Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you handle someone sitting in your seat when you board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you handle someone sitting in your seat when you board?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I boarded an AA 737-800 last week and found someone in my seat. I said "I have 5A" and he said "oh this isn't 3A?" I had to explain to him that in their infinite wisdom, American designates the first row of several of their planes row 3. He was embarrassed and amused by it.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by CMK10
I boarded an AA 737-800 last week and found someone in my seat. I said "I have 5A" and he said "oh this isn't 3A?" I had to explain to him that in their infinite wisdom, American designates the first row of several of their planes row 3. He was embarrassed and amused by it.
I have done exactly the same thing on those 737-800s. Anyone ever hear a reason for beginning with row 3?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by CMK10
I've gotten an "oh this isn't 98E?" while they're comfortably nestled in my 5D. Clearly it must've been an innocent mistake.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I've gotten an "oh this isn't 98E?" while they're comfortably nestled in my 5D. Clearly it must've been an innocent mistake.
maybe it's an upper-deck thing
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
"Sorry, I'm in this seat, 3A."

Never a problem.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I boarded an Air Canada Jazz CRJ from a shared gate at YYZ to find a lady sat in my seat. She told me rather rudely that it was her seat and that she absolutely had to be on the flight as she had an important meeting on Ottawa.
I said fine stay there and enjoy the flight to Winnipeg.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Originally Posted by V800
I boarded an Air Canada Jazz CRJ from a shared gate at YYZ to find a lady sat in my seat. She told me rather rudely that it was her seat and that she absolutely had to be on the flight as she had an important meeting on Ottawa.
It's 11:51 AM and I am drinking red wine, which I just spilled all over my laptop while laughing.

Where do I send the bill??
tentseller likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
"Sorry, I'm in this seat, 3A."

Never a problem.
You're lucky. Usually you get some form of the following response:

You take my seat (an order). [The seat is something like 26E so it's not a fair trade.]

All seats get there at the same time, so what's your problem?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by V800
If someone was rude to me in that situation, I wouldn't have said anything. Would have found an open seat and enjoyed the flight knowing what the rude one had to look forward to upon their arrival.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I have sat in the wrong seat a few times, I am always embarrassed, apologize and quickly get up to move out of the seat. It is usually a case of moving from one side of the aisle to the opposite side. Now I try to look at my BP to set in my mind which seat I have for the particular flight I am boarding. Odd thing is, it is always when I am in coach, never when in FC.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by ctporter
I have sat in the wrong seat a few times, I am always embarrassed, apologize and quickly get up to move out of the seat. It is usually a case of moving from one side of the aisle to the opposite side. Now I try to look at my BP to set in my mind which seat I have for the particular flight I am boarding. Odd thing is, it is always when I am in coach, never when in FC.
This is me, too. For some reason, I tend to bias toward the D seats on single aisle aircraft. When I end up with a C, about half the time I sit on the wrong side of the aisle. I am always completely horrified when I do it though...
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You're lucky. Usually you get some form of the following response:

You take my seat (an order). [The seat is something like 26E so it's not a fair trade.]

All seats get there at the same time, so what's your problem?
In these rare (rare as in "go sit in another seat" attitude) situations (for me), I assert myself and then only ask the SD for assistance as a last resort.
But it depends on the situation of course. If they happen to ask me to sit in a seat that I don't dislike or is better for me, for example, I often oblige.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
This is me, too. For some reason, I tend to bias toward the D seats on single aisle aircraft. When I end up with a C, about half the time I sit on the wrong side of the aisle. I am always completely horrified when I do it though...
My favorite is 21C (reclining exit row aisle) on most UA flights. Once I booked 21D as 21C was not available, but sat in 21C by habit and settled in nicely! The seat owner arrived. I realized my mistake and asked if he minded taking 21D. He insisted on 21C (his right) - so I moved. I personally would have just taken 21D if I were him, but I guess folks have strong C vs. D preference,
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by pindi
My favorite is 21C (reclining exit row aisle) on most UA flights. Once I booked 21D as 21C was not available, but sat in 21C by habit and settled in nicely! The seat owner arrived. I realized my mistake and asked if he minded taking 21D. He insisted on 21C (his right) - so I moved. I personally would have just taken 21D if I were him, but I guess folks have strong C vs. D preference,
Yeah, it's funny. I don't really *feel* like I have a preference, but if comparable aisle seats are available on both sides, I will grab the right side without even thinking about it.

As a thought experiment, I created a list of my seating preferences on airplanes a while back. When I started, it was a response to my own question - Why can't I enter my seat preferences into my FF profile, and have the airline automatically assign me the best available seat based on my particular preference. Unfortunately, I only got through the list for single aisle 3+3 configurations. (I fly primarily with Delta)

It was something like this:
  1. Any non-bulkhead aisle seat in First
  2. Any non-bulkhead window seat in First
  3. Any bulkhead aisle seat in First
  4. Any bulkhead window seat in First
  5. Any non-bulkhead aisle in Comfort Plus (unless it is a non-bulkhead bulkhead, in which case it's preferred)
  6. Any aisle exit row in Economy (preference for seats that recline)
  7. Any window seat in Comfort Plus
  8. Any window exit row (preference for seats that recline)
  9. Any economy aisle seat
  10. Any economy window seat
  11. Any middle Comfort Plus
  12. Any middle exit row
  13. Any middle economy
In all cases except First Class, closer to the front of the plane is preferred. In First, closer to the middle (i.e. row 3 on a 737-900 to help ensure meal choice)

Finally, special case for Delta's 757s and 767s with lay-flat seats:
  1. Row 1 aisle is preferred for the larger footwells
  2. Window seat on the 767 for the extra privacy
  3. Any other seat up front.

It seems so simple! Why can't they just automate it?????
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pindi
I tend to be cautious about assuming seats are equivalent, even if they appear so on paper.

If someone is in my seat and it's not by accident, there is a reason. Especially with a solo traveler. Whatever that reason is, it's not something I should have to deal with...because the seat the poacher is in is my seat and whatever problem with their seat is theirs. Too many times I have been polite to someone and agreed to take their apparently equivalent seat only to find a major drawback with it. Dried vomit on the floor, screaming baby beside it, smelly pax, COS in the middle, IFE not working..that kind of thing.

Rather than go and make an assessment of the so called "equivalent" seat, I just say no.

It saves time and trouble. Obviously MY seat is ok so I will keep it. No good deed goes unpunished.

Last edited by Proudelitist; Jun 4, 2018 at 2:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.