Search

B1 Visa Question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

B1 Visa Question

Hi everyone.

Quick question:

I'm a Canadian who travels leisurely to the US throughout parts of the year for a few days or a week at a time. Usually my passport is stamped with a B2 Visa or sometimes it's not stamped at all.

Last week I went on vacation and I was stamped with a B1 Visa (with a 6 month end date). I didn't inquire about this at the time, but a B1 is for business purposes. Will I run into issues or questioning regarding this status the next time I try to cross the border?

And does the 6 month extension they put on it have any bearing on future travel?

My only thought is that it was very early in the morning and there were many business travelers, so perhaps the agent meant to use a different stamp when scanning my passport?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
The agent made a mistake You are talking about the stamp that they are putting in the passport and not an actual visa with a picture, correct?

The visa (for the people that need it - as a Canadian you do not) is a combined B1/B2 and the immigration officer is stamping B1 or B2 on the entry stamp based on what you tell them you are entering for. Both are allowed at any time.

No worries at all - B1 is a business and not work category (it is an important difference) - most of the people that are coming on B1/B2 visas or will have a mix of both designations on stamps in their passports. B1 may mean that you came for a meeting for example. You cannot work on B1 for example.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
If you are traveling to the U.S. that much you should get Nexus:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.