FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What do you do on an airplane to keep busy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1080732-what-do-you-do-airplane-keep-busy.html)

domyoji May 4, 2010 7:14 am

Go Shopping in the Sky Mall :p

Im usually flying for 10+ hours at a time, so I watch whatever is available on the IFE/AVOD or listen to music.

Oh and drinking

localady May 4, 2010 7:14 am

Originally Posted by PTravel (Post 13891564)
Drink
Listen to music on my iPod
Drink
Watch movies on my laptop
Drink
Listen to Channel 9 on UA
Drink
Sleep
Repeat

OMG... you got my pattern down to a tee a pretty good deal of the time :D (except for when I'm on Del-duh. When I'm on UA I listen to channel 9 - When I'm on Del-duh, I play on-line trivia)...

The rest of the times, you have it here:

So, my answer is window gazing, movies and reading...oh, and if in F, drinking. If I am in Y, then my answer is complaining, grunting, spitting, and clock watching.

gatorray May 4, 2010 8:38 am

I remember listening to Channel 9 a long time ago. I haven't been on United in a while. I wish the other airlines had that.

linsj May 4, 2010 10:11 am

Most of the time I read. Sometimes on long flights I work on my laptop after the meal service, but I'd rather be reading.

phedre May 4, 2010 11:53 am

Depends on my mood. I pack a few things for distraction:

- Books. MUST have books to read. Any flight <2h, this is usually what I do for the entire flight.
- iPhone. It has my music and a selection of simple games. If I'm reading, I'll plug in my noise cancelling headphones and listen to music at the same time.
- Macbook pro. Always has a selection of movies ready to go if I feel like it. On long flights, this is my staple. I went through SO MANY movies during my weekly YUL -> LAX phase.

bniu May 4, 2010 11:58 am

Do homework, watch movies on my iPhone and iPad. Play games on them. Play cards with a friendly seat mate, read. I find that IM quite productive on planes as far as doing work.

El_Duderito May 4, 2010 12:05 pm

During my last MR I bought the current National Geographic at MSP. It kept me busy for hours and may actually count as edutainment.

another_shot May 4, 2010 3:00 pm

good ideas (what I do): drink champange and cognac in arbitrary order; maybe watch a movie; sleep.

not-so-good ideas (what others do): work, especially with commercially sensitive files (but if your neigbour do, always look what he/she has there - sometimes very valuable info!).

gobluetwo May 4, 2010 3:16 pm

In no particular order:

Read a book, magazine, newspaper, in-flight mag, etc
Work - laptop or printouts (I usually sit in the window with laptop angled and with screen protector so snoops like jcbarioca can't see my screen ;))
Study (1.5 quarters until I'm done with b-school!)
Crossword/sudoku/other puzzles
Watch a movie/tv show that i've downloaded to my laptop
Watch in-flight entertainment
Sleep
Listen to ch4 or my non-i-product portable media player
Chat with my neighbor occasionally
Eat

Flaflyer May 4, 2010 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel (Post 13891564)
Drink
Listen to music on my iPod
Drink
Watch movies on my laptop
Drink
Listen to Channel 9 on UA
Drink
Sleep
Repeat

OP should disregard advice like above. Too much work. ;) Use the simplified version:

Put on noise cancelling headphones.
Drink
Drink
Drink
Drink
Sleep
If you wake up, repeat steps 2 thru 6.

Originally Posted by N1Hawk (Post 13884202)
I'm flying from Cleveland to Houston and then Houston to Calgary in Aug with my girlfriend. My question is this, What do you do on the aircraft to keep yourself busy.

Work on your membership application for the Mile High Club? :D

Some serious advice: Change your perspective. Do a mileage run to Singapore. Your trip is what, a three hour segment and a four hour segment? Seems like a long time in flight to a non frequent flyer. Fly 21 hours one way to SIN then turn around and fly 21 hours back. From CLE that is half way round the world then back, the only trip longer is to Australia but SIN tickets are much cheaper. Once you make that 21 hour trip each way to Asia, you will NEVER complain about a little 4 hour segment again. ^ It's not even a warm up commuter segment any more. You'll find you don't even have time to get settled in your seat and you are already landing. ^

Plus after experiencing the maximum 12 hours of time zone change, you will LAUGH at your friends who whine "I went from NY to LA and the 3 hour jet lag was just Horrible." :D

longwaybackhome May 4, 2010 5:04 pm

read books or magazines, listen to music, maybe watch a movie or soccer game on my tiny mp3 player screen, futz around with the IFE if there is any, get up and walk around if I have an aisle seat, chew gum, drink water, eat if there's food, glower when someone hits my foot that's in the aisle when my legs are crossed, admire the cartoons on the safety card, do puzzles if I've brought a magazine or if no one's written in the in-flight magazine, whine.

RCyyz May 4, 2010 5:15 pm

I'm a voracious reader. Airplane time is perfect for getting through long, dense books. I can't take thriller / best sellers because I go through them too quickly then there's nothing left to do. :(

I also have my iPod Classic loaded with just about every CD I have. Depending on what I'm reading, I can typically match the music to suit the mood of the book.

I try to fly at the front of the bus as much as I can so there's usually some sleep involved as most of my flying is Canada to Europe or Asia. But even for a simple domestic or transborder route there's a book involved in my flying.

Non-NonRev May 4, 2010 5:25 pm

Watch:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Read:

http://www.opera.co.uk/userfiles/ima...ro/93-9201.png

Surf the web (on Gogo-equipped flights):

http://static.myopera.com/community/...main/opera.gif

Efrem May 4, 2010 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by N1Hawk (Post 13884202)
...I'm flying from Cleveland to Houston and then Houston to Calgary in Aug with my girlfriend. My question is this, What do you do on the aircraft to keep yourself busy.

What is wrong with this picture? :D

Icypackattack May 4, 2010 7:05 pm

Do my pre-vacation homework
watch people make idiots of themselves
listen to my iPod
talk to my fellow travelers
play the trivia game on DL
watch the movie Up in the Air
eat
drink
sleep - not very often
chew gum