Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Any one knows any on board courier companies?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any one knows any on board courier companies?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:47 pm
jy3
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B
That works when you are sending something FROM your office, but not always feasible when you need a vendor to send a critical part TO you.
True, and even if we are sending some stuff from our office, I think the company is not always willing to send their own staff, because they didn't hire us to deliver packages which could take up to 4~5 days, and I guess we don't want to deal with complicated travel insurance, travel expenses, and getting the right schedule for the delivery (flight tickets, transit countries, etc)
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:51 pm
jy3
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
Have you spoken to those courier companies to see if they can offer what you want?

Who do you currently use to ship your products?
I do know that some of my friends in other companies are using ACS or local
Asian companies, but I wasn't sure which companies were like the big 3 companies in courier logistics industry..
As of now, I'm just still looking around to see which companies doing good for clients.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:54 pm
jy3
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B
We use ACS's OBC product for urgent shipments (usually AOG aircraft parts) and I am pleased with the service.

http://www.aircharterservice.com/car...-board-courier
If it's not too much to ask, may I ask costs for your devilry in your situation with ACS? Thank you.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:30 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by jy3
there are times where it gets decided to send some cargos at like 3am in the morning..
Originally Posted by jy3
True, and even if we are sending some stuff from our office
Originally Posted by jy3
I do know that some of my friends in other companies are using ACS or local
Asian companies
So which courier(s) do you or your company currently use?

What type/size of goods does your company send?

Last edited by nux; Apr 20, 2016 at 9:31 am
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by jy3
If it's not too much to ask, may I ask costs for your devilry in your situation with ACS? Thank you.
It varies significantly depending on what needs to be carried, the routing and whether we need door-to-airport or airport-to-airport service.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:33 am

(My nickname gives it away, I work in the freight business)

@OP
Almost all logistics providers offer OBC services, bigger ones often have their own OBC departments, other companys use a pool of agencies.

Not knowing where you're based I would recommend Chapman Freeborn, as they operate globally and are well established in the industry. BUT they're pretty pricey.

@ everyone who's interested in the concept:

I have sold several OBC solutions to our customers, mostly in cases of imminent line stoppages. (e.g. spare parts for a broken production machine urgently needed)

I used to work with a big company where we had our own OBC department, with my current medium sized employer we use agencies. The service and prices are almost the same.

Prices obviously vary a lot depending on the destination and needed qualifications of the courier. (Good couriers have valid visas for almost all major countries, as well as some expertise in dealing with customs.)
Prices Airport to Airport start at 1500 USD for short intra-continental hops and go up to 8000 USD for distances around the globe.
BUT the prices can be a lot higher:
There are cases where the courier takes a helicopter when the destination is too far away from the airport for a car to be on site in a reasonable time.
Sometimes planes are even chartered if the next available commercial connection isn't quick enough.

From what I understand, the courier companys also have special agreements with airlines and therefore book into high fare classes but are guaranteed space on any available flight. (Which drove me nuts when I looked at possible flights and saw that I could easily travel in F or J and sleep in a great hotel at the destination for the same price and just get the shipments there myself. But all my employers forbid that until now.)
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:23 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by jy3
I guess there are some occasions where these products need to be in other country very very quickly from one country to another, and it seems like courier service is the fastest and safest way to do this.

I'm based in Asia and it seems like I can send these packages to Mexico/US in 1 or 2 days and same day delivery for Asian countries, so I guess it could be helpful for a person like me.
fedex custom critical

is what this sounds like
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:19 pm

I know for a fact that TNT Express offers onboard courier services 24/7:

https://www.tnt.com/express/en_us/si...-services.html
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
[QUOTE=jy3;26509568]
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I do know that FedEx offer a "next available plane" service, at very considerable cost, which does essentially the same thing.

Thanks for the advice! However, these courier companies work 24/7 and I can basically get in touch with them any time I want, plus, there are times where it gets decided to send some cargos at like 3am in the morning..
However, the courier is still constrained by flight schedules, so calling at 3 am is unlikely to result in faster delivery than calling at 8 am or even noon if there's one daily flight in the right direction departing in the evening.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My impression is that some law firms would send a junior associate for something sufficiently important.
To make a delivery? Probably not. It's far more efficient to use a courier service, or send someone who isn't capable of billing more than the cost of a courier in the time it would take.
Old May 4, 2016, 3:53 am
jy3
Original Poster

[QUOTE=MSPeconomist;26513210]
Originally Posted by jy3
However, the courier is still constrained by flight schedules, so calling at 3 am is unlikely to result in faster delivery than calling at 8 am or even noon if there's one daily flight in the right direction departing in the evening.
It is true that the courier is constrained by flight schedules but calling at 8 am won't make it possible to send shipments through flights departing before 8 am like 6 am or 7 am..Besides, I know that it is rare but some courier companies even have air charter service if commercial flights don't offer schedules that I need.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:50 pm

I have some experience with what I think the OP is asking, and the courier industry now is about 5% of what it was 20 years ago - the internet basically did it in.

My sis-in-law was regional manager for one of the bigger courier companies, one that specialized in the entertainment industry and legal documents. Back in the day, one of their staff would go to a film shoot, pick up a reel, go to the airport and then personally fly with it to whatever studio or network exec was supposed to review. These days they just email the file instead. When I was making regular transcon trips in college I would sometimes pick up a package at one end, carry it on the plane, then hand it off to a local company employee at the other end. Again, those documents are going electronically now.

There are only a very few companies left that transport high value small items, and their prices are outrageous. Personally I'd try DHL over the tiny firms out there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.