Community
Wiki Posts
Search

spirit will start Hawaii service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:10 am
Original Poster

spirit will start Hawaii service

I was on a hotel shuttle bus yesterday and a spirit flight crew was on the phone in the bus. He told his friend that they just got word that they will begin service on 219s pretty soon once they reconfigure it with over water equipment. Like towards the end of the year. Lax-hnl service.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:08 am

Coming soon to Spirit Airlines:

Potential Life Jacket Use Fee
Airport Code That Starts With "H" Fee
Making Sure There Are No Snakes on the Plane Fee
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: WN A+, PC Gold
$3 fee for being greeted with a Lei.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
$3 "Color Conservation Fee" for those passengers choosing to wear a Hawaiian shirt on the plane. Doubled for passengers wearing shirt size L/XL or higher.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ham Medallion
All jokes aside, NK entering the market is ultimately a good thing for us, the consumers. The added competition should causes fares on all of the mainline carriers to drop along the same route.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 8:13 pm

They'd do this from LAX though? I don't see why they would choose AZA over PHX, but choose LAX over some secondaries like ONT etc... especially because the west coast is really just one giant metropolis.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Saying "Aloha" instead of "Hi".....$5.00.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
I couldn't imagine a more painful way to arrive or depart paradise.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flying_owl
All jokes aside, NK entering the market is ultimately a good thing for us, the consumers. The added competition should causes fares on all of the mainline carriers to drop along the same route.
Or the added lift will be minimal so in the end nothing much changes.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Or the added lift will be minimal so in the end nothing much changes.
You can look at what happened to DL fares when WN moved in, granted WN is a much bigger influence but you can't count out what effect a LCC can have on pricing.

If NK undercuts the legacy carriers by a good enough margin, I'm sure there are enough people (presumably non-FT'ers) who would be willing to sit in 28" 'pre-reclined' seats to get to Hawai'i cheaper.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:50 pm

I am the only one to say THANK GOD to this?

Now I have a a way to get my mother in law to Hawaii and continue to be utterly passive aggressive about it. US in F from PHX isn't great but at least its not Spirit.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 2:10 am

This is great news. From the west coast, tix are way too much $500(!?) This should lower the price for us LA folk.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 2:13 am

And a la carte pricing favors the informed, so why would FT complain?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 3:27 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by happythrive
This is great news. From the west coast, tix are way too much $500(!?) This should lower the price for us LA folk.
I was just going to say, tickets from the west coast to Hawaii already seem quite cheap ($400-500), and wonder how much pressure Spirit will actually be able to put on them.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:49 am
Suspended

Why would anyone complain though that a new carrier is entering the market, at a presumably lower price point?

It's not like the legacy carriers will raise their prices because of it, the worst possible case is that the status quo remains and there's no difference to anyone. Most likely there will be some kind of drop in prices however, which - should - make everyone happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.