Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Hey, we're in a hotel - let's make NOISE!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Every weekend, same thing. A wild party, any and all hours of the night. People treat hotels like some public space where they can do whatever they want and don't care one iota about the people sleeping. By the time you lie there and wait for it to stop and then call security who always has to come twice before the idiots stop, you're wide awake. It's the weekend and the only time you can sleep.

I'm here for business, no good hotel options to move to. This is a 'business hotel' and the rowdy nutters are adults.

I was exhausted before the weekend. I'm now beyond exhausted. It's the middle of the night and no sleep. I can't take this any more.

Thank you HILTON!

Suggestions?

Oh, HERE THEY ARE AGAIN!

CAn I call 911?????
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:11 am

1) Call the front desk and tell them to have someone come up and shut the party down.

2) Have them move you to another floor or at least far away from the noise makers.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:19 am
Original Poster

I called. By the time the noise is over I'm WIDE AWAKE.

And it's the same every weekend.

I'm in the 'quietest' room.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:21 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
When I'm traveling for work or really need some rest during my leisure travels I ask at check in to note to please keep me away from families with children or groups of people on holiday.
Mostly staff understand this and have been quite accommodating. I can only remember one such instance where things didn't work out as planned and that was because the occupant next to me was having an affair with a rather aggressive woman.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:30 am
Original Poster

When I spoke to the manager about this last week she said they try to keep parties away from my floor.

Obviously not.

What else can one do?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by littlesheep
When I spoke to the manager about this last week she said they try to keep parties away from my floor.

Obviously not.

What else can one do?
It doesn't make sense to me for the front desk manager to say that they'll try to keep parties away from your floor. How do they know which guests are planning to throw loud parties?

Try moving the complaint up the food chain. Don't know Hilton's management hierarchy, but there must be someone higher up than the front-desk-manager-on-duty that you can contact. Maybe speak to the GM?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Ask for your money back. The hotel didn't provide you with what you contracted for, a reasonable place to sleep. They didn't fix the problem when made aware of it.

Then send complaints up the food chain to lots of people in Hilton management since it has been an ongoing problem.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 2:43 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by littlesheep

CAn I call 911?????
You certainly can't call 911, but I would think that threatening to call the (non-emergency) police number might help. Just call the front desk and tell them what the problem is, and say "can you send someone to handle it, or should I call the police?" That will get them to take it seriously.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:14 am

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
In many places things like this would fall under "disturbing the peace" and may also involve liquor and/or drug violations depending on the type of "wild" party but 911 is not the way to involve the police. 911 (or whatever local emergency number) is for EMERGENCIES ONLY and, although you might disagree when you been woken up at zero-dark-thirty for the umteenth time, your lack of sleep or a minor distubing the peace call is NOT a police emergency.

As someone else said, ask to speak to the GM. If you're told he's not on duty tell the hotel that they (the hotel) aren't allowing you to get any sleep so why can the GM? Also threaten to involve the police. Hotels do NOT like that sort of attention and can often face fines, licensing issues, etc for repeated problems.

Not that I recommend this, but a coworker will often loudly knock on the offending party's door at 0600 as he's leaving and politely ask them how their party was, if they have a hangover, and if they were sleeping well until he woke them up.

Last edited by medic51vrf; Jul 15, 2012 at 9:35 am
Old Jul 15, 2012, 6:15 am

Programs: DL GE
Any Hilton Family hotel I have had this happen in (most recently, an embassy suites) was MORE then happy to take care of the problem.

It seems two families decided to get two rooms, one for the 12 kids on my floor and one for the adults on another floor. Fifteen minutes after I called (due to the straight up screaming, around 9am) it was done. ^
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how fast do you want the front desk to move? the buzz words are "police, drugs, teenage kids"
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Do you want an answer for the past or future?

Past - complain, get some points.

Future - are you working on the weekends and stuck there?

If so, go have a talk to the manager, explain and ask for help in creating a quiet zone around you.

If you're not working on the weekend, figure out an excursion somewhere and find a B&B or some other type of lodgings where one would expect tranquility.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:42 am
Original Poster

I thought of the waking them up tactic but it was a whole bunch of people - lots of rooms, so I wouldn't know which.

I spoke now to the receptionist and she said I could absolutely call 911. I think the advice in this thread is better in that regard and thanks for saying that bit. I'm a doctor and have good relationships with the Police (even though I don't know them, I mean good whenever I interact with them in work related situations) and certainly wouldn't abuse 911.

This was a many-room adult party. Not young adult either. I didn't go out but could hear it from their voices.

As for money, I'm not paying for this, but the people who are paying are inept and couldn't care less, so it's up to me to solve this. And I don't really think I can (I'd move but nowhere to).

I guess I could call higher ups but if they offer me points for a night I don't really need that (already have about 100 nights x roughly 1.5 or whatever that promotion was).

Last edited by littlesheep; Jul 15, 2012 at 7:51 am
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by slawecki
how fast do you want the front desk to move? the buzz words are "police, drugs, teenage kids"
Don't forget alcohol = underage drinking.

One incident where the hotel could not call the police:
We booked into DFW Westin Galleria due to need of family to be at same hotel Jan 09. The relative that did the booking did not check that they were hosting the North Texas Police ball. There were noisy parties all over at every floor and every section. After two hours of taking turns calling the front desk we gave up.

We got points for our two days stay refunded or not charged for the stay.

Last edited by tentseller; Jul 15, 2012 at 7:56 am
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JMN57
If you're not working on the weekend, figure out an excursion somewhere and find a B&B or some other type of lodgings where one would expect tranquility.
B&B not feasible now, I won't go into why (too many identifying details) but that would be a good idea.

I do usually go out all day on days off and enjoy myself outdoors. Just too tired now, that's what's frustrating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.