Reload this Page >

Faking disability to board early

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Faking disability to board early

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 7:49 pm

According to this article, you can "rent" a disabled person for a day at Disney to jump the lines.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...ZRkIVc1zItXGDP

The moral compass in this world is sadly shifting the wrong way.
Old May 22, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
UA treats people like crap in the boarding process. If I weren't 1K anyway, I'd probably fake a disability too when I have a need to board early. They set themselves up for it to some extent by treating people like cattle. Last time I flew I was standing there and there was a family of five who had missed their international connection due to UA indifference and then they were rebooked on a subsequent flight with seats scattered all over (and they had small children). And they just wanted to get on early so they could try to find people to switch with them and the gate agent was like, "Get lost." If it were me, I would have suddenly become disabled and if they challenged me threatened a lawsuit.
Mirror, Mirror, on the Wall....
Old May 22, 2013, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 747FC
Mirror, Mirror, on the Wall....
Huh? I'm not the one who caused them to miss their flight or gave them no help in getting their family, including small children, together on the next flight.
Old May 22, 2013, 9:08 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Incorrect Thread Name!!!

Your Thread SHOULD have been titled...

"Why Is It SO Easy Hate People"???
Old May 23, 2013, 1:17 am

My mom just broke her leg a few weeks ago and by the time we fly again in just over 3 weeks she will just be out of her cast. So in order to get her over long distances in the airport and not make her over do it she will be in a wheel chair just to be on the safe side but she will be able to walk the short why down the jet way and with in the plane. Would you also deem that as "faking" it?
Old May 23, 2013, 3:27 am

This is very tame. At least he was gracious enough to fake the limp. I've had to deal with passengers who requested wheelchairs just to hold their Duty Free shopping while they walked alongside.
Old May 23, 2013, 4:25 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
As a small business owner, with one Disabled parking spot on our small lot, I always wonder what to do when I see someone hop out of the car having just parked in the spot. They usually have a blue badge, but they certainly don't look or behave disabled - and the reason that the spot is the prime spot is to allow people who struggle to move around to be closer.

At the end of the day, I bite my lip and make sure that the check doesn't bounce. Getting involved or saying something is somewhere near 99% downside for me. But it still grates.
How do you know they aren't disabled? Not all disabilities are visible.
Old May 23, 2013, 4:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I had boarded as disabled a couple times with a wrist problem where I could not really rotate my right wrist (I have even told the screener when they pat me down and asked to stand with palm up -- that won't happen buddy, you need to live with my right palm down) so putting my carry-on to the overhead bin was more than a bit tricky with only a left hand and a right arm so I decided I fall into the "needs more time" category. Sometimes I was wearing a removable wrist cast sometimes not because it was bloody uncomfortable so what you would've seen is a middle age guy taking out a wrist cast, putting it on and boards as disabled... Of course this doesn't mean some people won't fake it -- but don't be so sure.

Last edited by chx1975; May 23, 2013 at 4:44 am
Old May 23, 2013, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by MissEllie
THANK YOU! ^

Just what I was going to say, but you beat me to it.

I have a close friend who is disabled but doesn't look it... who can sit, and stand, and walk short distances looking perfectly normal. When she travels she needs a wheelchair to get to the gate, and she needs to board ahead of others because she can't stand for long. She is regularly being accused of faking it - "you can stand, you can walk, nothing wrong with you".

So - please don't judge people by appearance. There are disabilities that are invisible.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It's too bad that Fake Disability Guy couldn't have been seated next to Fake Service Dog Guy. Those two deserve each other... @:-)
Old May 23, 2013, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
It is true that some people need wheelchairs for long periods, when they can stand or walk for short periods and I try to remember that.

OTOH, there are the 'miracle' destinations known to some airlines - where on boarding, large numbers of passengers require wheelchairs. On arrival, when they would be last off the plane and needing to wait for those wheelchairs to arrive, miraculously, they are able to stand, disembark and walk off without them. Hence they have been miraculously cured of what ailed them on boarding...
Old May 23, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Wow, this thread has reminded me of my 55-year old aunt. She is in great health and walks for miles every day to workout.

However, when it is time for international travel, she always requests a wheelchair so that she can skip the lines and not have to deal with crowds. It's absolutely disgusting and shameful. It never ceases to shock me when my family goes to pick her up from LAX and we see her being wheeled out of customs in a wheelchair by a nice gentleman who probably has better things to do than deal with this bs.

This sort of behavior takes away resources from the people who really need it: disabled people and seniors. It's unbelievable the lengths some people will go to so that they get undeserved special treatment.
Old May 23, 2013, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by MissEllie
Yeah, this is the tricky bit. My wife is permanently physically disabled and in a wheelchair now (so this is a sticky point for us ) BUT prior to needing the wheelchair, she still had serious stability and endurance issues requiring the use of a handicap space. To the untrained eye, she appeared "fine" (although one might notice she walked slowly and unsteadily, and later on she did need a cane before ultimately needing the wheelchair)

So we sympathize with people with "hidden" disabilities. BUT, at the same time, we find it incredibly annoying to go out and find no available spaces but see people virtually running to their "handicap access" car, or people parking in the zebra stripes between spaces (especially the one with the "What Would Jesus Do?" bumper sticker -- THAT was a sight to behold), or getting early boarding but then running off after we land. I don't believe in hell, but if I did I would hope there's a special place for fakers.
Old May 23, 2013, 1:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Just last week WCBS ran a story about the huge increase in wheelchair requests at the New York Area airports

Airline passengers are often frustrated by the long wait to get through security. However, people seem to be finding a way around it by using a wheelchair, even if they are not disabled.

As CBS 2′s Emily Smith reported on Monday, there has been an uptick in the use of wheelchairs in airports in the Tri-State Area and nationally.

“We’ve handled maybe 100 wheelchairs a year. Now there are some times where we can handle 100 wheelchairs in a day,” Westchester County Airport Manager Peter Scherrer told Smith.

They go on to point out that while more disabled people are traveling, the increase is still above that

The increase is partly because more people with disabilities are traveling, but disability advocates are blowing the whistle on able-bodied passengers who they contend are playing the system to save time or board the plane sooner.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/05/...chair-abusers/
Old May 23, 2013, 1:36 pm

According to DL I am disabled considering I have sleep apnea
and allergies. LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.