Denied Boarding Incident with Legal Name Change Document Involved

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Boarding Incident with Legal Name Change Document Involved

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:51 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT TravelBuzz Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:35 pm

I legally changed my first name not too long ago. I brought my US passport, name-change court order, passport application, and airline reservation print-out, to the Passport Agency. I fully expected to be charged for a new passport plus expedited processing fee. Maybe I just got lucky or maybe it was a new policy... but I was not charged anything. I wasn't about to argue with them about why I wasn't charged, right? The lady told me to come back in a few hours to pick up my passport. When I showed up after lunch, my new passport with my new name was ready.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:59 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Moral of the story - book your airline reservations in the name printed on the legal document you are planning on using for travel.

You could use one document for the gate and another for entry into the country you are traveling to. Could result in some problems, but rarely.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 5:28 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Originally Posted by Slow learner
The rules for International travel really have nothing to do with Passports, Visas, name changes etc. The principle is very simple. The TSA, CBP, and Airline Gate Agents need to match the name on your boarding pass with the name on your travel documents. Everything you do to make that anything other than a simple comparison is a step on the road to disappointment.

The acceptable answers to "Do the names match exactly?" are:

a. Yes - Good answer.
b. No - Bad answer.
c. Long-winded explanation for (b) - Bad answer.

Anything you do that requires the TSA, CBP, and Airline Gate Agents to make a Career threatening judgement call significantly reduces your chance of getting on that flight. If you are a professional gambler with a passion for exciting outcomes, then do it the way you did it, if not, change the passport.
Indeed. As a long time bureaucrat I can assure this is always the case.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Slow learner
The acceptable answers to "Do the names match exactly?" are:

a. Yes - Good answer.
b. No - Bad answer.
c. Long-winded explanation for (b) - Bad answer.

Answer C can sometimes land you in the little office in the back....
Old Jun 26, 2010, 7:21 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mc40638
The US easily transfers VISA from an old (often expired) passport to a new one quickly at an embassy, or simply requires you present the old passport. I assume many countries have the same procedure. Since US visa are often good for 10 years and most passports are not valid for that period of time, this makes sense.

What I am confused about is this. I travel internationally a lot. Visas are checked when you checkin and not at the gate in my experience. [Aside note: Since South Africa requires a BLANK page in your passport even if a visa is not required, the airlines check for this].
Every time I travel from ORD to GRU, UA checks visas at the gate and stamps your boarding pass that it has been checked and is valid.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your feedback. Never had any problem entering a country with the above way mentioned.

Originally Posted by fti
Moral of the story - book your airline reservations in the name printed on the legal document you are planning on using for travel.

You could use one document for the gate and another for entry into the country you are traveling to. Could result in some problems, but rarely.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

@gelplanes...Thank you for your feedback. Did you ever use that us passport with your old name and name change document to book a reservation in your NEW name, then go to the gate, present your boarding pass with new name, us passport with former name, and name change doc and be allowed to board? Hope that makes sense. Please let me know. Best regards.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by trancedrhythmear
@gelplanes...Thank you for your feedback. Did you ever use that us passport with your old name and name change document to book a reservation in your NEW name, then go to the gate, present your boarding pass with new name, us passport with former name, and name change doc and be allowed to board? Hope that makes sense. Please let me know. Best regards.
I believe gelplanes said that they had their passport reiussed after the name change. If the passport name doesn't match the ticket name, you won't be allowed on the plane.

Get a new passport.

It really comes down to this...

Airlines get HUGE fines and financial penalties if they fly somebody to their destination that hasn't been approved. In many cases, these approvals are done electronically. If the ticket/passport names don't match, they run into issues with the ability to verify you. It's easier and safer for them to not let you on the plane and tell you to go F*** yourself then take the risk. Even if your paperwork was valid for the other country, there is no incentive for the airline to take the risk.

In addition, a name change document from a local court doesn't mean anything to another country. The destination country is under no obligation to accept the document.

