Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

3 days business travel: second pair of shoes?

Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:21 am
Original Poster

question to you expert.
In a 3-4dd business travel, how many pair of shoes are you able to bring with you? assuming off course one carryon bag (+ maybe a backpack for pc etc).
I recently switched to B&R rolling garment bag (the horizontal one) which is carryon. I see people usually go for a run in the morning, then this implies a second pair of (running) shoes. But what about if you have an informal event with colleagues, or need some more comfort, but running shoes are really too much? Should I assume people travel with only dressy shoes and running shoes? I am sure I can sneak in the running shoes, but thinking if I would be better choosing another pair of shoes and forego the run in the morning...
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I imagine this depends greatly on the "dress code" needed for work.

I am not in a very formal work environment, so I easily get away with a single pair of black shoes that can do double duty. OK for work and pairs OK with jeans / less formal wear.

I do pack a pair of running shoes in my roller bag on most every trip.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:41 am
Original Poster

thanks
in my case is suit/tie for work, so it is dress black shoe.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Sperrys, Sperrys, Sperrys! A pair of topsides are good with shorts, jeans or khakis and a blazer. They are light, and smooshable for packing.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

no way to use these with suit and tie. Besides the formal black, I am thinking to some brown loafer, which could go with either jeans or informal pants.
But then if you add running shoes you have 3 pairs, which is too many for 3/4 days
Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Just remember to pack your socks INSIDE the second pair of shoes, thus reducing the amount of wasted space in the carry-on.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Whatever pair I wear and one in the bag, whether checked or carry-on. Rare exceptions made for specific needs like hiking boots AND beach shoes on the same trip but even then I try to not add the 3rd pair.

But I also don't run (unless chased, I suppose) so the main query might not really apply to me.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
One pair for both dress and casual for me. A black or brown dress shoe that works for my dress slacks works fine with jeans as well.

Because I'm often out until 10 pm with clients, and up at 6am to make the next meeting I no longer carry running shoes, only a pair of flip flops on the off chance I have time for a visit to the pool.

On the dress shoe side, I no longer buy expensive dress shoes, as travel is very hard on any shoe. I'm all for lightweight dress shoes, such as Bostonians for example. I don't mind purchasing a new pair if something happens to the existing pair. In fact something about me and airline seats does more damage to my shoes than anything, as the underseat area even in first has lots of sharp objects that I always seem to catch.

So with that, lots of inexpensive shoes you can replace every few months, and with that distract the client with a nice pair of slacks, shirt, and and maybe even a decent Citizen watch.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Honestly for me I have throw aways. If I am traveling for such a short period while trying to maintain an exercise routine & a casual meetup I will bring an older pair of either the casual or running shoe I can consider throw aways.
I will travel to the site wearing 1 of the 3 pairs of shoes and return with 2 of the 3 pairs (1 packed) while leave one behind. The scenario I described happens to me about 2-3 times a year so this is not a financial hardship.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:57 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I usually travel with 2 pairs of shoes: one for business attire, one for relaxing/exercise. One I wear onto the airplane, the other I pack. Which is which depends on what clothes I'm flying in.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:05 pm

With rare exceptions I can make one pair of shoes work, but i'll bring sneakers if i think my schedule will allow a trip to the gym.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I go with one pair of black shoes and one pair of running shoes. Maybe throw in a pair of lightweight flip flops if I think there will be a pool involved...
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:59 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
For my 3-4 day trips which required formal attire I had 3 pairs of shoes:
suit shoes
running shoes
casual shoes

All, (2 suits, 2 shirts, ties, exercise, dop kit, and some casual clothing) fit in my eBags rolling duffel. I had a briefcase for laptop, electronics, and a book.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
I have found black running shoes with black soles ok for both running and semi-casual opportunities
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
I need formal shoes for meetings, site boots and trainers for the gym. So I bought trainer type site shoes which serve the two last purposes. Also great for walking around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.