FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

jrl767 Mar 15, 2019 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 30891944)
Yep....but what model Jetstream?

the original, OAG code “HPJ”

jlemon Mar 15, 2019 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30891999)

Nope, this wasn't a Handley Page product.

jrl767 Mar 15, 2019 3:21 pm

J31 then

jlemon Mar 15, 2019 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30892020)
J31 then

Nope, it wasn't a BAe Jetstream 31 (or for that matter a Jetstream 32, either).....

And that means it was a BAe Jetstream 41.

BTW, as some may recall, there was also a Jetstream 61 which was the new, improved version of the BAe ATP. However, as WHBM had already guessed an ATP, that effectively eliminated the J61 which I believe never made it into serial production.

WHBM Mar 15, 2019 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30891999)

Unfortunately ... Manx didn't have an original Jetstream. In fact, no UK airline ever did. However, they did, at the time of the question, have 4 or 5 of he later Jetstream 31 model, different manufacturer, different factory, different engines. Looked a bit the same though. Manx means coming from the Isle of Man. They were a jointly owned offshoot of British Midland and Air UK, though British Midland dominated, who at the time also owned Loganair, plus their own fleet. The propeller aircraft, and the routes, seemed to move around between these three almost at random every year

The J41 was new into service that year. Manx and Loganair had the first deliveries, they got a few each. Notably they are all still around, more than 25 years later, all operating now for Eastern Airwaays.

In early 1974, a Concorde was sent to an airport for cold weather testing for twelve days. The aircraft remained outside for several nights at this airfield in temperatures as low as minus 44 C. Identify this airport.
Was it at Resolute ?

jlemon Mar 15, 2019 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 30892129)
Unfortunately ... Manx didn't have an original Jetstream. In fact, no UK airline ever did. However, they did, at the time of the question, have 4 or 5 of the later Jetstream 31 model, different manufacturer, different factory, different engines. Looked a bit the same though. Manx means coming from the Isle of Man. They were a jointly owned offshoot of British Midland and Air UK, though British Midland dominated, who at the time also owned Loganair, plus their own fleet. The propeller aircraft, and the routes, seemed to move around between these three almost at random every year

The J41 was new into service that year. Manx and Loganair had the first deliveries, they got a few each. Notably they are all still around, more than 25 years later, all operating now for Eastern Airways.

Was it at Resolute ?

As I've mentioned in the past, I was very familiar with the original Handley Page Jetstream as I was running the ad campaign back then for Santa Barbara-based Pacific Coast Airlines, an HPJ operator which formerly operated as Apollo Airways. The engines on the HPJ were notoriously unreliable and on a number of occasions Pacific Coast flights had to land with one engine out. And when Pacific Coast began flying out of the high elevation airfield at South Lake Tahoe (TVL) with the HPJ, I hoped for the best, especially during the summer months!

As for Eastern Airways, I'm quite familiar with them as well as my former employer, Bristow Group, still has a controlling interest in this air carrier. IMHO, the J41 is not a bad airplane - it's just getting a bit long in the tooth. Before I retired from Bristow Helicopters U.S. division last July, I was working in conjunction with Eastern Airways concerning a possible fixed wing passenger shuttle service linking Georgetown, Guyana with Port of Spain, Trinidad to be operated under contract for a supermajor oil and gas company utilizing either a J41, a Saab 2000 or (preferably in my mind) a new ATR-72 (Bristow is currently operating AgustaWestland AW139 helicopters in country in Guyana in support of offshore oil and gas exploration activities and BTW folks, a huge amount of recoverable hydrocarbons has now been discovered offshore of Guyana).

But let's get back to our Concorde quiz item.....

Ah, it wasn't Resolute (YRB). Please guess again, sir!

strickerj Mar 15, 2019 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 30892295)
But let's get back to our Concorde quiz item.....

Ah, it wasn't Resolute (YRB). Please guess again, sir!

