FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   How much scrutiny do your expense reports go through? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1888821-how-much-scrutiny-do-your-expense-reports-go-through.html)

COSPILOT Jan 18, 2018 11:06 am

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis (Post 29309065)
Well, have you ever put examples like that in a memo and sent it to your boss? Sometimes companies don't see the big picture as you say but if they don't see it, then duhhh, someone has to show it to them.

I once got an employer to re-imburse the annual fee I paid for a credit card. My reasoning was that if I used that card to pay for rental cars when on business travel, I did not need to pay for rental insurance as the credit card gave me that coverage. The insurance cost on one rental was about as much as the annual fee for the credit card. It didn't take a genius to figure out that was to the company's advantage and agree to pay it. Even my boss was smart enough to figure that out. :D

What I didn't bother mentioning to my boss was the other perks that card gave me. That's what you call a win/win. The company saved money and I got see extras without paying for the card.

Believe me I tried, and while all agreed, not one single person was interested in logic.

Badenoch Jan 18, 2018 11:22 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT (Post 29308998)
One boss actually took me aside years ago, a company with a very easy (non existent) travel policy. Instead of praising me, he gave me a hard time for being number 1 in sales, but number 8 in expenses. He said I was making the others look bad, and that would not be tolerated...

I've never received grief from a boss but from co-workers. I'm not the one who expenses each and every item and if on my own would prefer a quick takeaway meal in my room instead of dining alone at a fine restaurant. I also never expense alcohol unless entertaining clients or local colleagues. It's not the company's business what and how much I'm imbibing. Meanwhile, I watch others expense gourmet meals, hotel spa visits, in-room movies and mini-bars, etc.

However, if the company is giving me grief, nickle and diming, or treating me like a white collar criminal when I submit expenses then I get very "creative" in my submissions. ;)

nd2010 Jan 18, 2018 12:54 pm

I know someone who had to pay $600 for a round trip flight from PHL-BDL as well as the associated expenses instead of being allowed to drive his own car. He preferred to drive himself. Mileage reimbursements would have cost much less than the flight and several taxis. He lives an hour northeast of PHL so he had to backtrack, whereas he could drive it in 3 hours each way

darthbimmer Jan 18, 2018 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by nd2010 (Post 29309595)
I know someone who had to pay $600 for a round trip flight from PHL-BDL as well as the associated expenses instead of being allowed to drive his own car. He preferred to drive himself. Mileage reimbursements would have cost much less than the flight and several taxis. He lives an hour northeast of PHL so he had to backtrack, whereas he could drive it in 3 hours each way

A lot of companies have policies against employees driving their own cars on long trips. Years ago at former employer I needed to travel from near San Francisco to visit a customer in Reno, NV. Southwest offered nonstop service OAK-RNO. Figuring it'd be 4 hours door-to-door whether I drove or flew, and driving let me choose when to depart, I drove. At the government rate I billed about $300 for mileage. Compare that to $275 for airfare (that's what a colleague paid for his) plus about $150 for ground transport if I'd flown. Clearly a win.

My boss approved the mileage expense without comment but the back office sent me a warning not to do it again. They suggested renting a car to drive. Hmm, that could be cheaper. That wasn't the explicit policy at that employer. It is at my current employer, though.

Loren Pechtel Jan 18, 2018 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT (Post 29308998)
One boss actually took me aside years ago, a company with a very easy (non existent) travel policy. Instead of praising me, he gave me a hard time for being number 1 in sales, but number 8 in expenses. He said I was making the others look bad, and that would not be tolerated... That same boss didn't praise me when I received the largest commission check in the 60 year history of the company, instead he called and said he would revamp the comp plan to avoid such large checks. I left the company a week later.

I rather suspect #1 in expenses was the boss.

Long, long ago: Conference. My father went and his boss went.

Father: Stayed across the street from the conference, spent reasonably. Boss: Stayed in the conference hotel, spent high, brought his wife along and paid her costs. The end result was the boss's expenses were 4x what my father spent. The boss was not happy!

Loren Pechtel Jan 18, 2018 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 29310852)
My boss approved the mileage expense without comment but the back office sent me a warning not to do it again. They suggested renting a car to drive. Hmm, that could be cheaper. That wasn't the explicit policy at that employer. It is at my current employer, though.

Yeah, at that range it's most likely cheaper to rent. I've done it on occasion but generally the timing doesn't work.

jrl767 Jan 18, 2018 11:33 pm

my employers have had contract rental car rates on the order of $30-45/day with unlimited mileage, so that SF<—>Reno trip (depart midafternoon, all day on site with the client, and drive back that night or the following morning) could have realistically been made for ~$100 plus gas ... and of course the taxes are even lower if you pick up the car at an off-airport location

corporate legal also breathes easier since you’re covered under their insurance policy when driving a rental car on company-authorized travel

COSPILOT Jan 18, 2018 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 29311581)
my employers have had contract rental car rates on the order of $30-45/day with unlimited mileage, so that SF<—>Reno trip (depart midafternoon, all day on site with the client, and drive back that night or the following morning) could have realistically been made for ~$100 plus gas ... and of course the taxes are even lower if you pick up the car at an off-airport location

corporate legal also breathes easier since you’re covered under their insurance policy when driving a rental car on company-authorized travel

I actually prefer to rent a car for lengthy trips, which tends to be cheaper for the company compared to expensing miles. Plus, I hate putting more miles on my personal vehicle.

