FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

WHBM Sep 8, 2017 2:47 pm

4. In 1964, this Asian airline stated it was operating "Rolls-Royce Service". Name the air carrier in question and explain just what "Rolls-Royce Service" was. The airline wasn't Air Ceylon or Thai Airways and the equipment wasn't a Comet, Caravelle or HS748.
OK, let's have another go at this one. Apparently it's two aircraft types.

It's 1964. The RR DC8 was never sold in Asia, and the only Asian RR 707s were Air India and El Al, neither of whom had another RR engine type (and in fact by 1964 Boeing had stopped marketing the RR version). The RR Dart-engine YS-11 is not in production yet, nor the One-Eleven or VC-10. The Vanguard didn't sell there, nor the CL-44.

It's got to be two Dart-powered turboprops. Someone's got to be proud of them so they have to be its main line types. All that I think are left are the Viscount and the F-27. There were still a few Asian carriers who had both of those. For whom were they top of the line ? Hmmm.

Lets go for All Nippon.

jrl767 Sep 8, 2017 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 28768147)
25. It's 1998 and you are in Flint, Michigan. A couple of friends have invited you to set sail with them across the Gulf of Mexico to Little Cayman Island in the Caribbean. Their catamaran is moored in Destin, Florida. Lo and behold, you've found a direct flight from Flint to the closest commercially served airport near Destin. This flight makes one intermediate stop en route. Identify the airline, the stop, the airport you will arrive into in Florida and the equipment.

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 28768406)
25- the destination airport was in all likelihood Ft Walton Beach / Eglin AFB (VPS; the code reflects the nearby town of Valparaiso) ... I have low expectations as to whether these subsequent parts of the answer are correct, but I'll say Northwest with a DC-9-50 stopping at Memphis (MEM)

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 28768674)
25. VPS is correct; however, the airline wasn't Northwest, the stop was not made in Memphis and the equipment wasn't a DC-9-50 (although you are close concerning the aircraft type).

25- well then, let's say AirTran with a DC-9-30 ... stopping, of course, in Atlanta

jlemon Sep 9, 2017 6:34 am

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 28793642)
OK, let's have another go at this one. Apparently it's two aircraft types.

It's 1964. The RR DC8 was never sold in Asia, and the only Asian RR 707s were Air India and El Al, neither of whom had another RR engine type (and in fact by 1964 Boeing had stopped marketing the RR version). The RR Dart-engine YS-11 is not in production yet, nor the One-Eleven or VC-10. The Vanguard didn't sell there, nor the CL-44.

It's got to be two Dart-powered turboprops. Someone's got to be proud of them so they have to be its main line types. All that I think are left are the Viscount and the F-27. There were still a few Asian carriers who had both of those. For whom were they top of the line ? Hmmm.

Lets go for All Nippon.

4. Yes sir, the Vickers Viscount and Fokker F27 are correct! However, the air carrier in question was not all All Nippon (ANA) so please guess again. Plus, a hint: this airline had announced in 1964 that it was planning to introduce a new jet aircraft type into its fleet which featured Rolls-Royce engines.

jlemon Sep 9, 2017 6:50 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 28794456)
25- well then, let's say AirTran with a DC-9-30 ... stopping, of course, in Atlanta

25. Correct! Here's the sched.....

FL 245: Flint (FNT) 4:05p - 6:00p Atlanta (ATL) 6:45p - 6:50p Fort Walton Beach (VPS)
Op: FNT-ATL Daily, ATL-VPS Ex. Sat.
Equip: D9S

WHBM Sep 9, 2017 6:55 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 28795603)
4. Yes sir, the Vickers Viscount and Fokker F27 are correct! However, the air carrier in question was not all All Nippon (ANA) so please guess again. Plus, a hint: this airline had announced in 1964 that it was planning to introduce a new jet aircraft type into its fleet which featured Rolls-Royce engines.

OK, third time lucky. How about Pakistan International, who had both types and had Hawker Siddeley Tridents on order ?

jlemon Sep 9, 2017 9:57 am

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 28795655)
OK, third time lucky. How about Pakistan International, who had both types and had Hawker Siddeley Tridents on order ?

4. An excellent guess, sir! However, the air carrier we are looking for was based further east in the Pacific region.

WHBM Sep 9, 2017 10:34 am

Drat and Double Drat. Must be PAL.

