"Stupid or shocking" travel / geography related things you just learned about

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Stupid or shocking" travel / geography related things you just learned about

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Skatering
When I was at university in central London, anything further out than Zone 2 was considered Narnia. I remember going to a friend's party in Zone 3 and many people were late citing 'I didn't realise you lived in the middle of nowhere!'

I live just outside the M25. Every time I tell Londoners where I live, I'm met with 'Where's that?' or 'Which stop is that?'. I go to Edinburgh and tell people where I live, and they know exactly where that is.
LOL. I thought it was just Zone 1, Zone 2, and Heathrow. You mean there's other stuff out there beyond Zone 2?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Talking about surprise distances.... A few years ago I was buying plane tickets for a work trip to Alaska and for a vacation to visit my wife's best friend in Missouri when I got home.

I was really surprised to find out that Springfield, Mo is only 60 miles farther from Portland, OR than Anchorage, AK is.
I post on a cruise board, and it's not uncommon for infrequent travelers to not understand why so many flights from Alaska are red-eyes. "I live on the East Coast. Why can't I find a day flight back from Anchorage?" They can't grasp that, depending on their airport, it would be quicker for them to fly to Europe (typically a red eye flight) than to fly to the East Coast from Alaska.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:25 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by pinniped
LOL. I thought it was just Zone 1, Zone 2, and Heathrow. You mean there's other stuff out there beyond Zone 2?
According to the TfL Map there is also a zone 2/3, which, of course, is less than 1. It includes the excellently named "Pudding Mill Lane" and allows you to travel to East India, which as we all know, is roughly 4900 miles from Stratford, making the £1.50 off-peak Oyster fare a bargain. That's 0.03p/mile - don't let anybody tell you that London transport is expensive.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by stut
According to the TfL Map there is also a zone 2/3,
It's a stupid way of showing the stations are in both zone 2 and zone 3, it used to be a white box around it which was so much easier to use. This new map is pants
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
To add to this: Kansas is not flat. It's around 900' in Kansas City and up to 4000' at its western edge. ("Mount Sunflower" being the highest point...LOL.)

The Flint Hills region along the way is quite beautiful..
i lived in kansas for several years, often driving between lawrence (KU) and wichita (where my mom lived). some of mom's friends would comment on how nice it must be to drive through the flint hills, and it took me a couple of years to realize that i had. i grew up in albuquerque, so i different expectations of "hills."
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: whatever it takes

enjoy! map deception...
roberino likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Southern California does not really have "beach weather" during most of of June due to something called June Gloom where you get clouds and fog off the Pacific making daytime high temperatures as low as 60F.
Even during perfectly sunny days, it would rarely go above 72F, which, for someone from Chicago, is not exactly beach weather.

Also, how huge the "LA Area" is. It is almost 120 miles to go from Oxnard to San Bernardino.
ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by Putnik; Oct 25, 2017 at 3:05 pm
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Putnik
Also, how huge the "LA Area" is. It is almost 120 miles to go from Oxnard to San Bernardino.
Or down to San Clemente. I think of that as "LA area", Carlsbad as "San Diego area", and everything in between as "military stuff". (I'm from Kansas...it's possible I'm alone on that...)
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by crabbing
i lived in kansas for several years, often driving between lawrence (KU) and wichita (where my mom lived). some of mom's friends would comment on how nice it must be to drive through the flint hills, and it took me a couple of years to realize that i had. i grew up in albuquerque, so i different expectations of "hills."
Reminds me when I moved to Phoenix (from northern California). I was looking at apartments before moving and commented to the front office rep in one, "This is nice, you can see the hills from the patio."

He just laughed and said "No, those are mountains!"
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by Putnik
Southern California does not really have "beach weather" during most of of June due to something called June Gloom where you get clouds and fog off the Pacific making daytime high temperatures as low as 60F.
Even during perfectly sunny days, it would rarely go above 72F, which, for someone from Chicago, is not exactly beach weather.

When I visit San Francisco I always forget how cool the mornings are, and how warm it gets in the afternoon.

As for LA, the city of LA is 500 sq miles, the STATE of Rhode Island is only a little more than double that at 1200sq miles. Yet anyone from the LA metro area comes from LA. Ask someone from Woonsocket if the come from Providence, you will get an emphatic no. Same with Cambridge and Boston. Scale simply operates different here.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
Something that always amuses me, as a native of Florida, is how much people underestimate that state’s total length. From Pensacola to Miami is 650 miles of driving, and to Key West it’s 800 miles or more.
when we moved to the Florida panhandle, we had to train friends and family
that we couldn’t just get together during their trip to Disneyworld because it’s a six hour drive one way from our house to Orlando. (Ten of those six hours are the stretch between Tallahassee and the I-75 interchange at Lake City since rural I-10 makes a case for being the most boring interstate in America and alll)
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by beachmouse
when we moved to the Florida panhandle, we had to train friends and family
that we couldn’t just get together during their trip to Disneyworld
Doesn't that make your username slightly disingenuous?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Fraser
Doesn't that make your username slightly disingenuous?
Mickey's the black sheep of the family who moved away and went Hollywood- the rumors they've had to suppress over the years and all.

And back on topic- The closest major city to the western Florida panhandle (Pensacola to Destin) is New Orleans
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
When people visit SF, and don't realize even in summer you need sweaters and such, not to mention different parts of the city have very different weather.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The geographically-ignorant security contractors used by DL at AMS couldn’t figure out why for a third of the people resident in Sweden CPH is their first or second most frequently used airport for international flights. “Dude, the countries are separated by a bridge crossing that takes less than 15 minutes by commuter rail. Go figure.”

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 27, 2017 at 7:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.