FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Tools (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools-701/)
-   -   Best mobile apps for traveling? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools/1982895-best-mobile-apps-traveling.html)

Pepperlater Aug 6, 2019 6:15 am

Best mobile apps for traveling?

What less known apps do you use while traveling? I want to expand my current list:

josephstern Aug 6, 2019 12:57 pm

Haven't seen AroundMe in years - maybe a decade. Is that any good these days?

And I'll add the obvious: Google Maps. But be sure to build your custom map at mymaps.google.com before you go, and then open on your phone at your destination. Very helpful for me.

Dread Pirate Jeff Aug 12, 2019 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 31386349)
Haven't seen AroundMe in years - maybe a decade. Is that any good these days?

And I'll add the obvious: Google Maps. But be sure to build your custom map at mymaps.google.com before you go, and then open on your phone at your destination. Very helpful for me.

How custom is that? I've never used mymaps.google.com, I always just download offline maps using the mobile app itself before I leave.

Also, seconding AroundMe. I haven't used that in YEARS but this prompted me to download it again and try it out.

josephstern Aug 12, 2019 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff (Post 31408360)
How custom is that? I've never used mymaps.google.com, I always just download offline maps using the mobile app itself before I leave.

Also, seconding AroundMe. I haven't used that in YEARS but this prompted me to download it again and try it out.

It's much more than just a cached map - and it isn't necessarily cached.

You can add your hotel, restaurants, museums, activity locations, friends' houses, etc. - any location, with a description, and even pictures.

I don't generally do it, but you can add routes also.

I'll dump in there tons of things I might want to see, and then, if I'm in a new part of town, I check to see what's right around me.

Desh123 Aug 13, 2019 1:06 pm

You can try this: "TripA" - share itinerary planner . Available on both android and iOS.
Easy to use app. Best for traveling in group.

jamcoley Aug 23, 2019 9:09 am

The few times I've traveled with friends, I found Splitwise to be incredibly useful, especially since it saves time. Airbnb, Agoda for rooms and hotels. I can also think of Hipmunk and Skiplagged for flights, Google Translate especially for the camera function. Depending on the location, I find UberEats and Instacart also helpful (only in the US I think? And so are some of the recommendations on this article). Not all intended for travel alone, but these are some of what I group together on my phone when I'm on a trip.

jobosapien Sep 25, 2019 9:27 pm

You should check out Wanderium: https://www.wanderium.com

It isn't technically a native mobile app, but it works great on your phone's web browser (a native app is on the roadmap). Shameless promotion since I'm the creator, but I'd love to get feedback from my travelers! The mission to help anyone prepare for a trip in minutes instead of hours by removing all the tedious guesswork of figuring out things like visas, vaccines, safety, etc. Think of it like a Turbotax for travel.

bitcohen Oct 31, 2019 3:32 pm

I've been happy with
Trail wallet
Skyscanner
Onplanners
Maps.me
Google trips

lu_avs55 Dec 16, 2019 6:05 am

Seat swapping app to save/make money?

I was at Gatwick yesterday and got approached by these guys from a company called Verto claiming that they could help me swap seats with other passengers on my flight. Has anyone else heard of them? Do you think they're legit?

GUWonder Dec 16, 2019 6:26 am

Originally Posted by lu_avs55 (Post 31844738)
I was at Gatwick yesterday and got approached by these guys from a company called Verto claiming that they could help me swap seats with other passengers on my flight. Has anyone else heard of them? Do you think they're legit?

Legit or not, I doubt that there are enough passengers using such a service to provide a critical enough mass to make it generally useful to the users of such an app/service.

fifty_two Jan 7, 2020 4:28 am

while travelling i use bunch of apps , see list below

checkmytrip
tripcase
flightradar
flightaware
google maps
xe currency
loungebuddy
xe travel
yandex taxi
world clock
rome2rio
onthefly
flightstats
yahoo weather
prioritypass/dragonpass

about travel management apps , check my review here = https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31918525-post29.html

LAXlocal Jan 7, 2020 5:18 pm

google translate ,

gasbuddy.com

inlanikai Jan 8, 2020 11:06 am

I keep it simple:

ExpertFlyer
FlightRadar 24
Google Maps

Splendiz Jan 24, 2020 2:28 am

My TravelApps are:

- Checkmytrip / Kayak (Flight informations)
- Skiplagged (To find cheapest fares in case of traveling only with hand luggage)
- Momondo / Swoodoo / Skyscanner (Find cheap flights via OTAs)
- Yelp (To find good restaurants)
- Google Maps (Using it to navigate with offline maps)
- Agoda / Booking.com/ Hotel Tonight / Expedia / Trivago (Hotels)
- Uber / Grab (Asian Uber)
- Seat Alerts by Expertflyer (Check seat maps)
- iPass (Internet on airports and so on, not free)
- VPNUnlimited (To get a VPN Connection back home, lifetime account for about 30$ bought via stacksocial.com)
- Revolut (Debit Card with interbank exchange rates, easily the app that is most important to me while traveling)
- Google Translate (Depending on the country very useful to live-translate directly via the camera specially if characters are not latin)
- SeatGeek / TicketFire / Stubhub (In case I'm on vacation in North America and hunting for US Sport tickets)
- LoungeBuddy (To check available lounges)
- CamperMate (for Camper Vacations in New Zealand or Australia)
- DragonPass (Never tried it, just got it via the latest Dufry promotion, will be trying it as soon as I can)

bitcohen Sep 16, 2021 12:03 pm

I totally love Hotel Tonight Planner. I’ve gotten some amazing deals on hotel rooms when all the travel sites (Orbitz, Expedia, etc.) told me that everything was booked. I scored a $300/nt room in Ft. Lauderdale for $89/nt for three nights and, when that room was exhausted and I had to find another joint (Hotel Tonight lets you know how long the room is available for and, since it was a rather spur-of-the-moment trip, I was totally cool hotel-hopping), I got another great deal on another room for a couple of nights (plus free parking and free drink vouchers for the bar! Bonus!)