Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

FRA-SFO on UA/LH very expensive mid-May, why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*PPS NZ*G Elite QF*G

I did a search but didn't see any better place to discuss this:

I'm trying to book FRA-SFO return around the 16th - 20th May 2011, and economy fares on LH/UA appear to be very expensive.. over €2000 on LH and over $3000 on UA. Evidently the route is very heavily booked, but I can't find any information on why this route might be so heavily loaded on these dates? Is there some major international event at one end of this route around these dates?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 7:19 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
I can't explain it but I've experienced it myself. If you have wiggle room on your dates, I found that prices go down for travel beginning on 28/6. I moved my euro-trip dates and did significantly better. Z fares on LH and CO are particularly attractive compared to Y if you want to invest the money.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:01 am

Noticed the same thing also for the two KLM flights, AMS-LAX and AMS-SFO. I'd be willing to bet that there are a bunch of tour groups that books these up during the summer time.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Donīt know the reason why LH/UA is so heavily booked (likely a conference, tour group etc.), but the there are plenty of reasonably priced options:

BA is about 1100€
AF/KL/DL are about 1150€
LX is about 1400€

LX and BA are certainly more comfortable than the UA/LH 744s, the LH 388 isnīt bad, but nothing to get excited about in Y.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Donīt know the reason why LH/UA is so heavily booked (likely a conference, tour group etc.), but the there are plenty of reasonably priced options:

BA is about 1100€
AF/KL/DL are about 1150€
LX is about 1400€

LX and BA are certainly more comfortable than the UA/LH 744s, the LH 388 isnīt bad, but nothing to get excited about in Y.
I've heard that LH's J on the 388 isn't anything to get excited about either, but I'll be able to do a comparison to QF's at the end of June.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by 7Continents
I've heard that LH's J on the 388 isn't anything to get excited about either, but I'll be able to do a comparison to QF's at the end of June.
As the OP asked about Y fares, I didnīt comment about the C product, but indeed youīre right that the LH C product is nothing to get excited about, they decided to use the same, old-style "lie-flat" C seats used on all other air planes. Iīve flown LH C on the 388, and except for the reduced noise of the plane, thereīs nothing to get excited about.

(the F product is supposed to be great, but havenīt seen it personally yet)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.