FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

jrl767 May 7, 2021 5:53 pm

14- my conundrum is “two stops not at major airports” and we already have PIT on the itinerary ... Erie (ERI) and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (AVP) are about the only other ones I can think of

23- Las Vegas (LAS) is a logical guess, but if it’s wrong I’ll probably start throwing darts at a 200-mile-diameter circle centered on JAQ (Amador County Airport, Jackson CA)

Seat 2A May 7, 2021 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 33234800)
14- my conundrum is “two stops not at major airports” and we already have PIT on the itinerary ... Erie (ERI) and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (AVP) are about the only other ones I can think of...

Ah... somehow I missed that bit about “two stops not at major airports”. I'd second your motion for AVP

teddybear99 May 8, 2021 1:00 am

Tapping in to try to close out 2 that were partially answered:

18. I am going to say the airline was Delta

19. First stop was BWI

WHBM May 8, 2021 1:29 am

21. If you wanted to fly nonstop to Hong Kong from Bangkok on board a Boeing 727-200 at this time, there was only one air carrier to call. Name that airline.
Wasn't this when Singapore Airlines had their very brief flirtation with quite a sizeable 727-200 fleet ? Well, they had to do something with them. So I'll guess it was running Hong Kong-Bangkok-Singapore.

As soon as they were all delivered, they began selling them off again, something which Singapore has considerable form for. Looking at our recent mentions here, several came to Alaska Airlines, and at least one to Dan-Air in Britain.

Seat 2A May 8, 2021 9:46 am

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 33235340)
As soon as they were all delivered (to Singapore Airlines), they began selling them off again, something which Singapore has considerable form for. Looking at our recent mentions here, several came to Alaska Airlines, and at least one to Dan-Air in Britain.

Alaska acquired five 727-212As from Singapore. They were not crew favorites, nicknamed the "Roach Coaches" for having arrived from Singapore with a bit of a cockroach infestation (by Alaska standards). I flew aboard a couple of them over the years, one of them (ship 296) four times and never did encounter and cockroaches. Coincidentally, I shot a photo of that same aircraft while checking out the inventory at the airport in Kingman, Arizona - one of the five great aircraft boneyards in the southwestern United States. Rather than take up the whole page with my photo, I'll add a link from a similar shot taken recently at Kingman. BTW, ever wonder where the large Comair CRJ fleet disappeared to? Kingman. The same holds true for a plethora of ERJ-145s from American Eagle, Continental Express and United Express.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9152245

This particular aircraft was delivered to Singapore Airlines as 9V-SGE 1977 > SOLD Alaska Airlines N296AS 1981 > SOLD Continental Micronesia N86425 1993 > SOLD Asia Pacific Airlines 2001 > WFU & Stored Tucson, AZ 2004 >

There are multiple pictures of it operating out of Honolulu and Guam as late as February 2017, so evidently its first stay at Tucson was a temporary one. As the airframe is now over 30 years old, I'd guess Kingman is its final resting place.

jlemon May 8, 2021 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 33234781)
10. You're in Curacao in 1970 and are on your way to San Juan. Your flight operates daily and makes one stop en route. Identify the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft.

Well, Curacao has me thinking the Dutch connection, and while I'm tempted to go with KLM, given the all Y-Class stipulation let's instead go with KLM's little brother ALM operating a DC-9-10 via Aruba

14. Now you're in Boston, it's 1976 and you are on your way to Chicago. Your daily flight will make three stops en route and two of stops will not be made at major airports. Identify the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment. It was Allegheny operating a DC9-50, the first stop was ABE and the third stop was PIT. Stops were not made at DCA, RIC, GSO, ALB, ROC, DTW, CMH, DAY, BGM, ELM, PVD, BDL, SYR, BUF or MDT. So all we need is the second stop here: BOS - ABE - ___ - PIT - ORD.

As a veteran of two go rounds with Allegheny / US Air's Liberty Fare pass, I'm gonna have to go with Philadelphia (PHL)

10. Ah, it wasn't ALM nor was the equipment a DC9-10. But you are quite a bit closer now with regard to the aircraft. And the flight in question did indeed stop in Aruba.

14. Nope, it wasn't Philly.

And BTW, as a sign that life just may be returning to normal here, for the first time in over a year, our "Cars & Coffee" event was held locally in Lafayette this morning with a big turnout and lots of interesting vehicles. A good friend and yours truly attended (and also exhibited our cars - his Porsche and my BMW) and it was great to see a whole bunch of great folks we had not seen in quite some time. There were also several late model Lamborghinis on display and my oh my, what beautiful cars they are! :cool:

jlemon May 8, 2021 10:00 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 33234800)
14- my conundrum is “two stops not at major airports” and we already have PIT on the itinerary ... Erie (ERI) and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (AVP) are about the only other ones I can think of

23- Las Vegas (LAS) is a logical guess, but if it’s wrong I’ll probably start throwing darts at a 200-mile-diameter circle centered on JAQ (Amador County Airport, Jackson CA)

14. So which one do you want to go with? ERI or AVP?

23. Nope.

jlemon May 8, 2021 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 33234937)
Ah... somehow I missed that bit about “two stops not at major airports”. I'd second your motion for AVP

14. Yep! And I mistakenly indicated above that Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton was the first stop. It was actually the second stop. Here's the sched....

