FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   I know it was you, 17D, coughing and sneezing.... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1561805-i-know-you-17d-coughing-sneezing.html)

JamesKidd Jun 18, 2019 4:26 am

Originally Posted by NHCL (Post 31210163)
We were flying from UK to Singapore, on 17 Jun 2019 on a Qantas flight, I was seating next to my husband in the middle seat and the person seating on the other side of me was sick, it was nonstop coughing and sneezing with heavy mucus noises, not only that he was very rude and loud, it was a 13 hours flight and he wake us up with a very loud voice demanding to go to toilet, over 4-5 times my husband and I have to wake up during sleep because he was shouting “excuse me! Excuse me! I need to go to the toilet!!” When I fell of sleep I wake up because he was coughing on my face, I can feel the mucus and air coming from him, not only that he was demanding to leave his seats and people give him space while everybody is waiting for the leaving the air plane, of course after the flight I got sick and unfortunately next following days I have important meetings, I just wonder is there a rule or regulation on the plane I can do to stop someone like this to do what they were doing?it was very unpleasant and disgusting and it ruined my trip and my health, nobody deserve something like this when they travel, so rude and bad people prevail?

Why did you/your husband not offer up the aisle seat ?

Badenoch Jun 18, 2019 4:54 am

Originally Posted by akl_traveller (Post 31213602)
Not disagreeing with any of that, but surely a little cultural embarrassment is worth not making somebody else sick for days/weeks?

Because they *do* work. Just like washing hands and wiping down doorknobs.

You'd wear a bandage if you had a weeping wound; airborne mucus may be smaller but it's still present.

I'm not a germaphobe, but I spent a period of my earlier life in close proximity to many people, and we learned that cleanliness is next to godliness but god doesnt forgive a man who infects his squad/platoon....

The bandage analogy doesn't work because there is a benefit to me for wearing one to cover a weeping wound. Wearing a mask is inconvenient and uncomfortable and carries with it no benefit other than a some silly sense of altruism resulting from mollifying the over-sensitive. Your platoon comparison doesn't work either as its members are part of a group that depends on each other and needs all members reasonably fit to perform a collective function. If someone else on the flight gets sick it is of little or no immediate consequence.

Badenoch Jun 18, 2019 5:00 am

Originally Posted by DragonSoul (Post 31213811)
Yes. Of course. Hurt feewings (sic) are far worse that any illness passengers could contract.
:rolleyes:

My societal obligations to a large cabin full of complete strangers are met by not sneezing on them, using a tissue to blow my nose and washing my hands. Should someone still feel threatened they are welcome to wear a mask if they so choose but are ill-advised to demand I wear one.

akl_traveller Jun 18, 2019 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch (Post 31214095)
The bandage analogy doesn't work because there is a benefit to me for wearing one to cover a weeping wound. Wearing a mask is inconvenient and uncomfortable and carries with it no benefit other than a some silly sense of altruism resulting from mollifying the over-sensitive. Your platoon comparison doesn't work either as its members are part of a group that depends on each other and needs all members reasonably fit to perform a collective function. If someone else on the flight gets sick it is of little or no immediate consequence.

You are absolutely right and I apologise. It's absolutely absurd to consider undergoing some minor inconvenience and discomfort in order to significantly reduce the risk of illness to other human beings; the correct decision is of course the one that assigns the utility of all other human beings a value of "zero" except where they can be of direct benefit to oneself. Logically, I shall also leave taps on in bathrooms when I leave them (after all, I bear absolutely no consequence for that action) and will most certainly not say thanks to a waiter in a restaurant I won't be revisiting.

I do apologise and shall ensure that my future posting more strictly adheres to the DSM V definition of "sociopath".

Badenoch Jun 19, 2019 4:11 am

Originally Posted by akl_traveller (Post 31217365)
You are absolutely right and I apologise. It's absolutely absurd to consider undergoing some minor inconvenience and discomfort in order to significantly reduce the risk of illness to other human beings; the correct decision is of course the one that assigns the utility of all other human beings a value of "zero" except where they can be of direct benefit to oneself. Logically, I shall also leave taps on in bathrooms when I leave them (after all, I bear absolutely no consequence for that action) and will most certainly not say thanks to a waiter in a restaurant I won't be revisiting.

I do apologise and shall ensure that my future posting more strictly adheres to the DSM V definition of "sociopath".

Most public washrooms have moved to faucets that automatically turn off should people leave them on. The waiter doesn't care whether you said thank-you providing you left an adequate tip.

My degree of inconvenience extends in this circumstance to covering my mouth appropriately when I sneeze or cough, using tissues and washing my hands. Assuaging the anxiety of the overwrought has limits. Meanwhile someone who "assigned the utility of all other human beings a value of 'zero'" would simply sneeze on you without concern.

StartinSanDiego Jun 19, 2019 7:52 am

Moderator Warning: Sociopath discussions are Omni material. We'll see how the thread trends before moving it.

passionforhotels Jun 20, 2019 3:06 am

Wait, there's a special sociopath discussion area on FT???

