FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Shortest Runway with mainline narrow body service (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1565713-shortest-runway-mainline-narrow-body-service.html)

teCh0010 Apr 2, 2014 10:20 am

Shortest Runway with mainline narrow body service

I flew into EYW this weekend, and it made me wonder what the shortest runway with scheduled mainline narrow body aircraft is?

EYW is 4801 feet. DL has scheduled service with a 737 ( I believe -700) aircraft. The pilot put us on the numbers HARD and stopped the airplane fast, which made me look up the runway length.

So are there any fields with scheduled narrow body service shorter than 4801ft?

13thandseven Apr 2, 2014 10:30 am

SNA is 5,700', quite a bit busier than EYW and has much more mainline service serving affluent Orange County. Flown in there twice, flown out once. I don't remember braking any harder than normal either time we landed, but taking off we sure did get in the air quick!

UnitedFlyGuy Apr 2, 2014 10:45 am

UA landed a 727 at KCGX once. 3900 ft. Technically a mainline plane. :D

hhonors fan Apr 2, 2014 11:53 am

Shortest Runway with mainline narrow body service

The main reason you get off the ground so quick at SNA is because there are noise restrictions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but every time I have flown out of there it feels and sounds like a full power take off and then when you get to between 500-1000 feet you get a very noticeable power reduction so that the aircraft is quiet when flying over Orange County, specifically Newport Beach. I'm sure the short runway has something to do with it, but we are usually off the ground in about 3000 feet which is only halfway down the runway.

Leviticus Apr 2, 2014 11:55 am

Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy (Post 22636071)
UA landed a 727 at KCGX once. 3900 ft. Technically a mainline plane. :D

The question is, did it manage to take off again? ;)

djk7 Apr 2, 2014 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Leviticus (Post 22636487)
The question is, did it manage to take off again? ;)

According to Wikipedia, no. It was loaded on a barge on it's way to becoming a museum exhibit. However, empty at near sea level, it probably could have, it was designed to be used from smaller airports with shorter runways.

sbm12 Apr 2, 2014 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by hhonors fan (Post 22636480)
The main reason you get off the ground so quick at SNA is because there are noise restrictions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but every time I have flown out of there it feels and sounds like a full power take off and then when you get to between 500-1000 feet you get a very noticeable power reduction so that the aircraft is quiet when flying over Orange County, specifically Newport Beach. I'm sure the short runway has something to do with it, but we are usually off the ground in about 3000 feet which is only halfway down the runway.

The transcons - with lots of fuel - need more than the 3000 feet but the noise issue you've described is correct.

How are we defining mainline?

teCh0010 Apr 2, 2014 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 22636914)
The transcons - with lots of fuel - need more than the 3000 feet but the noise issue you've described is correct.

How are we defining mainline?

My definition of mainline has always been narrow body or wide body aircraft operated by the "named" airline, vs turbo prop and regional jet aircraft operated by regional carriers in the name of the main airline.

Even though in this case some of the CRJ aircraft probably need more runway to take off than a 737-700. Small wings, small engines.

The planes that are borderline are the short small tube (2+3) narrow bodies like the 717 and the short DC-9s.

guv1976 Apr 2, 2014 3:01 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by teCh0010
I flew into EYW this weekend, and it made me wonder what the shortest runway with scheduled mainline narrow body aircraft is?

EYW is 4801 feet. DL has scheduled service with a 737 ( I believe -700) aircraft. The pilot put us on the numbers HARD and stopped the airplane fast, which made me look up the runway length.

Since you did not specify that the airport has to be in the U.S., then I think this one might be the winner:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santos_Dumont_Airport

teCh0010 Apr 2, 2014 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 22637652)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Since you did not specify that the airport has to be in the U.S., then I think this one might be the winner:

I think you might be right, that is a small runway. Looking at flightaware they have a lot of 737 and A319 traffic.

mrisoli Apr 2, 2014 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by teCh0010 (Post 22637891)
I think you might be right, that is a small runway. Looking at flightaware they have a lot of 737 and A319 traffic.

Yep, I fly into SDU often and its quite a sight, the scenic approach onto Rio is great, the runway is so short its scary, to make things worse the Sugar Loaf Mountain blocks a part of the way so its not an easy approach, just after landing when the plane turns around to head for the gate you can see the ocean steps away.

Also, it operates one of the busiest routes in the world, CGH-SDU(nicknamed 'Ponte Aérea' or Air Bridge), you can get a flight in either way every 5-15 minutes.

Gol even has a 737 variant specially designed by Boeing because of this, the SFP(Short Field Performance).

CPRich Apr 2, 2014 4:08 pm

I'm pretty sure Dutch Harbor (4100) and Molokai (4494) used to have mainline service, but I believe both have been discontinued.

coachrowsey Apr 2, 2014 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by teCh0010 (Post 22635947)

Been on many Air Florida 737-200 flights into EYW back in the day;) you've got to be "on the money".

SeriouslyLost Apr 2, 2014 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 22637652)

And the important question is, how many of you know who Santos Dumont was? :D