FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Warm destination to travel to for spring break? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1182411-warm-destination-travel-spring-break.html)

uoficowboy Feb 10, 2011 12:15 am

Warm destination to travel to for spring break?

Hi - my girlfriend and I would like to go somewhere warm for spring break. She lives in IL and would be flying out of ORD or MDW, while I'm in Seattle so would like to fly out of SEA.

She's off from 3/18-3/27 - but the trip does not need to be the full length of her time off. I'm a working stiff so I can take whatever days off I need to.

Anybody have any suggestions as to a good place to go? We're pretty much just looking to relax somewhere warm. We had talked about Puerto Rico but flights seem to be really expensive ($700+ for me and $500+ for her) and have terrible connections (lots of overnight flights).

We're also looking at Cancun, or maybe somewhere in Florida.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm hoping to spend ~$1K/person on hotel + flight.

Thanks so much!

missydarlin Feb 10, 2011 1:16 am

Spring Break is a hard time to find a good deal to warm destinations...

Have you looked at Vacation package deals?

Disclosure: I work for Alaska Air.
http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/pro...on-Savings.asp

You could book a trip together out of Seattle, then book her separate tickets from Chicago and she could spend a day or two in Seattle with you on each end of the trip.

Or you could book the vacation package for just yourself and then buy flight direct from Chicago to wherever you are going.

Puerto Vallarta? Cabo? Hawaii?

rearview Feb 10, 2011 7:49 am

If you want domestic and easy, you can both get nonstop flights to Miami.

sonofzeus Feb 10, 2011 8:02 am

Originally Posted by uoficowboy (Post 15837020)
We had talked about Puerto Rico but flights seem to be really expensive ($700+ for me and $500+ for her)

Just returned ORD-SJU 198USD total AA nonstop 4 hours. Glad I travel off peak. The sun/surf/sand/rum were perfecto.

Italy98 Feb 10, 2011 8:17 am

We just returned from a week at the Sugar Ridge resort in Antigua and enjoyed every moment. From our balcony we had a direct view of the ocean. The resort offers a shuttle service to four beaches and the Jolly Harbor area.

hawaiian4 Feb 10, 2011 6:39 pm

i like hawaii check there web site for package deal or book air and hotel sept.
out of seattle it's no stop about 5-6 hour's

Ancien Maestro Feb 10, 2011 9:30 pm

Spring Break we are at Big Island/Maui for 19 nights^

uoficowboy Feb 12, 2011 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Italy98 (Post 15838530)
We just returned from a week at the Sugar Ridge resort in Antigua and enjoyed every moment. From our balcony we had a direct view of the ocean. The resort offers a shuttle service to four beaches and the Jolly Harbor area.

Flights from Seattle seem to be ~$800. Yowza!

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 15843014)
Spraing Break we are at Big Island/Maui for 19 nights^

Hawaii is not much cheaper - ~$750

Originally Posted by rearview (Post 15838379)
If you want domestic and easy, you can both get nonstop flights to Miami.

Miami is just slightly cheaper than San Jan - about $500 for the days we want.

I guess this is a combination of not booking far enough in advance (~5 weeks) and flying at a peak time.

Where would I find package deals that might make any of these cheaper?

flightslim2010 Feb 12, 2011 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by uoficowboy (Post 15853803)
Flights from Seattle seem to be ~$800. Yowza!

?

looks good.

William S Feb 12, 2011 11:55 pm

Springbreak hmm. I currently study in Hawaii, and I am excatly the opposite. I want to get the hell out of here for springbreak. I am considering Fiji, California (for visiting relatives) or Canada. I was considering Tokyo but it seems like the flights are bought full already (ie only business class available when I checked). I can't really hide that it is partly because of the US drinking age I want to get out of here. My relatives live in Riverside in California so it's just 2 hrs with Greyhound to San Diego so I can cross over to Mexico for some beer. :P

But then again. Hawaii is a warm destination. If you would like to go somewhere of the beaten path you could try Kiribati as I considered aswell, but due to weird connections I put it off my list.

Ancien Maestro Feb 13, 2011 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by uoficowboy (Post 15853803)
Miami is just slightly cheaper than San Jan - about $500 for the days we want.

I guess this is a combination of not booking far enough in advance (~5 weeks) and flying at a peak time.

Where would I find package deals that might make any of these cheaper?

$500 is a great deal.. I would book before everything is jacked up.

Emeraldcity Feb 13, 2011 7:26 pm

Hi - my girlfriend and I would like to go somewhere warm for spring break. She lives in IL and would be flying out of ORD or MDW, while I'm in Seattle so would like to fly out of SEA.

I am in Seattle too. When I need to a break and want some warmth, I head to San Diego. Easy enough flight and there is so much to do.

PBQ Feb 13, 2011 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Emeraldcity (Post 15858394)
I am in Seattle too. When I need to a break and want some warmth, I head to San Diego. Easy enough flight and there is so much to do.

We're in Seattle, too. I would suggest Palm Springs or Scottsdale.
PBQ

cogitate Feb 13, 2011 7:51 pm

Hey, Vegas baby! Seriously, many college students spend part or all of Spring Break at Las Vegas where the temps are pleasant in mid-March.

I myself will be in Vegas then. Join me and the college kids at the poker tables at MGM Mirage and Monte Carlo!

N830MH Feb 14, 2011 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 15843014)
Spring Break we are at Big Island/Maui for 19 nights^

Wow! Thats long? You will spent there for 2 1/2 weeks in Hawaii, huh? Unbelievable!!

Hope you have a great time.