FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   3 days business travel: second pair of shoes? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1792944-3-days-business-travel-second-pair-shoes.html)

lorcar Sep 25, 2016 11:21 am

3 days business travel: second pair of shoes?

question to you expert.
In a 3-4dd business travel, how many pair of shoes are you able to bring with you? assuming off course one carryon bag (+ maybe a backpack for pc etc).
I recently switched to B&R rolling garment bag (the horizontal one) which is carryon. I see people usually go for a run in the morning, then this implies a second pair of (running) shoes. But what about if you have an informal event with colleagues, or need some more comfort, but running shoes are really too much? Should I assume people travel with only dressy shoes and running shoes? I am sure I can sneak in the running shoes, but thinking if I would be better choosing another pair of shoes and forego the run in the morning...

goodeats21 Sep 25, 2016 11:36 am

I imagine this depends greatly on the "dress code" needed for work.

I am not in a very formal work environment, so I easily get away with a single pair of black shoes that can do double duty. OK for work and pairs OK with jeans / less formal wear.

I do pack a pair of running shoes in my roller bag on most every trip.

lorcar Sep 25, 2016 11:41 am

thanks
in my case is suit/tie for work, so it is dress black shoe.

Madone59 Sep 25, 2016 12:00 pm

Sperrys, Sperrys, Sperrys! A pair of topsides are good with shorts, jeans or khakis and a blazer. They are light, and smooshable for packing.

lorcar Sep 25, 2016 4:04 pm

no way to use these with suit and tie. Besides the formal black, I am thinking to some brown loafer, which could go with either jeans or informal pants.
But then if you add running shoes you have 3 pairs, which is too many for 3/4 days

pa3lsvt Sep 25, 2016 4:10 pm

Just remember to pack your socks INSIDE the second pair of shoes, thus reducing the amount of wasted space in the carry-on.

sbm12 Sep 25, 2016 8:10 pm

Whatever pair I wear and one in the bag, whether checked or carry-on. Rare exceptions made for specific needs like hiking boots AND beach shoes on the same trip but even then I try to not add the 3rd pair.

But I also don't run (unless chased, I suppose) so the main query might not really apply to me.

COSPILOT Sep 25, 2016 11:13 pm

One pair for both dress and casual for me. A black or brown dress shoe that works for my dress slacks works fine with jeans as well.

Because I'm often out until 10 pm with clients, and up at 6am to make the next meeting I no longer carry running shoes, only a pair of flip flops on the off chance I have time for a visit to the pool.

On the dress shoe side, I no longer buy expensive dress shoes, as travel is very hard on any shoe. I'm all for lightweight dress shoes, such as Bostonians for example. I don't mind purchasing a new pair if something happens to the existing pair. In fact something about me and airline seats does more damage to my shoes than anything, as the underseat area even in first has lots of sharp objects that I always seem to catch.

So with that, lots of inexpensive shoes you can replace every few months, and with that distract the client with a nice pair of slacks, shirt, and and maybe even a decent Citizen watch.

Yoshi212 Sep 25, 2016 11:42 pm

Honestly for me I have throw aways. If I am traveling for such a short period while trying to maintain an exercise routine & a casual meetup I will bring an older pair of either the casual or running shoe I can consider throw aways.
I will travel to the site wearing 1 of the 3 pairs of shoes and return with 2 of the 3 pairs (1 packed) while leave one behind. The scenario I described happens to me about 2-3 times a year so this is not a financial hardship.

darthbimmer Sep 26, 2016 12:57 am

I usually travel with 2 pairs of shoes: one for business attire, one for relaxing/exercise. One I wear onto the airplane, the other I pack. Which is which depends on what clothes I'm flying in.

injera Sep 26, 2016 12:05 pm

With rare exceptions I can make one pair of shoes work, but i'll bring sneakers if i think my schedule will allow a trip to the gym.

pinniped Sep 26, 2016 12:40 pm

I go with one pair of black shoes and one pair of running shoes. Maybe throw in a pair of lightweight flip flops if I think there will be a pool involved...

TTT Sep 26, 2016 2:59 pm

For my 3-4 day trips which required formal attire I had 3 pairs of shoes:
suit shoes
running shoes
casual shoes

All, (2 suits, 2 shirts, ties, exercise, dop kit, and some casual clothing) fit in my eBags rolling duffel. I had a briefcase for laptop, electronics, and a book.

seaskybound Sep 27, 2016 5:52 am

I have found black running shoes with black soles ok for both running and semi-casual opportunities

jahason Sep 27, 2016 6:08 am

I need formal shoes for meetings, site boots and trainers for the gym. So I bought trainer type site shoes which serve the two last purposes. Also great for walking around.