Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Private Pilot license?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: QF Silver
Originally Posted by sunnyjl
BTW, question...a neighbor of ours who is a commercial pilot has asked my son to fly with him for fun on weekends (he has a plane and is always looking for someone to drag along apparently)...does this equate to logged hours? I would assume so.
As jsmeeker said it does not count as logable hours unless your neighbor is a CFI, however after your son receives his license and is qualified to fly in the type and category plane your neighbor is flying they can share pilot-in-command hours for the flight. I fly a lot as safety pilot for friends looking to update their instrument currency & we both log PIC time for under the hood time.

Just a few random thoughts about primary instruction & selecting a flight school.

1. Like others have mentioned you need an instructor you feel comfortable with. I took single flights with several CFIs until I found one which was outstanding -- think of it like you're interviewing a prospective employee. A friend of mine said when he started flying his CFI would pinch his leg if he forgot to apply carb heat in the pattern and say it's part of the landing procedures without explaining why -- not my cup of tea.

2. Try to find out what your instructors goals are. Most are building hours to jump to an airline. I'd ask if they're planning to apply to one of the regionals soon. If so they've got a lot on their plate & may leave at any time. Also make sure your CFI is instrument current -- that way you don't always have to cancel a lesson due to weather. If it's marginal out & scud rolls in he/she can get you home.

3. If you intend to pursue a career in aviation go for the Part 141 training. If you're doing it for fun still go to a Part 141 school but follow Part 61 -- you'll still get the full, safe program instruction but without all the paperwork.

4. I'd recommend taking training at the busiest airport you can (Class C or D airspace with commercial & general aviation traffic). Yes it will take longer to get your license but you'll get real world experience with ATC, airport operations, wake turbulence avoidance, etc. It's like learning to drive on your grandparents' farm vs. the L.A. freeways, you'll wind up with the same license but have different skills. I lived closer to a smaller airport but chose to learn at SNA and am equally comfortable landing on a grass strip or an international airport. Some pilot friends who studied at small airports refuse to come in to SNA because they're afraid of making a mistake communicating or playing well with the big aircraft.

5. As everyone has said, fly often, at least twice a week to maintain proficiency while training.

6. This is controversial, but I'm in the camp that believes it's wise to take some spin training when you start. You'll probably have to find some other flight school that offers aerobatics. When I started I hated doing stalls and my first wing drop truly sucked. I went for one aerobatic session doing 1 & 3 turn spins which scared the bejeezus out of me, but when I went back to normal stalls it felt like a pussycat -- no more 'kung-fu death grip' on the yoke and it was actually kinda fun.

7. Get an aircraft radio & go to the airport on really nasty crosswind days. May not help you much but watching and listening to ATC can sure be entertaining. After you've gone through some training try to get some pattern work in when they're running reverse pattern doesn't sound difficult but it's like driving on the wrong side of the road -- legally.

Just my 2c - am sure others may disagree but that's what we love about FT.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 3:41 pm

Zarf4 has taken the time to give you some really good advice.
I especially second the advice regarding using a busy airport and taking a "couple" hours in a "acrobatic" category A/C, I had the same experience.
I would only add, while checking out the 141 school ask them about their insurance, you could even present a senario like what am I liable for if I clip a taxi light and do some damage to the A/C and the light. I'm sure they would be glad to tell you. Then if you're still checking out 61 guys, ask them the same question.
Good post Zarf4
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:54 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by wayfarinstranger
while checking out the 141 school ask them about their insurance, you could even present a senario like what am I liable for if I clip a taxi light and do some damage to the A/C and the light.
The flight school's insurance covers the flight school, not you. Renter's insurance covers you and is relatively inexpensive.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:49 pm

any recommendations on flight schools in Miami or Fort Lauderdale area?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:27 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Maybe advice from someone who never finished is not as useful, but .... Many years ago (close to 50 years now), I took lessons in an old Cessna 150 from a CFI who was as grumpy as a person can be. I never did anything right. He would tell me to bank on a farmhouse, then tell me it was the wrong farmhouse. Hours became more hours. He kept my logbook even when I asked to hold onto it. Suddenly one day, I appeared at the airfield (BTW, it was an uncontrolled field in those days) to not be able to find him. All my hours disappeared because he took my log. I never went on to more lessons. The advice here: find an honest CFI who cares about helping you get the ticket.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:39 am

