Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions/Comments that Drive You Nuts from Infrequent Travelers

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by MEABFlyer
7. I say, "yes, but I only pay minimum wage." That ends the line of questioning.
They're only kidding, you know
Old May 5, 2015, 2:22 pm

"Can you drink the water in Italy?"
Old May 5, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
It's just my opinion, so I won't try hard to defend it. Travel, for me is about experiences, not pins in a map.
I agree that travel is (or at least should be) a deep and enriching experience, and to reduce it to a count of pins on the map misses the point almost entirely. That said, I regard the question, "How many countries have you been to?" as simply an easy starting point for any number of interesting conversations, not the totality of the conversation itself.
Old May 5, 2015, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I agree that travel is (or at least should be) a deep and enriching experience, and to reduce it to a count of pins on the map misses the point almost entirely. That said, I regard the question, "How many countries have you been to?" as simply an easy starting point for any number of interesting conversations, not the totality of the conversation itself.
Totally agree with this.

That said, Mrs. Lee and I do literally have a large world map in our den with map pins in each place we've visited. Kind of fun to watch it grow and a nice conversation piece, even when just the two of us are sitting there reminiscing and aching with wanderlust.

We will not add a pin in a location unless it was a true visit - staying several nights, eating local meals, visiting sites, etc.

It's also a neat way to remind ourselves of how big the world is and how much of it we haven't experienced yet (and thus need to plan a trip to!).
Old May 5, 2015, 8:21 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by mromalley
"Can you drink the water in Italy?"
No, only San Pellegrino. Or Panna. Or...
Old May 5, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by gooselee
That said, Mrs. Lee and I do literally have a large world map in our den with map pins in each place we've visited. Kind of fun to watch it grow and a nice conversation piece, even when just the two of us are sitting there reminiscing and aching with wanderlust.
19 years ago I bought a cork board and trimmed a map to fit it for precisely the same reason. We use colored pins to mark each city/area we've been to. I couldn't tell you exactly how many pins are in it, beyond "Well over 100." I'd have to stand there and count. Which isn't the point. Though I can tell you with more precision how many countries I've visited. It's "14 to 17, depending on how you count them."
Old May 5, 2015, 11:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Had one tonight "How do you get your flights?"

I said "I buy them over the internet"
Old May 6, 2015, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by CMK10
Had one tonight "How do you get your flights?"

I said "I buy them over the internet"
That internet thing surprised me too. I thought you'd attach a note to a carrier pigeon and send it to your local travel agent.
Old May 6, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
1. I told a friend of mine that I travel frequently on mistake fares and that you have to be signed up to various FT threads/bloggers in order to catch the mistake fare. He says, "Yeah, I know all about it. I've signed up for Kayak alerts, but they get annoying after awhile."

2. Yesterday:
Me: I'm going to Iceland next month.
Friend: WHY?! The only thing there is ICE.
Me: No...*explains different attractions we're going to visit*
Friend: Okay, take a picture of an igloo. I've never seen one in person.
Me: Um.
Old May 6, 2015, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by HMO
No, only San Pellegrino. Or Panna. Or...
they were equally baffled when I told them the Romans pretty much "invented" running water.
Old May 6, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
Originally Posted by heraclitus
They're only kidding, you know
I am too. I tip well so they would make a dollar or two more
Old May 13, 2015, 5:08 am

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I actually thought they do take US dollars, British pounds, etc. At least at the airport duty-free shops I've been to. I would presume Sydney would be the same.
Yes but change is given in local currency
Old May 13, 2015, 5:15 am

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
19 years ago I bought a cork board and trimmed a map to fit it for precisely the same reason. We use colored pins to mark each city/area we've been to. I couldn't tell you exactly how many pins are in it, beyond "Well over 100." I'd have to stand there and count. Which isn't the point. Though I can tell you with more precision how many countries I've visited. It's "14 to 17, depending on how you count them."
We have a large framed world map in our kitchen that our children decorated with pictures of great adventures we had togethe and gave to us for a special anniversary. It's a great conversation piece and we refer to it daily whether it's to find some place they are discussing on the news, where to go next, or just general history or geography questions . It helps to remind us how big and small the world is.
Old May 13, 2015, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Overheard in SYD int'l duty free:
American tourist (loudly and slowly): "Do. You. Take. Dollars. ?"
Duty-free employee (sweetly): "Yes, of course."
* American tourist tries to pay for something.*
Duty-free employee (still smiling): "Ah, no, sir, we only take AUSTRALIAN dollars."
American tourist: "grumble grumble stupid foreign money grump grump."
Duty-free employee (still smiling): "Have a nice day, sir."
Most duty-free shops I've been at will take multiple currencies, but their exchange rates aren't good.
Old May 13, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Flight arrives 15 minutes late due to some incident beyond the airlines control.

Infrequent traveler "Well I am never flying xyz airline again!"
On my SHA-HND flight 2 days ago, we were still waiting to take off about 10 mins after scheduled take-off time. A Chinese pax loudly demanded why there was no information given about the delay... come on, seriously, 10 mins is nothing! (We took off about 5 mins later.)

When at my CouchSurfing host in Mexico City, another American surfing with him asked me, "Where in Singapore are you from?"
"Erm... Singapore is just Singapore..."
"Come on, there must be at least 10 cities there!"
Had to drag him over to the computer and open up Google Maps, type in "Singapore" and then zoom out...
Same guy later, attempting to tell us where he went in Southeast Asia, drew a "map" of the area which basically just had 2 big blobs...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.