Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Warm destination to travel to for spring break?

Old Feb 10, 2011, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Hi - my girlfriend and I would like to go somewhere warm for spring break. She lives in IL and would be flying out of ORD or MDW, while I'm in Seattle so would like to fly out of SEA.

She's off from 3/18-3/27 - but the trip does not need to be the full length of her time off. I'm a working stiff so I can take whatever days off I need to.

Anybody have any suggestions as to a good place to go? We're pretty much just looking to relax somewhere warm. We had talked about Puerto Rico but flights seem to be really expensive ($700+ for me and $500+ for her) and have terrible connections (lots of overnight flights).

We're also looking at Cancun, or maybe somewhere in Florida.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm hoping to spend ~$1K/person on hotel + flight.

Thanks so much!
Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:16 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Spring Break is a hard time to find a good deal to warm destinations...

Have you looked at Vacation package deals?

Disclosure: I work for Alaska Air.
http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/pro...on-Savings.asp

You could book a trip together out of Seattle, then book her separate tickets from Chicago and she could spend a day or two in Seattle with you on each end of the trip.

Or you could book the vacation package for just yourself and then buy flight direct from Chicago to wherever you are going.

Puerto Vallarta? Cabo? Hawaii?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 7:49 am

If you want domestic and easy, you can both get nonstop flights to Miami.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uoficowboy
We had talked about Puerto Rico but flights seem to be really expensive ($700+ for me and $500+ for her)
Just returned ORD-SJU 198USD total AA nonstop 4 hours. Glad I travel off peak. The sun/surf/sand/rum were perfecto.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
We just returned from a week at the Sugar Ridge resort in Antigua and enjoyed every moment. From our balcony we had a direct view of the ocean. The resort offers a shuttle service to four beaches and the Jolly Harbor area.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:39 pm

Programs: HA PUALANI GOLD
i like hawaii check there web site for package deal or book air and hotel sept.
out of seattle it's no stop about 5-6 hour's
Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Spring Break we are at Big Island/Maui for 19 nights^
Old Feb 12, 2011, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Italy98
We just returned from a week at the Sugar Ridge resort in Antigua and enjoyed every moment. From our balcony we had a direct view of the ocean. The resort offers a shuttle service to four beaches and the Jolly Harbor area.
Flights from Seattle seem to be ~$800. Yowza!

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Spraing Break we are at Big Island/Maui for 19 nights^
Hawaii is not much cheaper - ~$750

Originally Posted by rearview
If you want domestic and easy, you can both get nonstop flights to Miami.
Miami is just slightly cheaper than San Jan - about $500 for the days we want.

I guess this is a combination of not booking far enough in advance (~5 weeks) and flying at a peak time.

Where would I find package deals that might make any of these cheaper?
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Flights from Seattle seem to be ~$800. Yowza!

?
looks good.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:55 pm

Springbreak hmm. I currently study in Hawaii, and I am excatly the opposite. I want to get the hell out of here for springbreak. I am considering Fiji, California (for visiting relatives) or Canada. I was considering Tokyo but it seems like the flights are bought full already (ie only business class available when I checked). I can't really hide that it is partly because of the US drinking age I want to get out of here. My relatives live in Riverside in California so it's just 2 hrs with Greyhound to San Diego so I can cross over to Mexico for some beer. :P

But then again. Hawaii is a warm destination. If you would like to go somewhere of the beaten path you could try Kiribati as I considered aswell, but due to weird connections I put it off my list.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Miami is just slightly cheaper than San Jan - about $500 for the days we want.

I guess this is a combination of not booking far enough in advance (~5 weeks) and flying at a peak time.

Where would I find package deals that might make any of these cheaper?
$500 is a great deal.. I would book before everything is jacked up.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Hi - my girlfriend and I would like to go somewhere warm for spring break. She lives in IL and would be flying out of ORD or MDW, while I'm in Seattle so would like to fly out of SEA.
I am in Seattle too. When I need to a break and want some warmth, I head to San Diego. Easy enough flight and there is so much to do.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:34 pm
PBQ

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Emeraldcity
I am in Seattle too. When I need to a break and want some warmth, I head to San Diego. Easy enough flight and there is so much to do.
We're in Seattle, too. I would suggest Palm Springs or Scottsdale.
PBQ
Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt, Marriott
Hey, Vegas baby! Seriously, many college students spend part or all of Spring Break at Las Vegas where the temps are pleasant in mid-March.

I myself will be in Vegas then. Join me and the college kids at the poker tables at MGM Mirage and Monte Carlo!
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Spring Break we are at Big Island/Maui for 19 nights^
Wow! Thats long? You will spent there for 2 1/2 weeks in Hawaii, huh? Unbelievable!!

Hope you have a great time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.