Anyway, back on topic. I think the last few posters are violently agreeing with each other. Nobody is suggesting that covering your mouth when sneezing/coughing and washing hands frequently for the good of other peoples' health is a bad thing. In fact, most posters are saying the opposite. Where the discussion splits is whether an ill person should be made to wear a mask - which has minimal effect in preventing the spread of germs but makes others feel better - when it's uncomfortable and not the done thing for every culture.

purch Jun 20, 2019 9:34 am

I'm with Badenoch on this one. We don't expect sick people to wear masks on any other public place, so why should we expect it on an aeroplane?

ou81two Jun 20, 2019 11:55 am

Originally Posted by ANC (Post 22554054)
while I feel your plight, most of the passengers ont the flight arent at liberty to cancel or postpone flights without paying tons of extra money and or losing vacation time. Sure if we get sick we can cancel or change flights and plans without much in the way of cost but most people cant so you fly anyhow. Ive been there done that before even though I could change for free but my butt had to be somewhere or else. Thats just how its going to be so long as airlines want to charge astronomical amounts of money to change flights. Airlines are really to blame and not the customers

True but medication to stop you from sneezing is cheap and readily available.

DragonSoul Jun 20, 2019 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by purch (Post 31222392)
I'm with Badenoch on this one. We don't expect sick people to wear masks on any other public place, so why should we expect it on an aeroplane?

Not even in a hospital? That's... nasty.

HMPS Jun 20, 2019 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by passionforhotels (Post 31221488)
Wait, there's a special sociopath discussion area on FT???

Anyway, back on topic. I think the last few posters are violently agreeing with each other. Nobody is suggesting that covering your mouth when sneezing/coughing and washing hands frequently for the good of other peoples' health is a bad thing. In fact, most posters are saying the opposite. Where the discussion splits is whether an ill person should be made to wear a mask - which has minimal effect in preventing the spread of germs but makes others feel better - when it's uncomfortable and not the done thing for every culture.

Originally Posted by purch (Post 31222392)

Every time I have gone to a hospital or a clinic, there is a free supply of masks and gloves right at the entrance requesting you use them if you have cough, cold, or other respiratory problems. Seen it on some patient doors too.
Is it just to lull us, pacify the lawyers or what ?

Note to self

Pick up a few masks , put it in carry ons. One for me. one for the "cougher".

jrl767 Jun 20, 2019 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS (Post 31224381)
Note to self ... Pick up a few masks , put it in carry ons. One for me. one for the "cougher".

:rolleyes:
yah, good luck making the “cougher” don said mask (or persuading him/her to do so) more than maybe one in ten times

DragonSoul Jun 20, 2019 9:44 pm

Doesn't anyone learn from disaster movies?

:D:p

purch Jun 20, 2019 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by DragonSoul (Post 31224225)
Not even in a hospital? That's... nasty.

Originally Posted by HMPS (Post 31224381)
Every time I have gone to a hospital or a clinic, there is a free supply of masks and gloves right at the entrance requesting you use them if you have cough, cold, or other respiratory problems. Seen it on some patient doors too.
Is it just to lull us, pacify the lawyers or what ?

Note to self

Pick up a few masks , put it in carry ons. One for me. one for the "cougher".

Way to nit-pick the argument by using an obvious exception. Actually it kind of proves my point - hospitals are maybe the one place where we DO EXPECT sick people to wear a mask. Or at least the hospital does, if they feel so strongly about it that they put free masks and signage at the hospital entrance.

But otherwise, no, we don't expect sick people to wear masks in other forms of public transport, shops, parks etc. We expect sick people not to come to work, but usually people do anyway and I've never even heard anyone make the argument that they should wear a mask.

I'll admit, I hate it when anyone even sneezes near me as I am usually quite susceptible to colds, and I wish the person would go 1000 miles away from where I am. I've also been near sick people on a plane and it's torture. But still I can't say I expect more of them than to try use tissues, wash hands, cough away from people, etc. Being around sick people from time to time is unfortunately something we just have to live with.

DragonSoul Jun 21, 2019 1:20 am

Originally Posted by purch (Post 31224660)
Way to nit-pick the argument by using an obvious exception. Actually it kind of proves my point - hospitals are maybe the one place where we DO EXPECT sick people to wear a mask. Or at least the hospital does, if they feel so strongly about it that they put free masks and signage at the hospital entrance.

But otherwise, no, we don't expect sick people to wear masks in other forms of public transport, shops, parks etc. We expect sick people not to come to work, but usually people do anyway and I've never even heard anyone make the argument that they should wear a mask.

I'll admit, I hate it when anyone even sneezes near me as I am usually quite susceptible to colds, and I wish the person would go 1000 miles away from where I am. I've also been near sick people on a plane and it's torture. But still I can't say I expect more of them than to try use tissues, wash hands, cough away from people, etc. Being around sick people from time to time is unfortunately something we just have to live with.

SARS was the turning point for wearing masks in Hong Kong. Previously, it was one of those things that the Japanese did out of consideration for others. During SARS people here were wearing them although they weren't sick. It was protective. That trend continues 16 years on, but again for protection.

So mask-wearing can be considerate or protective. If you* don't care about others, you* won't wear one. And if you* don't care about yourself, you* won't wear one.

* Figurative 'you'.