Adding onto that point: your logbook is as good as everything you've done so far. Either keep a hold of it or be absolutely sure you know where it is, exactly who has it and where to find them if something goes wrong.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: None
Flight School Choices

My son and I are both considering going after private pilot certification.
Right off I see a problem with the proverbial coyote guarding the chickens.
I recently read that it takes an average of 65 hours to complete training... note only 40 are required.
That of course is dependent on skills but more importantly the instructors potentially biased opinion on the student’s competency.
Having set that up, here is my question...
Assuming the student does everything to perfection, but the instructor demands more time... to dig deeper into the student’s wallet. What if anything can be done? How does one avoid an unethical instructor?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:16 am

1) if you go in assuming everything will be done to perfection, you're already off to a bad start
2) check out many reviews and people's experiences with flight schools/FBOs
3) be familiar with the ACS (airman certification standards), these are the standards that you will need to meet - then, it's a matter of meeting these to the standard required
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JP337
Assuming the student does everything to perfection, but the instructor demands more time... to dig deeper into the student’s wallet. What if anything can be done? How does one avoid an unethical instructor?
If you are actually ready to pass the exam with flying colors, then I'd be surprised if an instructor dragged things out. A far more common problem is students thinking that they're flying better than they are. Keep in mind that among pilots, the PPL is seen as a "license to learn" - while a 40 hour pilot may be able to fly safely, it's unlikely that their flying will be "to perfection."

To answer your question though, if you are ready for the checkride and your instructor isn't willing to sign you off, go to a different one and ask them to sign you off instead. If your flying is really that amazing, your new instructor should be willing to sign you off after a mock checkride or two (2-3 hours of flying time).
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
1) if you go in assuming everything will be done to perfection, you're already off to a bad start
2) check out many reviews and people's experiences with flight schools/FBOs
3) be familiar with the ACS (airman certification standards), these are the standards that you will need to meet - then, it's a matter of meeting these to the standard required
1) I made no assumptions. Merely setting ideal conditions for my hypothetical question.
2) Good advice!
3) Even better advice! Thank you.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
If you are actually ready to pass the exam with flying colors, then I'd be surprised if an instructor dragged things out. A far more common problem is students thinking that they're flying better than they are. Keep in mind that among pilots, the PPL is seen as a "license to learn" - while a 40 hour pilot may be able to fly safely, it's unlikely that their flying will be "to perfection."

To answer your question though, if you are ready for the checkride and your instructor isn't willing to sign you off, go to a different one and ask them to sign you off instead. If your flying is really that amazing, your new instructor should be willing to sign you off after a mock checkride or two (2-3 hours of flying time).
Your reassurance is precisely what I wanted to hear. While there are unethical people almost everywhere I had high hopes this portion of the population was exempt.
I’m not at all concerned with paying for what we may require, the issue was possibly paying to rack up hours in a CFI’s logbook for his future goals while making a tidy profit at the same time.
If I feel I am endangering the public or myself, I’ll get more training or quit.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:31 pm

Not gonna lie, there are definitely instructors/flight schools out there that operate this way. The best way to avoid this is to look at reviews and talk to people. Very quickly, you'll know who the guys and girls to go to and avoid are.
JP337 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
What does everyone think about doing ground school at a community college? Would that save significant money compared to doing it at whatever flight school one goes with?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:40 pm

If you want to save as much money as possible and have the right motivation to do so, its entirely possible to do your PPL ground school and written completely on your own. Make the most use of the PHAK, but also YouTube videos, sites etc.

Of course, if you go to a Part 141 flight school, this won't be possible, but those are never the cheapest either
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would first caution that getting a private pilot license is not a cheap endeavor, and you shouldn't be looking to do it on the cheap. Cheap is how corners get cut and people get hurt or killed. My former uncle's parents had a plane. His dad was a longtime pilot...until they crashed and burned one day upon takeoff from MCI.

Once you get your license, you'll need to continue flying regularly to build up hours and maintain practice. The most dangerous time for a new pilot is the 100-200 hours immediately after getting the license. There will be lots of the proverbial $100 hamburgers in your future (fly somewhere, eat a hamburger for dinner, fly back). It's not an inexpensive undertaking. Figure $10k to get the license and then flying time to build up hours and practice.

I agree with the advice on how to research flight schools.
obscure2k likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.