Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$99 Flights To Beijing - With A Dangerous Catch

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Around when I started work, one of the great deals was to take a courier flight. This was in the days before FedEX and DHL and the idea was that they bought you a ticket from London to New York (or, I guess, vice-versa), you couldn't check a bag but you had to carry important documents with you onto the plane. They then met you on arrival and took the documents from you for hand delivery. All perfectly legitimate and I knew many people who did it.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I remember the 'travel cheap' articles back in the 80s and 90s talking about legit courier services like that.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
couldn't you just take the cheap flight and toss the drugs down the toilet?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by steveo
couldn't you just take the cheap flight and toss the drugs down the toilet?
You could, but I think we have watched enough movies to know what are some of the potential consequences.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Statman
Never underestimate the stupidity and willingness of people to take chances in order to score a cheap fare.
Unfortunately that's true
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I flew as an air courier three times circa 1993-94, when there was more of a difference between courier-fare costs and the cheapest regular fares. You wanted to fly for a reputable company like Halbart (which had some NYC-Asia trips, and also a recorded-message after hours with what they had available. And lots of busy signals when you called). You also usually earned miles back then.

These days the rock-bottom fares from LAX/SFO/ORD/NYC/WAS/MIA are quite a bit lower, and courier companies supposedly have arrangements with airlines that no longer require passengers with tickets in most cases. So that ratchets up the suspicion a bit about what they're trying to do in bringing this back. Though back in the old days you'd carry the manifest and would meet the courier company representative before customs and hand him the manifest and your (paper) ticket...you'd only get the ticket back from him at the airport on the trip back.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what payments do they accept? skip luggage and treat flight as one way?

Originally Posted by TProphet
China is not an opioid source country.
you may have been thinking of different opioids

cnn.com/2017/02/16/health/fentanyl-china-ban-opioids/index.html

China will ban the manufacture and sale of four variations of the synthetic drug fentanyl starting March 1
usnews.com/news/world/articles/2017-06-19/china-bans-more-deadly-synthetic-opioids-including-u-47700

China has announced it is banning a deadly synthetic opioid called U-47700 and three other synthetic drugs. Deng said the drugs would be added to China's list of controlled substances as of July 1.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tentseller
Using cheap travel to entice uneducated tourist to carry goods into and out of countries has been around for many years in SE Asia.
A popular one is taking clothes to US and Canada where your second piece of luggage is used by the travel agency who is also a goods shipper.

Another one is when travelling to countries with high duty on liquor and cigarettes you will be advised by your tour guide to buy these at your departure airport duty-free. At the first meal of your tour group, there will be locals who will buy these off you with you getting a small profit and local cash.

A suitcase full of iPhone will net a profit even taking the lost on the ticket cost.
Kids used to take new or used jeans to sell in Russia.

Now you hear of people smuggling baby formula into mainland China in addition to the iphones.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by tentseller
You could, but I think we have watched enough movies to know what are some of the potential consequences.
Clearly I'm poorly informed, but what's the problem??? Lavatory out of commission due to drugs-clog?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
Clearly I'm poorly informed, but what's the problem??? Lavatory out of commission due to drugs-clog?
Fail to deliver goods are frowned upon by people who in this business.
It's only your life, go ahead and take advantage of the offer.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:20 am

as much as everyone likes to think they're shipping drugs or other illegal materials, they won't - because the mule will blab about the source and they will be caught.

the real purpose is to exploit the gray market. shoes, bags/purses, and small electronics are the main commodity. nothing illegal (but don't kid yourself - the goods may be acquired or sold through criminal channels).

the real questions are, what happens if the bag is lost or if there are items missing at the destination.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by crabbing
as much as everyone likes to think they're shipping drugs or other illegal materials, they won't - because the mule will blab about the source and they will be caught.

the real purpose is to exploit the gray market. shoes, bags/purses, and small electronics are the main commodity. nothing illegal (but don't kid yourself - the goods may be acquired or sold through criminal channels).

the real questions are, what happens if the bag is lost or if there are items missing at the destination.
Some countries take copyright/trademark infringement seriously, so bringing a bunch of fakes into the country obviously to be sold later (by someone else if not you) could get you into serious trouble. It could be worse if prohibited items were also involved, such as endangered species. The quantities would clearly not be for personal use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.