so i don't spill on my laptop or iPad which is on middle seat tray table. Of course, if someone wants the middle seat, then I give them the Aisle instead. Don't want them hitting on my wife the whole flight
Ahhhh...memories. I haven't seen an empty row since 1994.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:28 pm

I got one on the way back from LHR just a few weeks ago! It was amazing. it had been quite a while since that happened to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.