Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Tanzanian Post Card Service (Pretty Cool)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

I can't have souvenirs, so I send myself postcards from places I visit. I sent one from Tanzania. Just a blank card with an address. Well, it arrived. Someone had added some jovial Swahili greetings in red script. 155 countries; first time that's happened. Yes, I suppose someone could get in trouble for it (dumb rule), and some sender/recipient could be upset, but I was delighted.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 2:12 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

Congrats! That is way cool, and bound to be your fav.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 2:27 am

I'd gladly pay extra for that service
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:39 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
thats great service
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Congrats! I'm still waiting on mail from Europe that was sent weeks ago. Then again, mail from Warsaw, Poland took three months to arrive but all the postcards made it.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: Uh, I think I got an extra packet of peanuts once.
I'm still waiting, 18 months later, for 16 postcards from Ecuador. I put the correct postage on them, addressed them correctly, dropped them in an official mail box outside a first-class hotel and not one person received their cards. Not one. Obviously some postal employee got the benefit of steaming off my stamps.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Jamarynn1
I'm still waiting, 18 months later, for 16 postcards from Ecuador. I put the correct postage on them, addressed them correctly, dropped them in an official mail box outside a first-class hotel and not one person received their cards. Not one. Obviously some postal employee got the benefit of steaming off my stamps.
18 months? Yeah, those aren't going to show up. Even if some employee DIDN'T steal your stamps, it's probably easier for them to just to throw your postcards away than have to deal with actually processing them.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jamarynn1
Mexico two years ago, batch of postcards, mostly to my elderly aunts, thanking them for the birthday presents (it was my birthday while I was there, two birds, one stone etc). Not a single one arrived, and I only know this because one of them told my mother I was rude for not thanking them!
Old Nov 10, 2015, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
18 months? Yeah, those aren't going to show up. Even if some employee DIDN'T steal your stamps, it's probably easier for them to just to throw your postcards away than have to deal with actually processing them.
I dunno, a few months ago I got a letter from 2011. Sent from the US to a US address. It had a yellow USPS forwarding label on it for my May 2015 address but had been initially addressed to a long-departed address in NYC...
Old Nov 10, 2015, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Of the 155 postcards I've sent (that's my country count - probably pretty close to postcard count), I think I've received all but one card: The Gambia.

I'm drawing a blank, but there was one place where I waited three years, but it did show up.

Considering the fact that most of my discretionary travel is in the Developing World, and it dates back 30 years, I think that's pretty remarkable.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 2:58 pm

I've heard that when stuff is sent to the dead-letter office, it's literally shredded. But with stories of things taking years to be delivered, I wonder where it goes and what happens.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Delete

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; Nov 13, 2015 at 2:06 pm Reason: Faulty memory
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL,EK
In 1998 we mailed postcards from Turkmenistan to the US. Some of them had been purchased in Uzbekistan (and thus had Uzbek pictures on them). They all had Turkmen postage as they were all sent from a Turkmen post office.

None of the cards with Uzbek pictures arrived. All the Turkmen ones arrived just fine.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:59 am

sending postcard

As asn artisy I have often sketched or painted a watercolor impression either on a postcard, (just to the left of the address, where a message would have been written) or on a standard size airmail envelope. I've never lost one yet. The longest to arrive was from Bangkok to Mexico, which took 3 months.
I've exhibited and sold some of them over the years.
For a general review of the subject just google "postal art". It has a long and rich history.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
Just out of curiosity

Why can't you have souvenirs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.