New TWA Lounge opens in NYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

I don't think it's new to FT'ers that the TWA Center at JFK is being turned into a hotel. But to help built anticipation, the developers of the hotel have opened the "TWA Lounge" at the World Trade Center. The Lounge is targeted mainly as a "sales center and event space", although individuals can visit by appointment. CNN (link below) shared a fun slideshow of the Lounge, including all the TWA memorabilia.

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/tw...ork/index.html
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Gig103
"TWA Lounge"

Obviously I'm not knowledgeable about NYC nor TWA... but this title just hit me like

Gig103 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:59 pm

If I ever get the chance I'll go. I was a heavy TWA frequent flyer for a period and they were my first TATL carrier. Still have the card in my drawer
relaxabit likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
First international trip I took was on TWA, JFK to FCO on a Lockheed TriStar. I'd love to be able to visit a lounge restored to TWA glory.

Only other place I'm aware of that has a good supply of TWA geekery is a small museum at MKC.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Originally Posted by Gig103
But to help built anticipation,
Not unlike the last 4 years of advertising masquerading as news articles which were promoting this new hotel which has yet to transpire.

My money says it never happens, or it would have already. Now that Chinese money is basically gone from the NY real estate market that ship has sailed.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I actually care less about the hotel than I do the lounge.

Although JFK could certainly use another good hotel option. Or 5.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:20 pm

For a moment, I thought someone bumped a thread from 1999.
Gig103 and dinoscool3 like this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The TWA lounges weren't so wonderful. The only free F&B consisted of pretzel balls and coffee or tea, both self serve from the edge of the bar. If the lounge employees wanted to be nice on a hot day, they would also provide some tap ice water in self serve ugly plastic pitchers. They charged even for nonalcoholic beverages like Coke and the servers expected tips too. No showers either and of course no computers/printers/wifi, although there were some phones for free local and 800 calls, or you could use your credit card to place a long distance call. OTOH, there were newspapers and magazines, although airplanes had magazines too in those days.
relaxabit likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by KDS777
Not unlike the last 4 years of advertising masquerading as news articles which were promoting this new hotel which has yet to transpire.

My money says it never happens, or it would have already. Now that Chinese money is basically gone from the NY real estate market that ship has sailed.
Have you been to JFK recently? Construction is underway, well underway, and has been for some time.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:56 pm

I haven't been thru JFK for 10 years.

It doesn't take that long to put up a hotel, or other commercial building either........<12 months isn't unheard of.

How long has this been under construction ?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:06 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I haven't been thru JFK for 10 years.

It doesn't take that long to put up a hotel, or other commercial building either........<12 months isn't unheard of.

How long has this been under construction ?
You do realize this is a refurb/refit of a the classic world port right? This isn't slapping together some cookie cutter Hampton Inn by the interstate.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:15 pm

Yes I do.

And, from what I've read, a "hotel" is supposed to be attached to the refurbed world port building. But all I've had access to are the 4-5 recycled PR articles that have continued to pop up over the last few years in the MSM.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
[pedant]

Worldport was Terminal 3, the now demolished Pan Am Terminal (a real tragedy, IMO)

Flight Center was the name of Terminal 5, TWA's terminal

[/pedant]

Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Anyone visit the new TWA Lounge at the WTC?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Yes I do.

And, from what I've read, a "hotel" is supposed to be attached to the refurbed world port building. But all I've had access to are the 4-5 recycled PR articles that have continued to pop up over the last few years in the MSM.
Hotel is accepting reservations and is opening 5-15-19.

https://www.twahotel.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.