Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I know it was you, 17D, coughing and sneezing....

Old Mar 19, 14, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz GPC,

Dear 17D who travelled AS507 last Wednesday from SNA>SEA, the one guy on the plane who was sweating, shivering, coughing everywhere, hacking a lung, sneezing into your hands and touching everything around you and dripping snot everywhere. Yes you, I know it was you! I was seated next to you and wanted to thank you for giving me whatever it was you had, because Friday-Tues were a real treat. I especially loved sleeping in my home-office, so I wouldn’t get my 4 month old sick. The best part was waking up each morning in a puddle of sweat and wearing 5 layers of clothes during the day and still feeling cold.

I travel every week and feel very fortunate for my health. If I’m sick, I don’t travel…but that’s ridiculously responsible right? Aside from being sick 17D, you looked extremely unhealthy anyway and if it were up to me, I would’ve required you to buy an extra seat and I'd call you 17D/E. The next time you travel sick 17D, think about others and how it might impact them.

Oh and to the amazing Alaska FA who kept asking 17D to cover his mouth, thanks for your efforts
Old Mar 19, 14, 5:45 pm

Programs: MVPG
The attendants should have masks to hand out for the ill person to wear and sneeze/cough into; It's what would be done for a patient in the hospital being transported around. I've taken on occasion to wearing a mask as many Asian passengers do, for my own protection. Unfortunately the only responsible party you can force to take precautions is oneself (my wife has to regret it every time she comes back from Asia because she declines to wear a mask on the plane, train, bus or subway).
Old Mar 19, 14, 5:46 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
lol. It happens to all of us. Sorry to hear about your illness, but I would imagine 17D was just as uncomfortable as you.
Old Mar 19, 14, 5:47 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
while I feel your plight, most of the passengers ont the flight arent at liberty to cancel or postpone flights without paying tons of extra money and or losing vacation time. Sure if we get sick we can cancel or change flights and plans without much in the way of cost but most people cant so you fly anyhow. Ive been there done that before even though I could change for free but my butt had to be somewhere or else. Thats just how its going to be so long as airlines want to charge astronomical amounts of money to change flights. Airlines are really to blame and not the customers
Old Mar 19, 14, 5:59 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
The way I read the OP's post, I got the impression his/her main beef was the lack of consideration that the occupant of 17D was exhibiting to his fellow passengers. It sounded like he made no effort to cover up, blow his nose, not use hand sanitizer, etc. ANC made some very valid points about the economics of changing plans. Those comprise a separate, but related, issue.

If I'm sick and still have to travel, I will load up on Kleenex, hand sanitizer, whatever, to shield fellow pax as much as possible from my germs. It's just basic consideration and it's not that expensive.
squeakr, HMPS and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Mar 19, 14, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz GPC,
All great points, thanks for the support! I'm adding one to my travel bag
Old Mar 19, 14, 6:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Does this mean you were in 17E? Yikes, I honestly can't remember the last time I had to take a middle seat....I get claustrophobic just thinking about it...
Old Mar 19, 14, 8:56 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Reminds me of the old Seat 29E letter.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/sea...really-stinks/
Old Mar 19, 14, 9:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by slopeboy40 View Post
Reminds me of the old Seat 29E letter.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/sea...really-stinks/
That is a classic. Haven't read that for awhile. It never fails to make me laugh out loud, especially the illustrations.
Old Mar 19, 14, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jay K View Post
The attendants should have masks to hand out for the ill person to wear and sneeze/cough into; It's what would be done for a patient in the hospital being transported around. I've taken on occasion to wearing a mask as many Asian passengers do, for my own protection. Unfortunately the only responsible party you can force to take precautions is oneself (my wife has to regret it every time she comes back from Asia because she declines to wear a mask on the plane, train, bus or subway).
In actuality, as a HCP I have been advised by TB control to wear a mask any time I am in a situation where a fellow passenger is within 3 rows in any direction of me who is coughing. TB is actively spread on a plane within this radius.
Old Mar 19, 14, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
I really don't understand why cold masks haven't caught on in the US. It is really the only responsible thing to do when you are sick and would otherwise be sneezing/coughing onto your nearest neighbors.
Old Mar 19, 14, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by prmetime View Post
In actuality, as a HCP I have been advised by TB control to wear a mask any time I am in a situation where a fellow passenger is within 3 rows in any direction of me who is coughing. TB is actively spread on a plane within this radius.
Maybe I should see if I can buy one. Every since catching a cold from a pax in 2009, I now carry paper masks for me and the cougher. Only had to use it once. The other person wasn't coughing too much so I didn't give them a mask.

If I did, they might have refused like the nasty lady who refused to lift her window shades part way during landing and takeoff for safety reasons even after she was informed that the only reason for the request was because of safety (in view of a British crash where people died because they couldn't see that one side was on fire)
Old Mar 20, 14, 3:58 am
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
I had to fly BOM-EWR-IAH while sick (two illnesses at once--a nasty GI bug and what a doctor friend ended up diagnosing as pertussis; odd, as I'd had my Tdap only 2 years before).

I did make every effort to cover my mouth or cough in my elbow or at least not at other people in my row, but there's only so much you could do. And yes, I also ended up using my airsickness bag.

Don't like it? Then tell UA they should have waived the change fee. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to pay a $300 change fee plus a $1,500 fare differential just to spare you all some germs. I'm a nice guy, but that's not fair to expect of me to pay.

A little common sense in the airline industry when it comes to these types of situations would go a long way.

That said:

[mod hat on]

This really isn't a topic specific to Alaska Airlines, so I'll move it to the general-interest travel forum, aka TravelBuzz. Please continue to follow it there.

jackal
Moderator, Alaska Airlines forum
Old Mar 20, 14, 6:56 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
Don't like it? Then tell UA they should have waived the change fee. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to pay a $300 change fee plus a $1,500 fare differential just to spare you all some germs. I'm a nice guy, but that's not fair to expect of me to pay.

A little common sense in the airline industry when it comes to these types of situations would go a long way.
Interesting perspective. It helps to look at both sides.

I can see why airlines would not want to open themselves up for abuse. (There would be a lot of "I'm sick & need to change my ticket" calls)
Old Mar 20, 14, 7:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm not going to pay a $300 change fee plus a $1,500 fare differential just to spare you all some germs.
Damn right. The hand-sanitizer freaks need to comprehend that travelling in public carries with it certain risks. So does going to the mall, eating in a restaurant, seeing a movie or any one of a dozen other activities that bring you in close contact with other people.

You can wear a mask if you are that afraid of what flies in the air. Do not attempt to force me to wear one. That won't end well. Achooooo!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: