FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Silly amenity kit question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1498050-silly-amenity-kit-question.html)

Sulley Aug 28, 2013 12:08 am

Silly amenity kit question

I've had to cross the pond several times in the past few months and I have been lucky to have been seated in Global First each time. After all of these flights, I am now the proud owner of six Global First amenity kits.

Here's a silly question - what do you all do with them? Do you keep them, give them as gifts, politely decline when offered one after boarding? I'd love to hear suggestions...

FriendlySkies Aug 28, 2013 12:14 am

Depending on the airline, I'll save them. For others, I use the kits for the various cords that I bring along on a trip. They definitely help keep a bag organized on an extended trip.

jozdemir Aug 28, 2013 12:16 am

Yep if it's an airline/class I'm not sure I'll fly again I'll definitely keep the kit; some of them I've still got wrapped in plastic and unused.

Otherwise I just give them away as gifts or take the useless stuff out of it and use it as an actual travel bathroom pack.

PursuedAdventures Aug 28, 2013 12:32 am

Silly amenity kit question

They're like Pokemon cards! You gotta collect them all! Lol. JK. I have a whole stash of them also. I end up giving them to friends who would appreciate them, sell them on eBay or give them away on my travel blog. Make sure to keep one of each airline for your personal collection.

JY1024 Aug 28, 2013 1:10 am

Some also donate extra amenity kits, hotel toiletries, etc. to various organisations such as homeless shelters or charities serving disadvantaged segments.

Here are some ideas from the FlyerTalk Cares forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyer...youth-hiv.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyer...r-travels.html

InTokyo Aug 28, 2013 1:20 am

I keep mine. You'll find dozens of uses for the bags.

Pencil case
Overnight toiletry bag
Camera case
Foreign currency purse
Cords

I try and use up all the items too before they get stale. You can use the face/eye lotions on your hands if you already have a designated favorite. Mouthwash is nice to keep at work.

Toothbrushes are handy for unexpected overnight guests so you don't have to waste a "new" one.

Annalisa12 Aug 28, 2013 1:47 am

Depends what is in them. If there is a hand or skin cream that's a brand I like I keep that product and the other stuff just rolls around in a drawer until I throw them out. Some I give to friends. I also sell some on ebay. Some follks happily pay $20 or more to pretend they received it on a flight!! I have sold other travel items on ebay, like first class luggage tags, priority boarding tags/passes and they just get snapped up. I do like to keep 1 new or unopened bag from each airline.

goalie Aug 28, 2013 1:49 am

I keep the kit itself but I collect the socks, combs, toothpaste, toothbrushes, kleenex & lip balm and then give them to my Temple where they then donate them to homeless shelters

Redhead Aug 28, 2013 7:01 am

I open them up (this goes for all the soaps, shampoos, etc. I get from hotels) and:

- Chapstick goes in my stash. I use it all the time and like having lots in the house
- Toothbrushes go in the guest bathroom in case someone forgets one
- A few shampoos, soaps, and conditioners do the same thing
- Socks go in a bag for the local homeless shelter - as do extra soaps, shampoos, conditioners, toothbrushes. etc once my guest bath is stocked
- actual bags also go to homeless shelter (unless I need one as a replacement for a cord bag)
- Pens either go in my desk or get left around the world

Badenoch Aug 28, 2013 7:47 am

SAA amenity cases come with a little pouch that is excellent for computer cords, adapters and other bits and pieces.

Rampo Aug 28, 2013 11:03 am

Lots of them wind up on eBay.

piper28 Aug 28, 2013 2:05 pm

My wife's using a couple of the bags for cord/radar detector pouches for the car. She's found that the cords she needs fit pretty well in it.

SANspotter Aug 28, 2013 2:42 pm

I guess I've never understood the fascination with these things. I usually just leave them on the plane.

JY1024 Aug 28, 2013 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 21348512)
Depending on the airline, I'll save them. For others, I use the kits for the various cords that I bring along on a trip. They definitely help keep a bag organized on an extended trip.

Originally Posted by InTokyo (Post 21348667)
I keep mine. You'll find dozens of uses for the bags.

Cords

Originally Posted by Badenoch (Post 21349863)
SAA amenity cases come with a little pouch that is excellent for computer cords, adapters and other bits and pieces.

Originally Posted by piper28 (Post 21352166)
My wife's using a couple of the bags for cord/radar detector pouches for the car. She's found that the cords she needs fit pretty well in it.

Seems like "cords" is a popular answer!

I've never used them for that, but may try it out for my next trip. :)

goodndntwin Aug 28, 2013 9:12 pm

I'm OCD so I use them to organize my lingerie and socks when I pack. That way if I have to open by bag in transit people don't have to see all my unmentionables.