Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TripAdvisor

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
I still trust TripAdvisor. To determine accuracy of the reviews, you just have to be cognizant of other sources (like FT for prefered locations around a city and then see if the review 'fits' what others are saying).
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I assume that this would be in violation of Italian internet privacy laws and should be reported. Maybe too late now.
Eh, we must choose our battles (and our escalations). It's quite enough for me to see that her establishment (which was ranked about #115 at the time) is now ranked below #200
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by China Clipper
Eh, we must choose our battles (and our escalations). It's quite enough for me to see that her establishment (which was ranked about #115 at the time) is now ranked below #200
Understood. But it seems a little risky for a business to pull that kind of stuff in Europe with its strict privacy laws.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by flipstah
I still trust TripAdvisor. To determine accuracy of the reviews, you just have to be cognizant of other sources (like FT for prefered locations around a city and then see if the review 'fits' what others are saying).
Exactly. Look for the patterns and the common threads. ^
Old Nov 7, 2014, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
There are so many silly once a year vacation travelers or tourists posting as "The voice of experience" on Trip Advisor that I take most everything posted there with a grain of salt.
I agree -though full disclosure I do write the odd report on Trip Advisor.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:35 am

Here is an interesting article about a couple charged 100 GBP for posting a negative TripAdvisor hotel review ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...ne-review.html

Hopefully the hotel will be criminally prosecuted for this.

Last edited by cheltzel; Nov 19, 2014 at 6:44 am
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Here is an interesting article about a couple charge 100 GBP for posting a negative TripAdvisor hotel review ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...ne-review.html

Hopefully the hotel will be criminally prosecuted for this.
Oh, I'm sure they'll get plenty of bad reviews now

edit: Actually, they do already have. Rougly 60% are terrible, out of 250 or so..

http://www.tripadvisor.de/Hotel_Revi...e_England.html
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Oh, I'm sure they'll get plenty of bad reviews now

edit: Actually, they do already have. Rougly 60% are terrible, out of 250 or so..

http://www.tripadvisor.de/Hotel_Revi...e_England.html
Regardless of the ratio of +/- reviews, this is a terribly coercive action on the hotel's part.

Hopefully the British authorities that are supposed to protect consumers will get involved.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:57 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Looks like Italy thinks TA is no longer reliable:

TripAdvisor Fined $610,000 in Italy for Failing to Prevent Fake Reviews
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:26 am

I really don't believe any reviews I read on the Internet. Just too many spammers and people trying to game the system. Also many of the terrible/negative reviews I read about are complaining about things that really wouldn't bother me as much. Some people seem to get so whipped up about minor things. Many of my hotel stays are short so I can pretty much get through any thing for a couple of nights. Location and price are my two most important factor in determining if I am going to book somewhere.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by JumboJet
Also many of the terrible/negative reviews I read about are complaining about things that really wouldn't bother me as much. Some people seem to get so whipped up about minor things.
I also read many reviews that guests get terribly upset about little things, but then I realize that the author is probably overstressed, underpaid or overworked and getting into serious credit card debt for this once a year family vacation. It's not the same when you get a vacation for little out of pocket using miles and points and minutae is trivial.

I have witnessed too many times during check in that the family next to me spent a fortune on Expedia and gets a basic room, and I use points and get an upgrade.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
I don't think it's too hard to tell a real review from a fake one. Or at least, to tell reviews that have the indicia of reality, and then just ignore the other ones.

Indicia of reality? To me, likely real reviews are not too excited one way ("BEST PLACE EVER!!!!") or the other ("HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE HOTEL IN EVERY DETAIL!!"). They are generally balanced. They don't HAVE to be balanced, because sometimes people have a very pleasant or very negative experience. But even the most positive or negative reviewer will generally throw in an "on the other hand" comment. Fake positive reviewers have a hard time slipping in even one detail about the negative aspects of a facility or service. The more sophisticated fakes probably do slip in one or two "minor negatives" (they didn't have enough towels, but they fixed that) to seem balanced. If there is only a minor negative mentioned, my radar is up for fake.

The next big indicia of reality are DETAILS. Details details details. "My room was horrible" carries no weight with me. Instead, "my room had only one clean towel, and there were dirty glasses, and it had not been vacuumed or cleaned under the bed, and I had to wait 1 hour past check in time to even get in" is helpful. Similarly, "the staff is great!!!!" means nothing. "The hotel manager accommodated my unusual request for two extra pillows fluffed by Arnold Schwarzenegger" is helpful.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by knav2013
I think you are correct. It's not too difficult. I always look at the profile of the user leaving the review. His/her other reviews...
Do you honestly expect us to read all of that?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I look mainly pictures and other useful practical information what people post on TA. Then again, I don't trust at all the part of review pertaining to value people post, which is very balanced, I rather make my own conclusions based on pictures and other information.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:35 pm

Up to you

Originally Posted by moondog
Do you honestly expect us to read all of that?
You can read as much, as little or opt not to read it. Up to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.