Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why didn't 3x4x2 seating take off?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Modern load control programs are very good at calculating CoG and other parameters based on static LOPA and dynamic DCS inputs, including how these change as fuel burns off and how trim should be altered accordingly.
I think CoG means center of gravity.

What are static LOPA and dynamic DCS?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
There are some passenger comfort issues.

Theoretically 3-3-3 offers economy cabin passengers the highest chance of an empty seat next to them. To see why, consider the seat factors that would be required for every passenger to have an empty seat next to them:

3-3-3 = o-o o-o o-o = 6/9 seats occupied = 67%
3-4-2 = o-o o-o- o- = 5/9 seats occupied = 56%
2-5-2 = o- o-o-o o- = 5/9 seats occupied = 56%
2-4-2 = o- o-o- o- = 4/8 seats occupied = 50%
3-4-3 = o-o o-o- o-o = 6/10 seats occupied = 60%

(o = occupied, - = not occupied)

The higher the "empty seat guarantee seat factor", the more likely it is that a passenger will be on such a flight. So 3-3-3 will cause the most passengers possible to have a more comfortable journey.

Now the problem with this approach is that most passengers travel on busy flights and/or that at some stages of the cycle most flights are busy, but that is another story...

More realistic is, can you sit no more than one seat from the aisle? That's what made 2-5-2 so nice.

IIRC, one of the reasons UA claimed they had to go 3-3-3 from 2-5-2 was the economies of scale of manufacturing all 3-seat sections. There was also some talk about certifying 5-seat sections with embedded IFE, IIRC.

All moot now in 3-4-3 world.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by nerd
I think CoG means center of gravity.

What are static LOPA and dynamic DCS?
LOPA = Layout Of Passenger Accomodation

DCS = Departure Control System

The LOPA is basically the engineering drawing of the interior (viz. which seats are at what exact location) and doesn't change. The DCS controls the allocation of passengers to different seats. If you know the LOPA and have the inputs from the DCS as to who is checked in where, you can then calculate the exact trim needed to keep the aircraft level and/or optimise fuel efficiency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.