AL 777: Boston (BOS) 10:57a - 11:51a Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (AVP) 12:15p - 12:37p Allentown (ABE) 1:01p - 1:54p Pittsburgh (PIT) 2:20p - 2:40p Chicago O'Hare (ORD)
Freq: Daily
Service class: S
Meal service: None
Equip: DC9-50

jlemon May 8, 2021 10:15 am

Originally Posted by teddybear99 (Post 33235310)
Tapping in to try to close out 2 that were partially answered:

18. I am going to say the airline was Delta

19. First stop was BWI

18. Ah, it wasn't Delta.

19. Yep! And here's the sched....

OZ 531: New York LaGuardia (LGA) 12:54p - 1:45p Baltimore (BWI) 2:15p - 2:58p Champaign (CMI) 3:18p - 3:45p Peoria (PIA) 4:00p - 5:05p Sioux City (SUX) 5:23p - 5:45p Denver (DEN)
Meal service: Snack BWI-CMI
Equip: DC9-30

jlemon May 8, 2021 10:25 am

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 33235340)
Wasn't this when Singapore Airlines had their very brief flirtation with quite a sizeable 727-200 fleet ? Well, they had to do something with them. So I'll guess it was running Hong Kong-Bangkok-Singapore.

As soon as they were all delivered, they began selling them off again, something which Singapore has considerable form for. Looking at our recent mentions here, several came to Alaska Airlines, and at least one to Dan-Air in Britain.

21. Indeed it was....and you are correct, sir! Here's the complete sched...

SQ 642: Singapore (SIN) 8:00a - 9:40a Bangkok (BKK) 10:40a - 2:40p Hong Kong (HKG)
Freq: Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays only
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Breakfast SIN-BKK, Lunch BKK-HKG
Equip: B727-200
Note: SQ 642 operated with DC-10 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays only

BTW, other narrow body equipment operated nonstop from Bangkok to Hong Kong at this time included Air India with a 707, British Airways with a VC-10, Cathay Pacific with a 707, China Airlines with a 707, and Japan Air Lines with a Super DC8.

Seat 2A May 8, 2021 11:15 am

[QUOTE=jlemon;33236051]10. You're in Curacao in 1970 and are on your way to San Juan. Your flight operates daily and makes one stop en route. Identify the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft.

Ah, it wasn't ALM nor was the equipment a DC9-10. But you are quite a bit closer now with regard to the aircraft. And the flight in question did indeed stop in Aruba.

Let's go with KLM and the DC-8-63

jrl767 May 8, 2021 11:16 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 33236069)
14. Yep! And I mistakenly indicated above that Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton was the first stop. It was actually the second stop. Here's the sched....

AL 777: Boston (BOS) 10:57a - 11:51a Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (AVP) 12:15p - 12:37p Allentown (ABE) 1:01p - 1:54p Pittsburgh (PIT) 2:20p - 2:40p Chicago O'Hare (ORD)
Meal service: None
Equip: DC9-50

AL777 PIT-ORD was my first flight on a D95 (27 Dec 75, in the middle of a Liberty Fare jaunt)

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 33236057)

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 33236069)
Nope

23- my first metaphorical dart landed near Byron Airport which is 41 miles from San Jose/SJC and 42 miles from Oakland/OAK ... as either of those would be a feasible stop for RC between PHX and SEA, I’ll offer them sequentially in the interest of reducing downline back-and-forth

jlemon May 8, 2021 11:35 am

[QUOTE=Seat 2A;33236202]

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 33236051)
10. You're in Curacao in 1970 and are on your way to San Juan. Your flight operates daily and makes one stop en route. Identify the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft.

Ah, it wasn't ALM nor was the equipment a DC9-10. But you are quite a bit closer now with regard to the aircraft. And the flight in question did indeed stop in Aruba.

Well I can't think of any other regional DC-9-10 operators other than possibly VIASA. Indeed I had to check on that because I always associated them with the -30. Here's a picture:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...1_edited-2.jpg

Anyway, let's go with VIASA and the -10

10. Well, it wasn't VIASA. And please note my comment above: "...nor was the equipment a DC9-10". So we've ruled out the short fuselage DC9. Which means.....

WHBM May 8, 2021 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 33236207)
AL777 PIT-ORD was my first flight on a D95 (27 Dec 75, in the middle of a Liberty Fare jaunt)

My ONLY ride on a DC9-50 was on Republic, Toronto to Detroit, in probably autumn 1980. I always think of it as the "DC9 King Size", as that's what Austrian Airlines, an early taker, called it (in English) in their Vienna advertising when they got the first ones in the mid-1970s. At the time Austrian shared a lot of their DC9 resources and scheduling with Swissair, but there were significant issues the latter ran into at Zurich with it on account of noise, it was the last standard JT8D-powered aircraft to debut, and was considered the last straw by various residents' groups there as being worse than the DC9-30 which had gone before. It also had issues with fuel consumption as well, and was really a driver for the MD-80, both Swiss and Austrian getting rid of them quite soon.

The last ones I saw active were with Finnair, who built up a fleet of them and still had them at Helsinki when I passed through in mid-2003.

jlemon May 8, 2021 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 33236501)
My ONLY ride on a DC9-50 was on Republic, Toronto to Detroit, in probably autumn 1980. I always think of it as the "DC9 King Size", as that's what Austrian Airlines, an early taker, called it (in English) in their Vienna advertising when they got the first ones in the mid-1970s. At the time Austrian shared a lot of their DC9 resources and scheduling with Swissair, but there were significant issues the latter ran into at Zurich with it on account of noise, it was the last standard JT8D-powered aircraft to debut, and was considered the last straw by various residents' groups there as being worse than the DC9-30 which had gone before. It also had issues with fuel consumption as well, and was really a driver for the MD-80, both Swiss and Austrian getting rid of them quite soon.

The last ones I saw active were with Finnair, who built up a fleet of them and still had them at Helsinki when I passed through in mid-2003.

I had a number of rides on the DC9 series 50 including with Muse Air and Northwest as well as interisland on Hawaiian Air. The latter usually referred to their series 50 aircraft as "D9S" (instead of "D95") equipment in the OAG for some arcane reason, no doubt....