I just looked up the Concorde’s range, and it’s longer than I recalled - 3900 nm. That puts much of the Northwest Territories and the North Slope of Alaska in range. How about Yellowknife (YZF)?

Toshbaf Mar 15, 2019 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj (Post 30892487)

I just looked up the Concorde’s range, and it’s longer than I recalled - 3900 nm. That puts much of the Northwest Territories and the North Slope of Alaska in range. How about Yellowknife (YZF)?

You may be right but I disagree. I'd say Fairbanks (FAI). FAI was very popular for this type of work in the early days of the jet age before Frobisher Bay became popular for it. So FAI.

Toshbaf Mar 15, 2019 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 30882724)
We are making great progress and here's what's still in play.....

8. It's 1966 and you are in Lima, Peru. It's time to get back to business and that means a flight to New York City. You've found a flight that operates three days a week departing at 6:15 am which will get you into New York by 7:00 pm. Three stops will be made en route. You book a seat in first class. Identify the airline, the three stops in order and the equipment.

Braniff International, stops in GYE, PTY, MIA, Boeing 707

YVR Cockroach Mar 15, 2019 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 30890681)
And speaking of Concorde, here's a bonus quiz item......

In early 1974, a Concorde was sent to an airport for cold weather testing for twelve days. The aircraft remained outside for several nights at this airfield in temperatures as low as minus 44 C. Identify this airport.

Greetings from MOZ where it's totally unsuitable for cold weather testing.

Lots of coastal Canada isn't that consistently cold. And given it's Concorde, I doubt if the northern/Arctic airfields are long enough. It'd have to be a military Cold War-era field so i'll guess the airfield in question is Goose Bay.(YYR).

strickerj Mar 16, 2019 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 30892788)
You may be right but I disagree. I'd say Fairbanks (FAI). FAI was very popular for this type of work in the early days of the jet age before Frobisher Bay became popular for it. So FAI.

That also seems reasonable. Actually that reminds me, my dad used to visit Bombardier in Montreal frequently (when the C-Series was under development), and they mentioned having done some cold weather testing in Barrow (now Utqiagvik). That came up since we had actually been there - before talks of the merger, dad had some Northwest miles to that he wanted to get rid of since he was switching all his travel to Delta. We wanted to see the furthest we could go on a domestic award ticket, and since Alaska was the same price as domestic back then, the answer was Barrow. :)

Of course, I’m not suggesting that as an answer since I’m not sure a 7100’ runway is long enough, and I’m not even sure if it was paved back then. With the issues Concorde had with FOD, I doubt they ever risked landing on gravel, as a lot of the arctic airfields are.

jlemon Mar 16, 2019 10:44 am

Originally Posted by strickerj (Post 30892487)

Nope, it wasn't Yellowknife.....

jlemon Mar 16, 2019 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 30892788)

Yep, it was Fairbanks. Here it is....you'll need to select "Photo Gallery: Concorde at 50: Droop Snoop", scroll through the slides, then select "Concorde at 50: Faster Than A Speeding Bullet" and scroll some more.....

https://aviationweek.com/commercial-..._images-192791

Note the dog team & sled and the portable airstairs courtesy of Pan Am which was serving FAI at this time with the Boeing 707.

jlemon Mar 16, 2019 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 30892819)
Braniff International, stops in GYE, PTY, MIA, Boeing 707

A great guess.....however, it wasn't BN, the aircraft wasn't a 707 and the flight in question did not stop at GYE, PTY or MIA.

jlemon Mar 16, 2019 11:09 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach (Post 30892919)
Greetings from MOZ where it's totally unsuitable for cold weather testing.

Lots of coastal Canada isn't that consistently cold. And given it's Concorde, I doubt if the northern/Arctic airfields are long enough. It'd have to be a military Cold War-era field so i'll guess the airfield in question is Goose Bay.(YYR).

Please see my response above.....it was Fairbanks.