Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What do you do on an airplane to keep busy?

Old May 2, 10, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass,MileagePlus

I've been talking with a friend. He says to go out to Future Shop and buy myself an 8GB I-Pod Touch. If the flight is short will then run a movie or use the TV system in the airplane? I'm flying from Cleveland to Houston and then Houston to Calgary in Aug with my girlfriend. My question is this, What do you do on the aircraft to keep yourself busy.
Old May 2, 10, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Watch video on the netbook. Read a newspaper. Sleep.
Old May 2, 10, 2:29 pm

I am usually kept busy by our children.

If not, then I usually just take in the inflight movie.
Old May 2, 10, 2:38 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
I've been trying to sleep or at least attempt to nod off... doesn't really work most of the time, but it seems to make chunks of time disappear.

with Virgin Blue, JetBlue or Virgin America its easy... watch TV!
Old May 2, 10, 2:40 pm

Read a good book.
Old May 2, 10, 2:46 pm

Try mumbling mildly psychotic nonsense under your breath yet intelligible while in the air trying to get a rise out of the person next to you or in front of you.

That's always fun!
Old May 2, 10, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I read, eat, drink, sleep, listen to music, chat with my companion... and if I'm really bored I watch the moving map (the adult version of "are we there yet?")
Old May 2, 10, 2:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Read a book, watch the movie/TV segments they offer, or catch up on stuff on the netbook, clean out my mailbox, edit pictures from the trip, etc.
Old May 2, 10, 3:00 pm

Read.

If my seatmate is stupid enough to work, I look over the shoulder long enough to find out if there's any interesting confidential information out in the open on her/his laptop. If so I watch and make notes. I have had some very interesting discoveries that way.

Whatever you do NEVER open confidential files during a flight unless you're in an F suite, and then be very careful.
Old May 2, 10, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by N1Hawk View Post
I've been talking with a friend. He says to go out to Future Shop and buy myself an 8GB I-Pod Touch. If the flight is short will then run a movie or use the TV system in the airplane? I'm flying from Cleveland to Houston and then Houston to Calgary in Aug with my girlfriend. My question is this, What do you do on the aircraft to keep yourself busy.
Forget the I-product. The screen is way too small to comfortably watch movies. Not to mention the tennis-elbow you'll be getting.

For work, I have a sub-notebook. For pleasure, I have a netbook. I load up my favourite programs and watch those.
Old May 2, 10, 3:07 pm

If I'm online (Internet) I like to track the flight in a couple online trackers and see how close they are by looking out the window for recognizable features.

Not good for hours, but can burn up a few minutes here and there for distraction.
Old May 2, 10, 3:13 pm

Programs: US Airways Platinum 2012, Hilton Diamond
Smile

[QUOTE=cordelli;13884367]Read a book, watch the movie/TV segments they offer, or catch up on stuff on the netbook, clean out my mailbox, edit pictures from the trip, etc.[/QUOTE

Ditto! Makes the trip go faster.

Jimbo
Old May 2, 10, 3:50 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Braindrain View Post
Forget the I-product. The screen is way too small to comfortably watch movies. Not to mention the tennis-elbow you'll be getting.
Absolutely get an iProduct. In cramped economy class the screen is plenty big enough to watch movies. If you're worried about tennis elbow just get a little stand.

Originally Posted by Braindrain View Post
For work, I have a sub-notebook. For pleasure, I have a netbook. I load up my favourite programs and watch those.
If you go the netbook route, be sure to get a boostaroo. Most notebooks don't have a volume level that's high enough to comfortably watch a movie, particularly if you're seated near the jets.

http://www.boostaroo.com/store_detai...FRRUgwodW1cI-w
Old May 2, 10, 3:54 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium
Listen music off my iPod Touch and finish the sudoku puzzles in the magazines within minutes.
Old May 2, 10, 4:23 pm

Programs: CO-Gold
Airplane time is my reading-time or puzzle-book-time. I never bother opening my laptop unless I've been upgraded. It's just not worth it back in the cramped coach seats.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: