Losing All Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losing All Status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Current: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond. Former United 1K, JetBlue Mosiac, SPG Platinum
Losing All Status

Since graduating college I have worked as a consultant for a large company. During the last 5 years. I have gained
• United 1k
• AA Gold
• JetBlue Mosaic
• National Executive
• Marriott/SPG Platinum 100
• Other randoms

I left my consulting role to go to industry. At the end of this year I will lose all my status (maybe be UA silver). What dawned on me right now is I haven’t boarded in a group lower than Group 1 in over 3 years!!

It will be strange adjusting to this new lifestyle when I travel. Group 5 and in economy no upgrades. Though also relieved I can now just book flights that are convenient and not to figure out how to remake statues. No more company paid business class or frequent upgrades on personal travel. Anyone else go through this?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:37 am

You can atleast status match your status to e.g. Delta or Alaska, and have the status for one more year. Same for hotel - status match to hilton etc.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It's pretty easy to keep hotel statuses at no net cost to you. If you want them, even for the occasional leisure stay, you can have them.

As for airlines, it can be liberating to hold no status. ULCCs if you want to go bare-bones Y or, in many markets, affordable J/F fares if you need to fly a legacy carrier.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you wish, you can earlier boarding with some airlines by holding their credit card, and even earlier boarding by buying their extra legroom seats.

Meanwhile, what's the last time you flew on AA? They've recently added many numbers to the boarding groups, so it's no longer case that all elites are in group 1. AA Gold is now in group 4, unless you happen to be in First.

But you still are in an early enough group that board ahead of most people. But, like I said above, if you get the credit card and/or buy extra legroom seats (called Main Cabin Extra at AA), you also board ahead of most people, because at AA that's now group 5, and so right after AA Gold. And, in fact, one expensive AA credit card gets you the same Group 4 boarding as AA Gold! See here for all the details on the new AA boarding groups:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ng-process.jsp

Just make sure you never buy "Basic Economy" fares, as with those you board dead last, don't earn miles, etc, etc.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Just make sure you never buy "Basic Economy" fares, as with those you board dead last, don't earn miles, etc, etc.
As long as you have the airline credit card, you're exempt from having to board last or having to pay for a carry on when flying basic economy. So the airline credit card really helps there.
Artpen100 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:59 am

Losing status is fine. The problem comes if you ever restart flying and have to build it up again
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect as we move this query.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by GeoSpark
Since graduating college I have worked as a consultant for a large company. During the last 5 years. I have gained
• United 1k
• AA Gold
• JetBlue Mosaic
• National Executive
• Other randoms
How much weight did you gain?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been status-less (well, aside from UA silver that I hardly ever use) for several years now. It's lovely. You really notice how differently the different airlines treat nonstatus fliers. UA treats them like dirt. Delta and American are better. And I no longer feel beholden to fly UA like I used to. It helps living in a place that just has a small regional airport where I have to connect to get anywhere.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
UA treats them like dirt.
Don't I know it. My wife and I are UA 1K but my adult children have no status. Even as a 1K my wife says the FAs treat her (and everyone else) like dirt (I guess I'm used to it) but she enjoys the E+ and lounge access and TSA Pre.

My children, however, whom I treat to a flight out to CA once a year now say they will pay whatever extra is needed to fly BA, VS or Norwegian because they loathe UA so much.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The solution to having no status is just paying cash for First or Business Class tickets instead. Then you get all the key benefits anyway - certainly on airlines, I never understood the benefits of hotel status.

If you buy in the sale and are carrier agnostic then most of the time leisure travel in these cabins is entirely affordable.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
Losing status is fine. The problem comes if you ever restart flying and have to build it up again
that can be mitigated by Status challenges or by flying F/J fares until Status is earned.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
that can be mitigated by Status challenges or by flying F/J fares until Status is earned.
The pain of losing status can also be mitigated by focusing your travel during the busy years on providers with a lifetime status program. Then instead of dropping to nil you keep at least something.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I am either cattle or silver, depending on the airline. Basic economy helps because then the chance of a gate checked bag is much less. The advantages of silver is then only a slightly better location of seats. I rarely check bags and don't mind boarding around the middle.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by GeoSpark
• United 1k
• AA Gold
• JetBlue Mosaic
• National Executive
• Other randoms

I left my consulting role to go to industry. At the end of this year I will lose all my status (maybe be UA silver). What dawned on me right now is I haven’t boarded in a group lower than Group 1 in over 3 years!!

It will be strange adjusting to this new lifestyle when I travel. Group 5 and in economy no upgrades. Though also relieved I can now just book flights that are convenient and not to figure out how to remake statues. No more company paid business class or frequent upgrades on personal travel. Anyone else go through this?
There are other ways to maintain your status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.