IMO The airline made the right move.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

@denverhockeyguy...thank you for your feedback. What is your background with the airline industry? Are you a gate agent?

Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy
I believe gelplanes said that they had their passport reiussed after the name change. If the passport name doesn't match the ticket name, you won't be allowed on the plane.

Get a new passport.

Airlines get HUGE fines and financial penalties if they fly somebody to their destination that hasn't been approved. In many cases, these approvals are done electronically. If the ticket/passport names don't match, they run into issues with the ability to verify you. It's easier and safer for them to not let you on the plane and tell you to go F*** yourself then take the risk. Even if your paperwork was valid for the other country, there is no incentive for the airline to take the risk.

In addition, a name change document from a local court doesn't mean anything to another country. The destination country is under no obligation to accept the document.

Old Jun 27, 2010, 1:24 am

yes, the Passport Agency me issued me a new passport with my new name. My old passport with old name was returned to me. The lady at the Passport Agency pick-up window told me that they only return the old passports(invalidated) if it was a normal replacement.(i.e. expired or about to expire) If it was a name change, they don't return the old passport, unless you make a special request. Since they didn't charge me anything for the new passport and I had no previous foreign visas in the old passport, I didn't bother to ask.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 1:44 am
Original Poster

So to clarify gel planes, before you received your new passport, you never traveled with the old one and used your name change doc to board? Is this correct?

Originally Posted by gelplanes
yes, the Passport Agency me issued me a new passport with my new name. My old passport with old name was returned to me. The lady at the Passport Agency pick-up window told me that they only return the old passports(invalidated) if it was a normal replacement.(i.e. expired or about to expire) If it was a name change, they don't return the old passport, unless you make a special request. Since they didn't charge me anything for the new passport and I had no previous foreign visas in the old passport, I didn't bother to ask.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Perhaps it is an imprudent assumption that I needed a US passport to enter Canada. According to Canada Border Protection it is not a requirement for US citizens to have a passport to enter canada. Therefore, my drivers license should have been sufficient to board (which I did show before cutoff time) and the name change document and US passport with former name becomes irrelevant.

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/c...y_requirements

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-...dmiss-eng.html

Get a new passport.

Old Jun 27, 2010, 4:45 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by trancedrhythmear
...regarding an incident I was in last July 2009. I was scheduled to fly from minneapolis to montreal, an international flight. I checked in and proceeded thru security checkpoint okay. When I got to boarding area, about one hour before departure, I took a seat and waited to board. I boarded with the other passengers and showed the gate agent my US passport (which has my former name on it) and my boarding pass (which has my current name on it) and also my signed stamped and certified order from the court granting name change. I also showed him my MN drivers license which had my current name and my 2nd passport which had my current name. He denied me boarding.
If I am reading your posts correctly, you are a dual national. You checked in with your non-US passport & got your BP (both w/ new name), then tried to present your US passport (w/ old name) to board the plane. GA denied your boarding.

My understanding from reading FT is that, by law, US citizens are required to exit and enter the States using US passport/s. Putting aside the name-matching problem, I don't think you were following the rules when boarding the plane last July.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 5:06 am
Original Poster

@lin821...thank you for your feedback. Yes, correct, I am a dual national. I did NOT check in with non-US passport. Like Ive always done when I fly internationally, I checked in with my name change documentation and US passport with former name and received a BP with my current name.

In general, leave and enter the US with a passport depending on where you are going to. With Canada, it was different. Im a "non canadian resident but resident of US" thus Canada does NOT require a US passport to enter, according to their border protection site.

Originally Posted by lin821
If I am reading your posts correctly, you are a dual national. You checked in with your non-US passport & got your BP (both w/ new name), then tried to present your US passport (w/ old name) to board the plane. GA denied your boarding.

My understanding from reading FT is that, by law, US citizens are required to exit and enter the States using US passport/s. Putting aside the name-matching problem, I don't think you were following the rules when boarding the plane last July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.