FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

jlemon Feb 1, 2012 7:34 am

Originally Posted by N702ML (Post 17918578)
I haven't seen any of these answered.... I apologize if someone has and I missed it.

1. DFW. Originally an Auckland-Papeete-Dallas/Fort Worth-London Gatwick flight, it was later changed to Auckland-Honolulu-Dallas/Fort Worth-London Gatwick.

6. United Airlines with 737s.

9. An easy one! USAir.

13. American Airlines and the MD-11.

Correct on all counts although as noted above, United operated nonstop PIT-MSY before deregulation.

Also, when American initiated service from San Jose, CA to Tokyo, there were times when the MD-11 had to stop in Oakland in order to take on additional fuel due to runway constraints at SJC. I believe this situation was subsequently alleviated when the runway at SJC was extended.

Wally Bird Feb 1, 2012 7:39 am

Originally Posted by cs57 (Post 17928051)
Two U.S Airlines using 707, 720B and DC-8---Braniff and Pan Am?

+ Northwest.

jlemon Feb 1, 2012 7:47 am

1.) What two airlines operated DC-8 Super 60 series aircraft nonstop between New York and San Juan, Puerto Rico?

Well, I know that Trans Caribbean Airways (TCA) operated the stretched DC-8-61 between New York and San Juan......

As for the other airline, I'll guess this was American as they acquired TCA in the early 70's and then probably operated the Super DC-8 for a short time before replacing this aircraft type with their B707s.......

P.S. - And if it was not AA, perhaps it was Eastern......

jlemon Feb 1, 2012 8:07 am

Here's some more questions:

1) What airline flew the Lockheed L-1011-500 nonstop between LAX and ANC?

2) What airline flew the MD-11 nonstop between LAX and PDX?

3) Back before the advent of long range jetliners (such as the B747SP and B747-400 followed by the B777-200LR, B777-300ER and the A340-500), a number of non-U.S. airlines flew between HNL and LAX/SFO as part of their international journeys. HNL was essentially a technical stop for refueling. Although these airlines were not permitted to carry local domestic traffic on the LAX-HNL and SFO-HNL legs, they were permitted to carry stopover traffic. Name as many non-U.S. airlines as you can that flew these routes and the aircraft they operated.

cs57 Feb 1, 2012 8:31 am

DC-8 Super 60s between New York and San Juan.

Capital International Airways------------(Charter/Scheduled airline service with a "hub" at JFK in the early 1980s) I took them on a charter from Rome (CIA)--SNN--JFK and we were "only" 24 hours late due to lack of aircraft!

Seat 2A Feb 1, 2012 11:52 am

1.) What two airlines operated DC-8 Super 60 series aircraft nonstop between New York and San Juan, Puerto Rico?
Well, I know that Trans Caribbean Airways (TCA) operated the stretched DC-8-61 between New York and San Juan... As for the other airline, I'll guess this was American as they acquired TCA in the early 70's and then probably operated the Super DC-8 for a short time before replacing this aircraft type with their B707s....... jlemon
Capital International Airways - (Charter/Scheduled airline service with a "hub" at JFK in the early 1980s cs57

I was in New York back when American acquired TCA. I was really looking forward to seeing a stretch 8 in AA's livery, but alas, the word was that AA immediately leased those -61s out to other operators (TIA?) and ultimately sold them without ever operating them as an AA liveried machine.

As for Capitol, I forgot all about them. I remember them offering transcon Sky Saver fares with DC-8-61s and DC-10s but I was unaware they flew the NYC-SJU route. Was that scheduled or charter?

2. What happened to BWIA's fleet of 727-100s?
BWIA 727-100s went to Braniff in trade for 707s. cs57
Correct!

3. What happened to Allegheny's fleet of two 727-200s?
The short time span of 727-200s with Allegheny (1970-71) ended when they went to Braniff. cs57
Right on!

4.) What two U.S. airlines operated the Boeing 707-320, 720B and DC-8?
Two U.S Airlines using 707, 720B and DC-8---Braniff and Pan Am? cs57
Northwest Wally Bird

Pan American and Northwest are correct. Braniff's 720s were not the B variant with the upgraded engines but rather standard -027s powered by the water injected turbojet JT3C engines. Braniff did operate some ex-Qantas 707-138Bs, which like the 720B was powered by JT3D-3B turbo fans and was also very similar in size to the 720 though with greater range per its original owner's needs (Qantas).

Seat 2A Feb 1, 2012 12:37 pm

Well I'll take a stab at this one...

3) Back before the advent of long range jetliners (such as the B747-400 followed by the B777-200LR, B777-300ER and the A340-500), a number of non-U.S. airlines flew between HNL and LAX/SFO as part of their international journeys. HNL was essentially a technical stop for refueling. Although these airlines were not permitted to carry local domestic traffic on the LAX-HNL and SFO-HNL legs, they were permitted to carry stopover traffic. Name as many non-U.S. airlines as you can that flew these routes and the aircraft they operated.[/QUOTE]

QANTAS SFO-HNL 707-320 ~ 747-200
BOAC LAX-HNL VC-10
Air New Zealand LAX-HNL DC-8 ~ DC-10 ~ 747-200
Garuda LAX-HNL DC-10 ~ 747-200 (?)
Singapore SFO-HNL DC-10 ~ 747-200
Philippine Airlines SFO-HNL DC-8 ~ DC-8-61/3 ~ DC-10 ~ 747-200
Japan Air Lines LAX/SFO - HNL DC-8 ~ DC-8-61 ~ 747-100/200
Korean Air Lines LAX-HNL 747-200
China Air Lines LAX-HNL 747-200

