FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   not a single passenger death on a commercial JET aircraft anywhere in 2017 (?) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1885673-not-single-passenger-death-commercial-jet-aircraft-anywhere-2017-a.html)

closetasfan Jan 1, 2018 3:13 pm

not a single passenger death on a commercial JET aircraft anywhere in 2017 (?)

Saw on Twitter "not a single passenger death on a commercial JET aircraft anywhere on earth in 2017"

(I'm assuming that the poster means due to accidents, and not other causes)

is this true? If so, that's awesome.

* adding that the I believe the last major accident on a US airline was in 2001, 17 yrs ago, which I think is a great record for safety *

tinkicker Jan 1, 2018 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by closetasfan (Post 29237157)
Saw on Twitter "not a single passenger death on a commercial JET aircraft anywhere on earth in 2017"

* adding that the I believe the last major accident on a US airline was in 2001, 17 yrs ago, which I think is a great record for safety *

Colgan 3407 in 2009. Maybe not a pure "jet" but 50 fatalities none the less.

txflyer77 Jan 1, 2018 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by tinkicker (Post 29237177)
Colgan 3407 in 2009. Maybe not a pure "jet" but 50 fatalities none the less.

Not a jet at all. It's a prop plane.

84fiero Jan 1, 2018 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by txflyer77 (Post 29237218)

Propellers do not necessarily mean the plane lacks a jet engine. The Dash 8 that was involved in that incident is in fact a turboprop, with jet engines driving propellers.

Presumably the OP saw a reference to articles such as this:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKBN1EQ17L

Kagehitokiri Jan 1, 2018 5:44 pm

news.aviation-safety.net/2017/12/30/preliminary-asn-data-show-2017-safest-year-aviation-history/

five were passenger flights
aviation-safety.net/database/hpbarometer_gallery.php?year=2017
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SDp7p1y6m7N5xD5_fpOkYOrJvd68V7iy6etXy2cetb8/
to70.com/to70s-civil-aviation-safety-review-2017/

CPRich Jan 2, 2018 8:50 am

Originally Posted by txflyer77 (Post 29237218)

You'll have to argue that with the Aviation Safety Network, as they state

The United States last recorded a fatal airline passenger jet crash in February 2009, when Colgan Air Flight 3407 crashed
It is powered by a combustion turbine engine. The devices moving the air just happen to be in open air vs. contained in the nacelle as with a turbofan. I don't think there are any commercial "pure" turbojet engine-powered aircraft around, but I may be mistaken.

LarryJ Jan 2, 2018 9:24 am

The stat, upon which this the original post is based, clearly excludes turboprop flights.

84fiero Jan 2, 2018 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 29237596)
news.aviation-safety.net/2017/12/30/preliminary-asn-data-show-2017-safest-year-aviation-history/

aviation-safety.net/database/hpbarometer_gallery.php?year=2017
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SDp7p1y6m7N5xD5_fpOkYOrJvd68V7iy6etXy2cetb8/
to70.com/to70s-civil-aviation-safety-review-2017/

From the ASN links above, taking into account turboprops as well, there were 10 fatal accidents (half on cargo flights, half on passenger flights). Two in the US, one in Canada, rest in various other countries. One was a 747 cargo flight. Several Cessna Grand Caravans (popular for small cargo). ATR-42 and a Shorts 330. Plus some others.

Aviation Safety Network > Database > Fatal airliner accidents 2017

http://news.aviation-safety.net/2017...ation-history/

Proudelitist Jan 2, 2018 9:59 am

Originally Posted by closetasfan (Post 29237157)

Well there was a Turkish 747 crash that killed 39 but it was a cargo plane. Most of the 39 were on the ground but the rest were crew. I would call cargo "commercial" because..well, commerce. And of course, it was run by a commercial airline:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkis...es_Flight_6491

LarryJ Jan 2, 2018 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Proudelitist (Post 29240113)
Well there was a Turkish 747 crash that killed 39 but it was a cargo plane. Most of the 39 were on the ground but the rest were crew. I would call cargo "commercial" because..well, commerce. And of course, it was run by a commercial airline:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkis...es_Flight_6491

The statement is no PASSENGER deaths. The cargo aircraft don't have passengers.

WorldLux Jan 2, 2018 10:37 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ (Post 29240198)

Even if you include them you come to the same conclusion: Aviation is extremely safe. The 39 dead in the 747F crash, the passenger that perished in the West wind crash and the numerous people that died in GA incidents during 2017 are dwarfed by the number of people dying in car accidents in a large city each year.

airmotive Jan 2, 2018 12:49 pm

Meh...that's a headline in search of a news story. (ie, clickbait)
It's factually accurate to say 2017 was the safest year on record for airline passenger service...which is what ASN stated in their study. Nothing more.
I've met Harro Ranter (he runs ASN), and he's a level-headed, factual guy. (He's Dutch, after all!).
While flattered with being noticed by the POTUS, I'm sure he's pulling his hair out with all the inquiries stacking up in his inbox. (ASN is a two-person operation).

The fact is, traveling above 5 miles per hour and/or 5 feet above the ground brings with it the risk of injury or death.
The amount of effort, money, time, money, and more money to safely operate an airline is staggering.
But after Trump's tweet, the topic immediately becomes political and polarized...and pointless.
The left starts churning the stats to prove Trump wrong; the right churns the stats to prove the left wrong.
Pointless.

Fly safely, folks.

rickg523 Jan 2, 2018 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by airmotive (Post 29240913)
Meh...that's a headline in search of a news story. (ie, clickbait)
It's factually accurate to say 2017 was the safest year on record for airline passenger service...which is what ASN stated in their study. Nothing more.
I've met Harro Ranter (he runs ASN), and he's a level-headed, factual guy. (He's Dutch, after all!).
While flattered with being noticed by the POTUS, I'm sure he's pulling his hair out with all the inquiries stacking up in his inbox. (ASN is a two-person operation).

The fact is, traveling above 5 miles per hour and/or 5 feet above the ground brings with it the risk of injury or death.
The amount of effort, money, time, money, and more money to safely operate an airline is staggering.
But after Trump's tweet, the topic immediately becomes political and polarized...and pointless.
The left starts churning the stats to prove Trump wrong; the right churns the stats to prove the left wrong.
Pointless.

Fly safely, folks.

I think the question after Trump took credit for air safety in 2017 is whether he credits Obama with flight safety for the 8 previous years. It's not really political. It's a character issue. Taking credit for things you don't deserve credit for and hypocritically withholding the same consideration for someone else. That's not R or D. It's childish.

Proudelitist Jan 2, 2018 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ (Post 29240198)

Believe me, at the time of impact, the crew were nothing but passengers along for the ride.

ft101 Jan 2, 2018 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ (Post 29239963)
The stat, upon which this the original post is based, clearly excludes turboprop flights.

This is FT. Don't let facts get in the way of a pedantry. :)