FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What is an irrop? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1011397-what-irrop.html)

MarqFlyer Oct 30, 2009 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by djk7 (Post 12738020)
Maybe a duel would help settle this, we just need one volunteer to represent each group :p

Meet me at sundown...or the next time my flight gets delayed, whichever comes first.;)

beckoa Oct 31, 2009 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Efrem (Post 12736897)
I've always heard IRR-ops (generally in the plural, even if only one flight is affected) from airline personnel. Never EYE-rops.

Maybe it's like IRR-ak or EYE-rak. IRR-ack (or irr-ACK) is correct, at least to Iraqis, but that doesn't stop lots of Yanks from saying EYE-rack. Might have something to do with what fits best with the overall speech patterns they're used to.

Concur... I pronounce (or at least I think I do) :p irr-ops, with emphasis on "i"... but it seems YMMV :D

tuapekastar Oct 31, 2009 2:25 am

And here's me thinking it was pronounced F$#%-up! :o

navylad Mar 20, 2016 1:28 am

Originally Posted by GITU (Post 12730240)
Thanks. So how does it affect a pax? Anything I can do to make an irrop easier on you when it happens?

Ensure you have medication in your hand-luggage and also have at least a change of underwear in there too if not a change of clothes- when IRROPS happen, you may not get your luggage back during the delay. Advice also helps in the event of lost luggage.

abmj-jr Mar 20, 2016 3:10 am

Was there really a reason to resurrect this 7-year old thread?

oenophilist Mar 20, 2016 3:43 am

Thanks. So how does it affect a pax? Anything I can do to make an irrop easier on you when it happens?

When you encounter irrops, there are definitely strategies for managing them which depend on your ultimate goal. Usually there are three possible goals: 1) to get to your final destination at or near the time you expected; 2) to gain benefit from the airline in the form of compensation, miles, etc; 3) to minimize any discomfort associated with the irrop. Sometimes you can achieve all three, but it depends on your priority. If you prioritize compensation or benefits, then you will often (but not always) give up arriving on time at your destination.

Once an irrop occurs, you essentially begin a competition with other flyers. If, for example, a flight is cancelled, then the airline has to get 100+ passengers to the same destination with a limited inventory. The faster you can get that inventory allocated to you, the faster you will arrive at your destination (usually). Getting that inventory allocated to you depends on your a) status; b) speed of engaging with a customer service rep, c) class of service.

There are multiple strategies for engaging with customer service during irrops. The four most common are: 1) gate agent; 2) customer service desk at the airport; 3) phone agents; 4) lounge agents. Infrequent flyers will usually target #1 or #2 and wait in long lines. Frequent flyers will normally head to #4 while trying to call #3 on their mobile phones. Of course you have to be entitled to lounge access in order to engage with lounge agents.

Finally, to minimize discomfort, many airlines will offer food or drink vouchers while you wait. Be sure to take advantage of those.

Edited to add: Geez, didn't realize this was a 7 year old thread.

LondonElite Mar 20, 2016 4:14 am

Yes, make sure you get some alcohol in you.