Tell us your unusual connection airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tell us your unusual connection airports

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:05 pm

Revenue ticket:
HAN (ICN-HAN-SIN). Granted, it is a hub for Vietnam airlines, but I was clearly the only connecting passenger. They had a sign saying "connections" where I politely waited for someone to come and get me and take me through various small passages back to the empty departure area where I spent a few hours watching TV with the cleaning staff.

Award tickets, although in most cases the intention was to leave the airport for a few hours :
OKA, originally HND-OKA-GUM, but due to a flight cancellation it became HND-OKA-FUK-GUM

KTM (BKK-KTM-DOH). It took the immigration officer a while to discuss the matter with his colleagues, but eventually they issued me a $5 transit visa.

YMM (YYZ-YMM-YVR).

SPN (GUM-SPN-ICN). I believe there is a thread about that particular connection somewhere.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:27 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
All UA...

LAS-PSP-LAX
DEN-EUG-PDX and PDX-EUG-SFO (love the seafood chowder at EUG!)
SFO-ASE-DEN
LAX-SBA-SJC/SFO
LAX-IPL-YUM
ORD-FSD-DEN

WP:

ITO-MKK-OGG

And a DL/AS one:

GTF-MSO-SEA

And a CO one from a long time ago:

MAF-AMA-DIA
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:45 am

None come to mind for myself, except immediate turnarounds? But those aren't connections...

Originally Posted by kebosabi
MIA-CLT-ORD
One of the weirder flights I've taken as part of another weird itinerary. IIRC it was LAX-MIA-JAX on the inbound, one-way car rental from Jacksonville to Tallahassee, and the outbound was TLH-MIA-CLT-ORD-SAN-LAX
Get used to it soon...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
DFW-FSM-FAY.

To be fair, it was really a stop, not a connection. And it was the 80s.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: KLM Gold Elite (You can guess how long ago I lost this status!), LH Senator
Not so much an unusual connection airport just what felt like a bizarre routing.

AMS - YVR - SEA

I think the immigration, customs and then American immigration and customs took longer than it would to drive from YVR to SEA however, the fare difference was huge and made it worth it!!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
MUC is my usual connecting hub.
Nothing odd.
Unless you think at my last destinations:

NAP-MUC-LCA
NAP-MUC-MLA
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:30 pm
Suspended

There are a bunch of flights that stop in smaller cities on flights between IAH and EWR. US domestic interlining is now rare. Before, someone may have flown from MCI to DEN on BN then connect with another airline.

AS has a SEA SAT flight. Maybe take that and connect to a flight to Mexico?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
UA used to have some pretty liberal routing rules, making it easy to add spoke segments served by both hubs, so I flew itineraries like ORD-DSM-DEN, IAD-DTW-ORD, and SFO-LAS-IAD. It seems harder to do that these days (though why anyone would want to is a different question).
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by mecabq
UA used to have some pretty liberal routing rules, making it easy to add spoke segments served by both hubs, so I flew itineraries like ORD-DSM-DEN, IAD-DTW-ORD, and SFO-LAS-IAD. It seems harder to do that these days (though why anyone would want to is a different question).
Indeed. When I flew DEN-EGE-EWR I had to explicitly SDC to that. It is an invalid route for the reservation, and I had booked nonstop DEN-EWR. Then when I went to check in I was offered alternate flights, and one was DEN-EGE-EWR (along with DEN-MSP-EWR and a bunch of other routes that violate routing rules at the time of reservation but are okay for SDC). I did the EGE route just for the experience of flying into that unique airport.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:21 pm

Connecting at sydney airport

I wonder what would happen if your connecting flight in Sydney gets cancelled and the next available flight would be after 8 hours. Will the immigration ask you to get a transit visa even if your nationality is not allowed to be issued the same? I heard that SYD is one of the strictest airport to make as transit.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Buon Ma Thuot, Vietnam. HAN-BMV-SGN.

In the US, I've connected in ABE and ROC on UA which I guess are kinda odd.

Chris
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
YVR -> LAX -> FAT -> LAS

The gate agent at FAT was very puzzled when I presented him a UA BP printed on AC card stock.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:43 pm

united.com once offered me Sydney - Los Angeles - San Luis Obispo - San Francisco - Beijing...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
united.com once offered me Sydney - Los Angeles - San Luis Obispo - San Francisco - Beijing...
And what did it price at? that's not bad actually if you don't connect...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
And what did it price at? that's not bad actually if you don't connect...
Close to $10K...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.