I'm thinking UTA may have done this also at one time, but I'm not sure...

jlemon Feb 1, 2012 12:50 pm

[QUOTE=Seat 2A;17930934]1.) What two airlines operated DC-8 Super 60 series aircraft nonstop between New York and San Juan, Puerto Rico?
Well, I know that Trans Caribbean Airways (TCA) operated the stretched DC-8-61 between New York and San Juan... As for the other airline, I'll guess this was American as they acquired TCA in the early 70's and then probably operated the Super DC-8 for a short time before replacing this aircraft type with their B707s....... jlemon
Capital International Airways - (Charter/Scheduled airline service with a "hub" at JFK in the early 1980s cs57

I was in New York back when American acquired TCA. I was really looking forward to seeing a stretch 8 in AA's livery, but alas, the word was that AA immediately leased those -61s out to other operators (TIA?) and ultimately sold them without ever operating them as an AA liveried machine.

As for Capitol, I forgot all about them. I remember them offering transcon Sky Saver fares with DC-8-61s and DC-10s but I was unaware they flew the NYC-SJU route. Was that scheduled or charter?

Ah, but then who was the other DC-8 Super 60 series operator on the New York-San Juan run? Was it indeed Eastern? :cool:

N965VJ Feb 1, 2012 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by N702ML (Post 17920557)
In 1995....

PIT-MSY 3 daily non-stops on USAir (a 737-400, a Fokker 100, and an MD-80)

We continued with PIT-MSY well into the 90's. When the livery was changed to dark blue, MSY was a miserable place to be on the ground in a F100 in July because the AC system was designed for a European climate. At one point the aircraft were modified with additional vents, but all they seemed to do was make a racket and blow the hot air around some more. The aircraft also had a habit of forming condensation in the ducts on the ground, which would then freeze. It sounded like marbles rolling around the overheads, and little chunks of ice would fly out of the vents onto people. :eek::D

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 17925635)
5) Air Wisconsin has been mentioned above but how about US Air as well? BAC One-Eleven aircraft came from Mohawk in the merger/acquisition and additional BAC 1-11s were acquired used from other carriers. And the BAe 146 aircraft came from PSA.

Yup. ;)

jlemon Feb 1, 2012 1:00 pm

[QUOTE=N965VJ;17931492]We continued with PIT-MSY well into the 90's. When the livery was changed to dark blue, MSY was a miserable place to be on the ground in a F100 in July because the AC system was designed for a European climate. At one point the aircraft were modified with additional vents, but all they seemed to do was make a racket and blow the hot air around some more. The aircraft also had a habit of forming condensation in the ducts on the ground, which would then freeze. It sounded like marbles rolling around the overheads, and little chunks of ice would fly out of the vents onto people. :eek::D

And speaking as a current resident of the great state of Looziana, (our slogan: "Third World and Darn Proud Of It!"), perhaps this was not a bad thing on the tarmac on a very hot, very humid, tropical weather type of day at N'Awlins Irrational Airport! The ice chunks probably cooled the pax down a bit! ;)

Seat 2A Feb 1, 2012 2:36 pm

Ah, but then who was the other DC-8 Super 60 series operator on the New York-San Juan run? Was it indeed Eastern?

Yes it was! Sorry, I forgot to add that after all the other stuff.

cs57 Feb 1, 2012 2:40 pm

The New York--San Juan service on Capital was scheduled, according to the 1981 Capital timetable (winter).

Cattle Airlines Feb 1, 2012 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 17929010)
Here's some more questions:

1) What airline flew the Lockheed L-1011-500 nonstop between LAX and ANC?

2) What airline flew the MD-11 nonstop between LAX and PDX?

1. Delta. That was one of their first trans-Pacific international flights. The Tristar could barely do it so they scheduled fuel stops in Anchorage.

2. really guessing....Delta. Portland, Oregon was their Pacific hub because that was where they could get rights to. Delta did have a SFO-PDX flight but mainly to connect with the Pacific flights. I think it might not have even been Delta but a regional flying a CRJ200.

Cattle Airlines Feb 1, 2012 3:42 pm

What airlines flew the BAe146 between SFO and LAX? One of them was PSA. Did AirCal fly that route with the 146?

I flew another airline. They used 6 abreast seating, not 5 on the BAe 146. The flight that I took had 8 other passengers! I flew it around 1996.

tonywestsider Feb 1, 2012 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 17927075)
As to the original question: Name three airlines, operating domestic U.S. flights in the 1970s, that never installed coach lounges on their widebodied aircraft.

Delta
National
Northwest
Western

I suppose you could also throw in The Hawaii Express and possibly World Airways, historically a supplemental carrier but post deregulation in 1980 I flew a scheduled flight on World aboard a DC-10-30 between LAX and OAK. I just don't know if World was running scheduled flights in the 1970s or I'd add their name to the mix for sure.

Hmm... I think for this one, you can also add Pan Am. In the 1980s, they operated A300s on a regular schedule between LAX and SFO. Actually, you can also add in Hawaiian. They operated L-1011s between HNL and the west coast/mainland sans coach lounges.