(written on my phone while travelling on the DLR please excuse all typos).

jrl767 Sep 9, 2017 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 28796222)

the only pseudo-typo is "travelling" ... which in American English would be spelt "traveling" :p

I was browsing thru some airliner magazines at Barnes & Noble earlier this afternoon, and in one of them (Airliner Classics v7?) saw an ad for a book about the BAe 146, at a price of £6.99

jlemon Sep 10, 2017 8:10 am

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 28796222)

Wonderful system, that DLR. I remember an enjoyable ride during a chilly fall day awhile back.

4. And Philippine Air Lines is correct! The June 1964 PAL timetable also had this message:

SOON! ACROSS PHILIPPINE SKIES - PAL ONE-ELEVEN JET

I believe the airline operated both the series 400 as well as the stretched series 500.

jlemon Sep 10, 2017 11:21 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 28766210)

Please limit your response to no more than three quiz items at a time so that all may participate. Thanks! :cool:

1. It's 1959 and you are in Chicago where you've just finished a project. Now it's time to go have some fun! So you're off to San Antonio where you will rendezvous with good friends and then drive to the Big Bend country of west Texas for a float trip down the mighty Rio Grande River. You've found a dinner flight departing Chicago Midway airport at 6:00 pm that will get you into SAT by 9:00 pm. Two intermediate stops will be made en route. Identify the airline, the two stops in the order in which they will be made and the aircraft type you'll be flying on. ANSWERED

7. In 1966, this airline was operating direct, no change of plane service from San Juan (SJU) to Mexico City (MEX). The actual schedule varied depending on the day of the week but twice a week three intermediate stops were made en route. Identify the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment operated on the service. ANSWERED

10. Now it's 1968 and you are in Paramaribo, Suriname. You need to travel to New York City and have found a direct flight which operates twice a week departing at 9:55 am and arriving JFK at 5:38pm. Three stops are made en route. Name the airline operating this flight as well as all three stops in order and the equipment. ANSWERED

13. If you wanted to fly on board a Lockheed L-188 Electra out of Port au Prince, Haiti in 1973, what airline would you call? ANSWERED

14. In 1979, this air carrier was operating nonstop service from Guadalajara to two destinations in the western U.S. Both flights were operated once a week and the same aircraft type was flown on each flight. Name the airline, the two destinations in the U.S. and the equipment.

The above quiz items are still looking for answers......

jlemon Sep 10, 2017 11:28 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 28768147)

16. In 1981, this airline was operating nonstop service between San Jose de Cabo (SJD) and El Paso (ELP) twice a week. Identify the air carrier and the equipment. ANSWERED

17. Also in 1981, this air carrier was flying nonstop service between Merida (MID) and Chicago (ORD) once a week. Name the airline and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

19. In 1984, this air carrier ran an ad with the following statement:

"Plus, we're instituting a new, higher level of in-flight service on the ___(aircraft type)___ and ___(aircraft type)___ called Summit Class"

Fill in the blanks and name the airline. And here's a hint: this air carrier was operating four different aircraft types at this time.

21. It's 1986 and you are in New Orleans. There's a meeting you must attend in Philadelphia the next day following your lunch meeting in the French Quarter at Galatoire's fine dining restaurant. So you book a seat in first class on a flight that departs MSY at 3:00 pm and arrives at PHL at 8:45 pm. One stop will be made en route and snack service will be offered on board. Identify the airline, the stop and the equipment. ANSWERED

23. In 1992, Southwest Airlines ran an ad with the following statement:

"Liar, liar. Pants on fire."

Explain what this Southwest ad was about.

And the above remain unanswered as well.

Meantime, after wreaking havoc and destruction across portions of the Caribbean, Hurricane Irma is now relentlessly closing in on the Gulf coast of Florida with Naples, Fort Myers, Sarasota, St. Petersburg, Tampa and other seaside communities all now in the cross hairs of this still very powerful monster of a storm. Our thoughts and prayers are with the good folks of the Sunshine State today.

Seat 2A Sep 11, 2017 2:43 am

Good to see jlemon titillating the cognoscenti with yet another challenging set of questions. Now that I've got a decent internet connection, I'll have a go at

16. In 1981, this airline was operating nonstop service between San Jose de Cabo (SJD) and El Paso (ELP) twice a week. Identify the air carrier and the equipment.

