Wiki Posts
Search

How to prevent headaches after air travel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2006, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LatinPass Million Miler
How to prevent headaches after air travel

It seems that whenever I travel via plane for more than a few hours, I get headaches for the next few days. I assume that it's due to the dry air on planes, but I don't know how to prevent them. I try to drink lots of water enroute and get enough sleep, but I'm still bothered with considerable headaches for a few days. It's not jetlag, because it happens when I travel south and remain within an hour of my home time zone.

Any advise?
Old Feb 20, 2006, 12:45 am

I've read that for every hour you are in the air, you need to drink 8 oz of water. I also get raging headaches after flying for more than a few hours, and have assumed its due to dehydration as well. But I'm a big sleeper on the plane, and never manage to drink that much water. I usually end up taking ibuprofen as I'm getting the headache. If I don't the headache will also go onto the next day.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 12:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Do you have any history of sinus issues? I get headaches after most flights, but since I have sinus issues in general, I always assume it is because of the in-flight pressure change or the difference in atmospheric pressure/temperature between my starting point and destination. WebMD has a good paragraph called Flying and Diving under the heading "Sinusitis" that describes my issues.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/4/1680_51930.htm

Water helps, but I usually need to take Tylenol Allergy and Sinus (or similar OTC medication) within the first hour after landing. If I catch the signs early enough, I usually can avoid the headache itself. For places I travel frequently and always get a heacache (i.e. Las Vegas), I just take the pills before taking off.

Last edited by dbuckho; Feb 20, 2006 at 1:04 am
Old Feb 20, 2006, 1:17 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I do both. Heavily hydrate with water throughout the flight and take an OTC sinus/allergy med. It works for me.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LatinPass Million Miler
dbucko,

Thanks for the informative article. I do suffer from allergy and sinus problems and am glad to know that the headaches I always suffer from after flying may be prevented. I reprinted the article and will put it in my rollerboard to remind myself to medicate properly before, during and after flight. (I'm currently suffering from a headache after returning from Nicaragua on Sat and just took some sinus medication in hopes that it may help relieve the symtoms.). Motrin and Tylonol never seem to work very well for me and now it makes sense.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
The headaches I get on board long flights is from altitude sickness. Even though the plane is pressurized, it is still equivalent to about 7,500 ft. Check your resting heart beat after a couple of hours on a plane and if it’s higher than normal, you most likely have altitude sickness.. Yes plenty of water is a must. If you normally drink beverages with caffeine, don't cut them out completely as that will lead to withdraw headaches.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:05 am

Programs: National Visas, Psychic Guild, Wicked Innovations
heya!
here's what you can do:

-Drink plenty of fluids (preferably water)
-slap on some moisturizer and lip balm to combat the dry air in the flight cabin
-Don’t leave home without your inhaler if you have asthma
-Clear your head with a hot, steamy shower after you land
-Avoid smoky bars when you reach your destination or while you wait for a connecting flight, instead try to get as much as fresh air as you can.

Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I avoid taking any kind of vasoconstrictor. That means NO antihistamines. These give me trouble in the air and cause bad headaches.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:04 am

Programs: DL GLD, AA PLT, PC PLT, NATL Emrld
There are a variety of saline nasal gels and sprays that keep your sinus passages moist. I use them b/c mine have a tendency to dry out on flights which causes irritation and eventual headaches. Also, if you haven't figured it out by now...a constant consumption of H2O is mandatory, not an option.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:22 am

Thanks for all the helpful advice.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Olton Hall
Even though the plane is pressurized, it is still equivalent to about 7,500 ft.
Yup -- just to elaborate slightly, today's airliners are pressurized to around 8,000 feet. Boeing's dropping that (well, increasing the pressure) to around 6,000 feet on the 787, a pressurization at which the number of people who report headaches is about the same as on the ground.

Unfortunately, this doesn't help OP's problem, unless you're willing to wait a couple of years.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:19 pm

For anyone who has significant headache problems, I would speak to your doctor about it. There are a number of medications that may be helpful.

You may find out that your headaches are migranous or have other vascular causes (not saying anything dangerous, just something that can be helped). If you are very altitude-sensitive, there are things to do for this as well.

Although I don't suffer from classic migraine (visual auras, etc.), my headaches are migranous, and one of the potential triggers is flying. (I always carry Imitrex which is incredible for me.) These types of headaches are very common and are under-diagnosed: 40% of neurologists have self-diagnosed migraine.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 4:06 pm

Programs: Delta, Southwest, American, United
Thumbs up Recommendations to Prevent Headaches After Air Travel

Huge thanks to all who offered advice in this thread! Shame it took numerous Google searches to find it, as advice collected hear is more complete than any of the medical sites!

My Predisposing Factors:
  • I have chronic nasal alergies for which I regularly take Claritin
  • I typically drink lots of coffee the morning before I fly
  • Business trips frequently force me to change wake/sleep times and duration during a trip

My symptoms: On any flight exceeding 2 hours in duration:
  • My nose starts to run about 1 hour after take-off
  • Irrespective of time zone changes (occurs even when just flying north-south), I almost always experience a slowly-growing headache within 1 hour of landing
  • The headache's unbearable by the next morning (usually prevents me from sleeping the whole night)

What I've tried that hasn't worked:
  • Advil or Tylenol (eventually helps after 7 hours, but not soon enought to do any good)
  • Gravity inversion (Teeter Hang-Ups table)

What I've tried that sometimes helps, when available:
  • Chiropractic adjustment (especially w/neck)
  • Soaking feet in unbearably-hot water

What I've learned from this thread and others I've read:
  • Reduce or eliminate coffee intake, if possible
  • Avoid antihistimines (I'm guessing this includes Claritin?)
  • Drink lots of fluids during and after flight
  • Consider taking Tylenol Allergy and Sinus (or similar OTC medication) during or immediately after a flight
  • Use saline nasal gels and sprays that keep your sinus passages moist(improves ability for sinuses to drain)
  • Consider seeing doctor for Imitrex or similar prescription
  • Clear your head with a hot, steamy shower after you land

This thread's quite old. Anyone have any updated suggestions?

Last edited by IlDavo; Dec 2, 2009 at 4:10 pm Reason: Fixed typos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.