FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What is an irrop? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1011397-what-irrop.html)

GITU Oct 29, 09 6:28 am

What is an irrop?

Apologies if this is somewhere else. Tried Google, the FT Glossary, and the FT search with no real luck.

What exactly is an irrop? What does it mean and how does it affect me?

bitburgr Oct 29, 09 6:48 am

irrop = irregular operations

It's when things don't go as scheduled due to maintenance or weather issues.

GITU Oct 29, 09 6:52 am

Thanks. So how does it affect a pax? Anything I can do to make an irrop easier on you when it happens?

bitburgr Oct 29, 09 6:58 am

Originally Posted by GITU (Post 12730240)
So how does it affect a pax?

Your flight is delayed or cancelled, potentially missing a connection. Or you are now flying out two days later because all the other flights are full.

Originally Posted by GITU
Anything I can do to make an irrop easier on you when it happens?

Status helps. As does patience. So does having airline phone numbers so you can start making calls while waiting in line to be rebooked (if necessary). Is there any advantage to waiting at the end of that long line to see an agent? might provide some insight...

gj83 Oct 29, 09 7:02 am

Now the question is: how is it pronounced? I always though it was like EAR op, but the other day on airtran the CS agent told another one to long i ROP me onto the flight I wanted to get on.

EAR op or i ROP?

jackal Oct 29, 09 8:52 am

Originally Posted by gj83 (Post 12730277)
Now the question is: how is it pronounced? I always though it was like EAR op, but the other day on airtran the CS agent told another one to long i ROP me onto the flight I wanted to get on.

EAR op or i ROP?

I've always heard EAR-op (IRRegular OPeratons) when talking to other FTers. Never heard EYE-rop (it's not EYEregular OPerations :D).

I've found that in any industry, industry insiders have their own jargon separate from outsiders. In other words, airline employees and airline travelers are often two groups separated by a common language. ;)

fairviewroad Oct 29, 09 11:18 am

Originally Posted by bitburgr (Post 12730221)
irrop = irregular operations

It's when things don't go as scheduled due to maintenance or weather issues.

Do maintenance problems count? I've always thought of "Irrops" as referring to widespread problems...a blizzard, ATC issues, etc. An isolated mechanical delay/cancellation, while inconvenient, does not really strike me as rising to the level of "irrops". A single cancellation is much different than an entire hub suffering from 2+ hour delays (for example).

mersk862 Oct 29, 09 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by fairviewroad (Post 12731647)
Do maintenance problems count? I've always thought of "Irrops" as referring to widespread problems...a blizzard, ATC issues, etc. An isolated mechanical delay/cancellation, while inconvenient, does not really strike me as rising to the level of "irrops". A single cancellation is much different than an entire hub suffering from 2+ hour delays (for example).

I consider anything outside of completing the flight within its scheduled timeframe (give or take a certain window) is an irrops. If mainetenance cancels your flight, it's most certainly an irrop in my book, as that was something that wasn't planned to occur by the airline at all and adversely affected the customer.

Janus Oct 29, 09 5:54 pm

I have always been a fan of eye-r-op; it could be from my many years IRC'ing and say IRCop as eye-r-see-op :)

Jazzed91 Oct 29, 09 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 12730734)
I've always heard EAR-op (IRRegular OPeratons) when talking to other FTers. Never heard EYE-rop (it's not EYEregular OPerations :D).

I've always said it as EYE-Rop, versus EAR-Rop. But thats just me, everyone has their only little way of doing things.

hoob Oct 29, 09 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jazzed69 (Post 12734847)
I've always said it as EYE-Rop, versus EAR-Rop. But thats just me, everyone has their only little way of doing things.

I've always heard it as EYE-ROPS and I work in/for the airline/airport industry.

MarqFlyer Oct 30, 09 8:24 am

Count me as someone who has always thought of it as EAR-rop. As someone mentioned, that's based on the fact that it's short for IRRegular OPerations, so I just assume that the pronunciation from the words would carry over.

And I agree with the poster who said an IRROP would be anything that interrupts any flight (except for "routine" minor delays). I guess the hallmark for me is the need to take different flights from those scheduled, and/or getting to my destination more than a couple hours after my scheduled arrival.

Efrem Oct 30, 09 8:47 am

I've always heard IRR-ops (generally in the plural, even if only one flight is affected) from airline personnel. Never EYE-rops.

Maybe it's like IRR-ak or EYE-rak. IRR-ack (or irr-ACK) is correct, at least to Iraqis, but that doesn't stop lots of Yanks from saying EYE-rack. Might have something to do with what fits best with the overall speech patterns they're used to.

djk7 Oct 30, 09 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by hoob (Post 12735339)
I've always heard it as EYE-ROPS and I work in/for the airline/airport industry.

Originally Posted by MarqFlyer (Post 12736775)
Count me as someone who has always thought of it as EAR-rop. As someone mentioned, that's based on the fact that it's short for IRRegular OPerations, so I just assume that the pronunciation from the words would carry over.

Maybe a duel would help settle this, we just need one volunteer to represent each group :p

Janus Oct 30, 09 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by djk7 (Post 12738020)
Maybe a duel would help settle this, we just need one volunteer to represent each group :p

What, frequent flyer cards at ten paces? First to give the other one a paper cut wins?

:P