COSPILOT Jan 18, 2018 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel (Post 29311539)
I rather suspect #1 in expenses was the boss.

Long, long ago: Conference. My father went and his boss went.

Father: Stayed across the street from the conference, spent reasonably. Boss: Stayed in the conference hotel, spent high, brought his wife along and paid her costs. The end result was the boss's expenses were 4x what my father spent. The boss was not happy!

Foolishly, I had never thought of that. You are likely correct. I'm about as frugal as it gets, and if I'm not with a client, I'm content with Subway for lunch. I've always taken pride in saving the company money.

matrixwalker2012 Jan 19, 2018 12:28 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT (Post 29308394)
My biggest gripe is employers that aren't capable of seeing the "big" picture. I can fly out of COS, which is a short drive for me, free valet parking (I have a yearly membership with the airport), or I can drive to DEN, expensive parking, toll way expense, and obviously much higher mileage expense. But because airfare is $50 cheaper out of DEN, that is preferred, even though I would overall save them money in the grand scheme of things.

Same with hotels, if I stay at a property I have status at, I end up with free breakfast and in better clubs, I can even make a dinner out of the free offerings. Since we don't get a per diem, I'm saving the company money if I do this, but XYZ hotel down the street is $20 cheaper, and now I will go out for breakfast and dinner, adding $50/day to the trip. This is the crap that drives me nuts with large companies that live in a vacuum.

So if I follow company policy on everything, it adds about $1,000 per month in expenses vs. my way.

Anyone highly skilled enough to think big picture wouldn't be working for long in a job reviewing ERs. There's much better jobs out there for those people...

krazykanuck Jan 19, 2018 12:32 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 29310852)
A lot of companies have policies against employees driving their own cars on long trips.

I've run into this before. At a former job, trips from Houston to Austin/San Antonio/Dallas were fairly common, and I didn't mind driving them. I mean Austin and SA your all in time to drive vs airport/security/BS is about the same. Dallas is marginally longer. If I wanted to drive to Dallas and expense the mileage I'd get push back because they "didn't want other people to feel they had to drive vs fly" because the company would rather you flew.

der_saeufer Jan 19, 2018 1:57 am

As a US Federal employee, there just isn't that much room for interpretation. Max hotel rates are published, food is a location-based per diem, and most air routes have a contract fare that's required to be used. The only time there's any real room for interpretation is when you're doing something creative like spending the weekend after the trip or driving instead of flying, but even those boil down to "don't cost the taxpayers extra and be prepared to prove it". That doesn't stop some GS-7 on a power trip from telling you what to do, but when the rules are in black and white a little persistence will nearly always prevail.

but, since we're sharing ridiculous travel/expense stories...

When I lived in the DC area, my boss who lived in the District and didn't drive insisted that we had to take the least expensive flight regardless of airport. I lived 10 minutes from BWI, but the flight from IAD was $20 cheaper so I was ordered in writing to fly from IAD.

Unsurprisingly, the travel section (who worked for the boss's boss) was not happy when I submitted $230 in cab fare to get to and from IAD for a $150 flight but had no choice but to approve it. That 'policy' was quickly changed to "you must compare costs between airports" and I never took another domestic trip from IAD.

In the federal job prior to that, I had a travel person repeatedly try to deny $4.50 in bus fare to the airport for lack of receipts (can you even get a receipt from a city bus anywhere in the US?). I started attaching a screenshot of the regulation that said receipts aren't required under $75. In retrospect, I should've taken a $50 cab ride.

Loose Cannon Jan 19, 2018 2:06 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck (Post 29311662)
I've run into this before. At a former job, trips from Houston to Austin/San Antonio/Dallas were fairly common, and I didn't mind driving them. I mean Austin and SA your all in time to drive vs airport/security/BS is about the same. Dallas is marginally longer. If I wanted to drive to Dallas and expense the mileage I'd get push back because they "didn't want other people to feel they had to drive vs fly" because the company would rather you flew.

I guess neither party considered Greyhound?

MarkOK Jan 19, 2018 8:32 am

I'm supposed to rent cars for long trips too, but I don't usually have to and usually don't. I would rather put the miles on my own car (which I drive into the ground anyways) and just collect the mileage reimbursement (even at my state-legislature cheaper rate) really for one reason and one reason only --- I hate spending that extra 10-30 minutes (dependingon the line) that is often required to get the paperwork and everything set to go for a rental plus the extra paperwork involved in collecting quotes etc.

I do have to collect airline quotes for any trip I drive 'out of state' though, which gets real fun. So, if I need to run to NW Arkansas, a 6 hour round trip drive, I have to compare the mileage reimbursement to the airfare from SWO-DFW-XNA and back (usually, some ridiculous $400-1000 fare that nobody in their right mind would ever spend money on and would take minimum 6 hours of flight/layover time each way) and attach that to show that mileage was cheaper.

dulciusexasperis Jan 19, 2018 8:46 am

Well, one possible thought people might get out of all this is that having an 'expense account' is not necessarily the advantage many people who don't have one, think it is. :rolleyes:

I've never worked for a company where I had a problem with expenses. Most have been fairly liberal in their interpretations. Where something has been questionable, I'm a salesman, I got creative. Perhaps that's more of an issue for people who are less creative in their way of thinking. In the case of government employees, obviously creativity of any kind is frowned upon.