I recall Frontier operating to some Mexican destinations out of ELP. Let's go with FL operating a 737-200.

17. Also in 1981, this air carrier was flying nonstop service between Merida (MID) and Chicago (ORD) once a week. Name the airline and the aircraft type.

I'll go with one of the seemingly obvious choices - Mexicana with a 727-200.

WHBM Sep 11, 2017 11:53 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 28798698)

4. And Philippine Air Lines is correct!

Got there in the end ! PAL was a longstanding user of British aircraft and RR engines; after our question they replaced their early F27s with a large fleet of HS748s, and they bought plenty of One-Elevens as well.

Their main jet type was the DC8, which they ran on a sort of pool arrangement with KLM, similarly to Viasa doing the same. My first sight of a PAL aircraft was not a new one awaiting delivery, nor at Heathrow (which I think they did not serve for a long time), but in Liverpool airport, of all places. It was 1970, the aircraft was doing some exchange flights for KLM, and was used for a soccer supporters' charter from Amsterdam to Liverpool. A rare visitor indeed to the other side of the world, and someone else was also there, to take a photo of it laying over while the game was played. Here it is, filling the ramp at the classic old 1930s art-deco terminal building there https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.34...7i13312!8i6656 which nowadays is a Crowne Plaza hotel with a lot of aviation theme around.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Phili...DC-8-33/253081

In the background are a couple of old Liverpool stalwarts ... well, that could be a Bonus Question. What are the aircraft (one only part visible), which airlines, and which destinations did these two aircraft serve from Liverpool in 1970 ?

In the background, the old Liverpool main runway, now closed, from which I had departed a few years earlier on my first ever flight.

Hurricane Irma is now relentlessly closing in on ... St. Petersburg
In the days when I used to do flying holidays in the US I would rent with a great instructor in St Petersburg, who I hope has managed to get his PA-28s up to Tennessee or wherever.

17. Also in 1981, this air carrier was flying nonstop service between Merida (MID) and Chicago (ORD) once a week. Name the airline and the aircraft type.
OK, oddball guess. Eastern, with a 727-200.

21. It's 1986 and you are in New Orleans. There's a meeting you must attend in Philadelphia the next day following your lunch meeting in the French Quarter at Galatoire's fine dining restaurant. So you book a seat in first class on a flight that departs MSY at 3:00 pm and arrives at PHL at 8:45 pm. One stop will be made en route and snack service will be offered on board. Identify the airline, the stop and the equipment.
Lots of choices through various hubs. I think if it had been Eastern or Delta through Atlanta they would have provided a proper meal in first class on the latter stage. Lets go for a Piedmont 737 through Charlotte.

jlemon Sep 11, 2017 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 28801200)
Good to see jlemon titillating the cognoscenti with yet another challenging set of questions. Now that I've got a decent internet connection, I'll have a go at

16. In 1981, this airline was operating nonstop service between San Jose de Cabo (SJD) and El Paso (ELP) twice a week. Identify the air carrier and the equipment.

I recall Frontier operating to some Mexican destinations out of ELP. Let's go with FL operating a 737-200.

I'll go with one of the seemingly obvious choices - Mexicana with a 727-200.

Howdy Seat 2A! Hope your journey nonstop from DFW to SYD on board a Qantas A380 in F was memorable. I'm certainly looking forward to hearing about it! :)

16. An excellent guess! However, the air carrier wasn't Frontier nor was the equipment a 73S.

17. Well, you've correctly guessed the aircraft type as it was indeed a 72S. But the airline was not Mexicana.

Please guess again!

jlemon Sep 11, 2017 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 28802824)

17. OK, oddball guess. Eastern, with a 727-200.

21. Lots of choices through various hubs. I think if it had been Eastern or Delta through Atlanta they would have provided a proper meal in first class on the latter stage. Lets go for a Piedmont 737 through Charlotte.

Many thanks for yet another excellent bonus quiz item!

17. Yes, indeed, the aircraft type was a 72S. However, the airline wasn't Eastern.

21. Ah, the air carrier wasn't Piedmont nor was the equipment a 737 of any stripe. And the airline was not Delta or Eastern, either.

Please guess again!