Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Shortest Runway with mainline narrow body service

Shortest Runway with mainline narrow body service

Old Apr 2, 14, 10:20 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MEM
Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Posts: 426
Shortest Runway with mainline narrow body service

I flew into EYW this weekend, and it made me wonder what the shortest runway with scheduled mainline narrow body aircraft is?

EYW is 4801 feet. DL has scheduled service with a 737 ( I believe -700) aircraft. The pilot put us on the numbers HARD and stopped the airplane fast, which made me look up the runway length.

So are there any fields with scheduled narrow body service shorter than 4801ft?
teCh0010 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 14, 10:30 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SEA
Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
Posts: 279
SNA is 5,700', quite a bit busier than EYW and has much more mainline service serving affluent Orange County. Flown in there twice, flown out once. I don't remember braking any harder than normal either time we landed, but taking off we sure did get in the air quick!
13thandseven is offline  
Old Apr 2, 14, 10:45 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,185
UA landed a 727 at KCGX once. 3900 ft. Technically a mainline plane.
UnitedFlyGuy is offline  
Old Apr 2, 14, 11:53 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 54
Shortest Runway with mainline narrow body service

The main reason you get off the ground so quick at SNA is because there are noise restrictions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but every time I have flown out of there it feels and sounds like a full power take off and then when you get to between 500-1000 feet you get a very noticeable power reduction so that the aircraft is quiet when flying over Orange County, specifically Newport Beach. I'm sure the short runway has something to do with it, but we are usually off the ground in about 3000 feet which is only halfway down the runway.
hhonors fan is offline  
Old Apr 2, 14, 11:55 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Utah
Programs: AS, AY, DL, PP
Posts: 454
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy View Post
UA landed a 727 at KCGX once. 3900 ft. Technically a mainline plane.
The question is, did it manage to take off again?
Leviticus is offline  
Old Apr 2, 14, 12:24 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Orlando, FL, US
Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Posts: 3,614
Originally Posted by Leviticus View Post
The question is, did it manage to take off again?
According to Wikipedia, no. It was loaded on a barge on it's way to becoming a museum exhibit. However, empty at near sea level, it probably could have, it was designed to be used from smaller airports with shorter runways.
djk7 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 14, 1:01 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,204
Originally Posted by hhonors fan View Post
The main reason you get off the ground so quick at SNA is because there are noise restrictions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but every time I have flown out of there it feels and sounds like a full power take off and then when you get to between 500-1000 feet you get a very noticeable power reduction so that the aircraft is quiet when flying over Orange County, specifically Newport Beach. I'm sure the short runway has something to do with it, but we are usually off the ground in about 3000 feet which is only halfway down the runway.
The transcons - with lots of fuel - need more than the 3000 feet but the noise issue you've described is correct.

How are we defining mainline?
sbm12 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 14, 1:11 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MEM
Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Posts: 426
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
The transcons - with lots of fuel - need more than the 3000 feet but the noise issue you've described is correct.

How are we defining mainline?
My definition of mainline has always been narrow body or wide body aircraft operated by the "named" airline, vs turbo prop and regional jet aircraft operated by regional carriers in the name of the main airline.

Even though in this case some of the CRJ aircraft probably need more runway to take off than a 737-700. Small wings, small engines.

The planes that are borderline are the short small tube (2+3) narrow bodies like the 717 and the short DC-9s.
teCh0010 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 14, 3:01 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 22,064
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by teCh0010
I flew into EYW this weekend, and it made me wonder what the shortest runway with scheduled mainline narrow body aircraft is?

EYW is 4801 feet. DL has scheduled service with a 737 ( I believe -700) aircraft. The pilot put us on the numbers HARD and stopped the airplane fast, which made me look up the runway length.

So are there any fields with scheduled narrow body service shorter than 4801ft?
Since you did not specify that the airport has to be in the U.S., then I think this one might be the winner:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santos_Dumont_Airport
guv1976 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 14, 3:44 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MEM
Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Posts: 426
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)



Since you did not specify that the airport has to be in the U.S., then I think this one might be the winner:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santos_Dumont_Airport
I think you might be right, that is a small runway. Looking at flightaware they have a lot of 737 and A319 traffic.
teCh0010 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 14, 4:00 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 80
Originally Posted by teCh0010 View Post
I think you might be right, that is a small runway. Looking at flightaware they have a lot of 737 and A319 traffic.
Yep, I fly into SDU often and its quite a sight, the scenic approach onto Rio is great, the runway is so short its scary, to make things worse the Sugar Loaf Mountain blocks a part of the way so its not an easy approach, just after landing when the plane turns around to head for the gate you can see the ocean steps away.

Also, it operates one of the busiest routes in the world, CGH-SDU(nicknamed 'Ponte Aérea' or Air Bridge), you can get a flight in either way every 5-15 minutes.

Gol even has a 737 variant specially designed by Boeing because of this, the SFP(Short Field Performance).

Last edited by mrisoli; Apr 2, 14 at 4:07 pm
mrisoli is offline  
Old Apr 2, 14, 4:08 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 28,241
I'm pretty sure Dutch Harbor (4100) and Molokai (4494) used to have mainline service, but I believe both have been discontinued.
CPRich is offline  
Old Apr 2, 14, 6:09 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CLT
Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Posts: 7,251
Originally Posted by teCh0010 View Post
I flew into EYW this weekend, and it made me wonder what the shortest runway with scheduled mainline narrow body aircraft is?

EYW is 4801 feet. DL has scheduled service with a 737 ( I believe -700) aircraft. The pilot put us on the numbers HARD and stopped the airplane fast, which made me look up the runway length.

So are there any fields with scheduled narrow body service shorter than 4801ft?
Been on many Air Florida 737-200 flights into EYW back in the day you've got to be "on the money".
coachrowsey is offline  
Old Apr 2, 14, 10:26 pm
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Posts: 6,294
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Since you did not specify that the airport has to be in the U.S., then I think this one might be the winner:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santos_Dumont_Airport
And the important question is, how many of you know who Santos Dumont was?
SeriouslyLost is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: